Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor ; Pro-Shot-Video Can't You Hear Me Knocking , Muhle Hunziken, 13 march, 2009
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 6, 2010 13:41

Come on guys, don't be so touchy. Though, it's a good sign. Well, I wrote: "sometimes it seems like I'm one of the very few etc." and that's not a fact but my personal impression. Read through it. Using Mozart, HM, is of course not an attempt to impress (interesting though that you interpret it like that), but to make something clear. Anyway, it's nice that my message made at least ba laugh. It was meant to provoke a bit, but with a grain of thruth as well. Btw: a yawning lady doesn't say so much. I've heard people sleep during the most exciting concerts that had a long standing ovation at the end. Doesn't say anything. No convincing proof.

Still I persist that even when Taylor is playing weakly (what I admitted in my first reaction, but you all seem to have forgotten that), he's still interesting to see and hear and in no ways a 'Joe Blow'. I'm still curious about a reaction of Lightin' who knows everything about Taylor and surely could explain this rather poor performance. Noticed guys? I said literally: "rather poor performance". And that's what it was. Just like Tate stated. But remember, Wood playing this piece, no matter if he's rehearsing or performing (I have seen that performance clip of CYHMK as well), is never even a bit interesting or moving, but always amazingly meaningless. "Can you hear that in the back?"

Re: Mick Taylor ; Pro-Shot-Video Can't You Hear Me Knocking , Muhle Hunziken, 13 march, 2009
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 6, 2010 13:42

Even me as a hardcore Taylor fan have my doubts..

Date: April 6, 2010 13:53

Amsterdamned

Doubts about what, A? If he still can do it? I guess when he would perform this with the Stones we would hear something totally different.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 6, 2010 13:59

he seemed to be coasting along in second gear on this. interesting how "My Favorite Things" found its way in there. He had his back to the audience the whole time...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 6, 2010 14:09

It gets me how a discussion of opinion relating to music can spur nastiness. We all appreciate the music, whether we think MT was experiencing something like neurotransmitter blockage during this clip, or if we see brilliance in it. Getting all offended and offensive is totally ridiculous. Anyway, I think this clip shows us that MT isn't totally fluid these days, and indeed made some painful blunders-- But he was never a 'flawless' kind of player. Even in some of those excellent 72/73 live clips he frequently hits bum notes. The difference is fluidity-- H does not fly around the neck the way he did then. His fingers don't move like that, or at least not in this clip. I may try to head down to see him if he really is coming up my way and I'll give y'all a full report! Now be nice!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 6, 2010 15:26

He can still play...

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:10

Just bring the guy back in the line!

With Charlie laying the rythm for MT he will nail this one
on stage. It'll be one hell of a great ride!

Just compare his ability to play to Woody's crap.
Woody doesn't even know when to start playing!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-07 07:44 by Fan Since 1964.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:18

I think I have never wittnessed such a relaxed, moving, communicative, smiling Mick Taylor ever - but never either playing so shakey and sloppy - usually he just stands still, stone-faced and plays like an angel. (Or has he given an order from the 'other Mick' to get ready and start "rehearsing" by kicking the showman out of himself, no matter some guitar chops and bum notes here and there...>grinning smiley<)

Yeah, surely an off night but I agree with Kleermaker that witnessing Taylor making mistakes - even it is a bit painful here - is more exciting than watching Ronnie making them... Or to perhaps better to say that some people's mistakes are just more interesting than someone's getting them right...

A nice jazzy arrangement of the song, though... sad that the 'star' screws it up...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-06 16:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:18

Thanks, Terraplane. Great clip!

I can't believe those who are declaring that MT can no longer play based on that one clip of a less-than-inspired performance. That would be like basing Keith's current abilities on that well-circulated clip of him butchering the opening to Brown Sugar. It was just an off performance.

Terraplanes clip shows MT still has chops and I would love to see him back with our boys, even if it's just an extended guest appearance. I doubt he would have an off night in that context!

Ross

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:23

unfortunately whoever took the solo at 2:55-3:45 sounds better than Mick T. at least to my ears

Date: April 6, 2010 16:39

oldfan
unfortunately whoever took the solo at 2:55-3:45 sounds better than Mick T. at least to my ears

Must have been EC. Stereotyped bluessolo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-06 16:40 by kleermaker.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 6, 2010 17:00

Mick Taylor does Jazzak.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 6, 2010 17:38

Well Terraplane's clip sets the score right. Great stuff.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 6, 2010 18:01

He's playing the melody of 'A few of my favorite things' around the 1:50 mark - that's what he and the bass player are smiling at.

Is this performance really over a year old, or is the title incorrect?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 6, 2010 19:34

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-29 15:26 by UrbanSteel.

Date: April 6, 2010 19:55

kleermaker
bernardanderson
the arrangement of the song is interesting. kinda cheesy but laid back. but seriously, what the hell happened to mick? he's hitting wrong notes. bum notes. this sounds like one of those "shreds" videos on youtube. clearly his wrist and fingers are weak, he can hardly play. what's the story there? has he had a stroke?

Where's Lightnin' to explain? He/she has told that during the Germany gigs Taylor had an infection in his jaw, I remember. But he does make a rather good impression to me, his hair being natural grey, communicating with the band members, moving around. The last part of the piece certainly is better than the beginning is my comment after one quick listen.

Well I made a hugh blunder. Thought it was from his German tour in March 2010! Stupid me! HM, I've surpassed you in stupidity! But we all know he has lost weight recently and made a much healthier impression. So quibbling about a performance of one song from more than a year ago seems rather futile to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 6, 2010 20:04

kleermaker
Amsterdamned

Doubts about what, A? If he still can do it? I guess when he would perform this with the Stones we would hear something totally different.

Agreed ,but this is not his best performance to say the least.
I wonder what was wrong with him more then the fact he wasn't in shape.
Any mental problems?Your thoughts please..

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 6, 2010 20:32

Yes he's laidback and just having a good time - BUT

Jagger would get alot more out of him!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2010 00:30

kleermaker
Anyway, hearing Taylor playing this piece is ten times more attractive and interesting than what I heard on that rehearsal clip of the Stones. Bad singing as well, btw. And Wood simply doesn't have it. Taylor at least shows during some moments that he has it. A bit out of tune, bump notes, some mistakes, that all doesn't really matter in music. The special moments matter. They are present on the Taylor clip but are absent on the Stones clip. Sometimes it seems I'm one of the very few here who really has any feeling for music. Guys like HM, JMARKO, audun-eg etc. don't have it. They don't understand that the 10 seconds in the Taylor clip I mentioned make up for all the 'wrong' notes. Btw.: ever heard of dissonance? When Mozart let his string quartet K 465 start with some heavy dissonances people thought he had become crazy, because that wasn't possible in music. I see the same thing in Taylor sometimes. That makes him more interesting and clarifies partly his talent to move and touch if you're able to be touched and being moved. But narrow-mindedness can stand in the way, doesn't it HM? Anyway, fan or no fan, Ron Wood does not have the capacity to move and touch by his playing. At least not with the Stones, and I doubt if he can in any other setting. If he could I would be the biggest fan of Wood.

Stop making a fool out of yourself with posts like this. And to add: posting here is about quality, not quantity.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-07 14:42 by Mathijs.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 7, 2010 00:37

I am sure he can still play fine, but this wasn't impressive at all. It didn't help that he had a pretty bland backing band, and his soloing sounds more like Robby Kreiger on a bad day. Plus he looks like Brian Wilson in the late 70's (not that it has anything to do with his musical ability).

Really not much better than Ronnie's solos on the Licks tour. Why in the hell do people who should be clearly capable struggle with this song? It's not so hard to play at all. I am not great at it, but I do realize it has a lot to do with tastefulness and being fluid/melodic.

Date: April 7, 2010 00:51

Mathijs
kleermaker
Anyway, hearing Taylor playing this piece is ten times more attractive and interesting than what I heard on that rehearsal clip of the Stones. Bad singing as well, btw. And Wood simply doesn't have it. Taylor at least shows during some moments that he has it. A bit out of tune, bump notes, some mistakes, that all doesn't really matter in music. The special moments matter. They are present on the Taylor clip but are absent on the Stones clip. Sometimes it seems I'm one of the very few here who really has any feeling for music. Guys like HM, JMARKO, audun-eg etc. don't have it. They don't understand that the 10 seconds in the Taylor clip I mentioned make up for all the 'wrong' notes. Btw.: ever heard of dissonance? When Mozart let his string quartet K 465 start with some heavy dissonances people thought he had become crazy, because that wasn't possible in music. I see the same thing in Taylor sometimes. That makes him more interesting and clarifies partly his talent to move and touch if you're able to be touched and being moved. But narrow-mindedness can stand in the way, doesn't it HM? Anyway, fan or no fan, Ron Wood does not have the capacity to move and touch by his playing. At least not with the Stones, and I doubt if he can in any other setting. If he could I would be the biggest fan of Wood.

Stop making a full out of yourself with posts like this. And to add: posting here is about quality, not quantity.

Mathijs

I remember a post of you in the thread Who is Who. Is that what you mean by "Stop making a full out of yourself" and "posting here is about quality, not quantity"?
Come on Mathijs, don't act like a mediocre schoolmaster please. I won't repeat your own remarks.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 7, 2010 02:51

kleermaker
But we all know he has lost weight recently and made a much healthier impression. So quibbling about a performance of one song from more than a year ago seems rather futile to me.

Agreed on all counts. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-07 03:01 by His Majesty.

Date: April 7, 2010 03:04

I agree with Kent. I saw him do this song live in 2003 and that version was inspired, alive, and amazing to watch and hear. This one is dull. He must know it because his back is mostly turned away from the audience. He is not connecting.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 7, 2010 07:48

By the way!

Who wouldn't like to have that great sound of the
Gibson guitar back in the Stones sound!

I'm one at least!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: April 7, 2010 12:28

this version sounds to me like an old fart band cover version..
don´t get me wrong, i love mick taylors input for the stones, but this is nothing. and it´s not only this time, i´ve seen taylor maybe eight years ago and it was one of the worst concerts i´ve been to. it was only sad to see that one of my heroes was playing so uninspired that you got the impression he´s only playing to pay his dues and not because he loves what he does. i think replace him for ronnie is complete bullshit. the only option imo is to take him on tour with the stones and let him play on a few songs (time waits for no one for example).it would give the stones shows a new idea and would help taylor to get him back on his feet financally..

all can´t you hear me knocking versions i´ve seen live from the stones were lightyears better, even in their struggling time in 2007.

check this version out, by far not their best, but it´s alive...

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 7, 2010 13:36

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-29 15:23 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2010 14:48

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Stop making a full out of yourself with posts like this. And to add: posting here is about quality, not quantity.

Mathijs

I remember a post of you in the thread Who is Who. Is that what you mean by "Stop making a full out of yourself" and "posting here is about quality, not quantity"?
Come on Mathijs, don't act like a mediocre schoolmaster please. I won't repeat your own remarks.

850 posts in 2 months time is just too much, especially since it's this continuous stream of how you understand it all so very well. It just makes IORR a bit less interesting to go to. It's about quality, not quantity.

Concerning my Who is Who post: I would say that 1 or 2 OT posts in 7 or 8 years (when did IORR start?) should not be too much bother to anyone.

Mathijs

Date: April 7, 2010 16:33

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

850 posts in 2 months time is just too much, especially since it's this continuous stream of how you understand it all so very well. It just makes IORR a bit less interesting to go to. It's about quality, not quantity.

Concerning my Who is Who post: I would say that 1 or 2 OT posts in 7 or 8 years (when did IORR start?) should not be too much bother to anyone.

Mathijs

Do you have a TV? Well, when you are looking at a program you're not interested in any longer then you zap to another channel or you switch off your tv. Switch off my posts and be happy. Count your blessings instead of my posts here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-07 18:38 by kleermaker.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 7, 2010 16:42

kleermaker
Do you have a TV? Well, when you are looking at a program you're not interested in any longer then you zap to another channel or you switch off your tv.
You should post that on a Doe Maar forum. winking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 7, 2010 17:06

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

You are not the one who decides how many posts are allowed in how many time and neither the one who is managing the threads here. Accept that. Just skip my posts. Do you have a TV? Well, when you are looking at a program you're not interested in any longer then you zap to another channel or you switch off your tv. Switch off my posts and be happy. If you think you can set standards for others, then you must stick to them in the first place, no matter what. But you don't set any standards here and you are not the one who decides what is quality and what isn't. The same as for quantity. I find many of your posts below my quality standards, but I don't tell you what to do or to not to do, Mathijs. You suggest to have more rights than I because you're longer on this site. But that's only an idea in your head. Well, read this post and leave the following ones alone or read them and be annoyed. That's up to you. End of discussion.

Yada yada yada yada ...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home