Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor - Reelin' and Rockin'
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 23, 2008 13:25

play that guitar boy

Re: Mick Taylor - Reelin' and Rockin'
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 23, 2008 13:41

Why isn't this guy in The Rolling Stones? ; )

Date: September 23, 2008 13:51

I will second that - Taylor's rocking and in a support role he is amazing as he was with Mayall,Stones,Dylan,and through his whole career and collaborations with many artists.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: albop ()
Date: September 23, 2008 14:06

With Bob Dylan :

and my favourite version of sway since the Sticky fingers version :

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2008 15:11

what a great tone mick taylor has on his gibson guitar .looks like a gibson 345 like a viceroy brown color like the one that taylor used on the solo for cyhmk on sticky fingers?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: September 23, 2008 15:58

[ quote=albop]
With Bob Dylan :

During "I and I" (towards the end) it's interesting how Dylan is answering Taylor's melodic -and very inventive- leads (or tries to at least), beautiful interplay between the two of them. It looks like BD realises he's not going to be able to keep up with THAT kind of playing and is happy for Taylor to get a chance to shine.
Taylor really does seem to be at his best when he's part of a strong line-up, he needs an inspiring environment and a challenge to deliver his best work on guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 16:05 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 23, 2008 16:04

That looks like George Stephenopoulous on drums!

Date: September 23, 2008 16:07

inopeng
That looks like George Stephenopoulous on drums!

I thought I recognised Colin Allen there. Both in the Reelin' and Rockin' and Dylan clips.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 21:10 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 19:12

After the '84 tour with Dylan MT must have made some money because he took '85 off. He hit the road again in '86 with this version of a poorman's Bluesbreakers. Yeah, that's Colin Allen on drums, Roger Troy on vocals and bass. The playing is stellar, but it feels to me like Taylor is marking time with this band. During this time the audience shouts out requests for songs off Taylor's '79 s/t album, but he's not ready to step up and play them. It would not be until late '86 that he finally plays tracks from that album.

With another band he plays a tremendous version of Going Down on 11/19/86 with Taylor hammering the riff and adding his seemingly infinite variations. I doubt if you will hear a better guitar version by anyone.

This is the gritty, blusey RnR that Woody cannot bring to the band. You get "the weave" on Respectable. It moves, but it's monochromatic and not interesting. I much prefer the sound of Travelin' Man.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: September 23, 2008 21:41

Giddy up :

Intervista a Mick Taylor :

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 22:06

So Taylor thought the Stones were an AVERAGE blues band, who happened to write great rock 'n' roll singles....hmmmm....

The riff of the song Taylor plays at the end of this video reminds me of Dancing With Mr. D.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:47

That first R&R clip is terrible schoolband fodder, but the clips with Dylan are amazing. Man, he could play. Btw, it's the same Les Paul as with the Stones in '72. He sold it most probably in '85.

Mathijs

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 24, 2008 23:37

I and I is out of this world.

Date: September 25, 2008 00:11

The first R&R clip with Taylor(above) is great;amazing sound ,reminds me of Mick's sound&playing with the Stones..I hope they get him back as soon as possible!!

With Dylan mwhah,Bob lost his voice...

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 25, 2008 07:59

Great thread! The first song reminds me of how cool it sounds when Taylor plays straight rock'n roll.

Date: September 25, 2008 13:07

That first R&R clip is terrible schoolband fodder, but the clips with Dylan are amazing. Man, he could play. Btw, it's the same Les Paul as with the Stones in '72. He sold it most probably in '85.

yeah and the stones without taylor live have always sounded like a garage band waiting to crash

play that guitar boy

Date: September 25, 2008 13:16

Mick Taylor & Jack Bruce - Keep It Down

taylor at 3.00 gives you a textbook vision of how to play up and down the fretboard.

play that guitar boy

Date: September 25, 2008 15:34

Thanks Open G ,
Do you also have the first song they play on the ogw test?(not Bruce on piano only)
It starts with Mick playing the intro on guitar:A/A -Bb/A -C/A- Eb- Bb-A..?
His fills on this song are very nice too.
I like this song most with the JB-band,together with "Without a word".

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 25, 2008 17:29

Mathijs:

"That first R&R clip is terrible schoolband fodder..."

You don't mean the guitar-playing I hope; if so you are a prize schoolboy twerp.

From the 30 second to one minute mark it's pure Trademark Taylor. No-one, no schoolboy does that. They would eat their heart out, and yours, if they could.
Would you do that bit for us please and post it here?
He makes it look simple. It's his unassuming style. The guitar does the expression - and it's mean!

It's that sharp, insistent, instinctive sense of rhythm that made him so good as partner to Keith. Taylor's replacement could not and can not just do these important simple things so well. And Taylor is not relying on the fuzzy tones that his replacement relied on (to very good efferct) in the Faces.

Have you listened to the clip until the end when Taylor starts to break free? From about the 4 minute 15 second mark. Do us your version of that for us too please too. It' s just joyous, natural, on-the-nail playing; without the running around and clowning.

It's his ability to subtly emphasise the right beats just enough and at perfect pace that lifts his rhythm playing above nearly that of any other player. Then circularising it and adding lead licks simultaneously.

Schoolboy fodder?

Some special class of schoolboys.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-25 17:47 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 25, 2008 22:24

I don't understand why we can't like Taylor without taking shots at Ronnie and everyone else that doesn't hate the fact that the people and the music changed over the course of 35 years.

Frankly, Reelin'and Rockin' (above) seems a bit uninspired and contains nothing special, except that it is fairly tasteful and understated. My little home town has at least 30 guitarists that could play that song that well.

Taylor is, (IMO, as usual) dragged down a bit by playing in a format and with musicians that do not allow him to show all of his considerable assets and ability. But, this is exactly what he wants to do -- this is what he chose instead of playing with the Rolling Stones.

Come on Mick. Stop insisting on being a band leader at the expense of the music. Call Dylan again. Call Stevie Winwood. Call McCartney. Call one of the young guys that can write and sing, but needs your experience and musical vision. Call somebody, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-25 22:56 by texas fan.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 26, 2008 01:37

texas fan
I don't understand why we can't like Taylor without taking shots at Ronnie and everyone else that doesn't hate the fact that the people and the music changed over the course of 35 years.

>> Taylor did the simple things well. Laying down a solid Rhythm for Keith was one of them. Easily taken for granted. It is in this connection that his replacement's thin, scratchy, more irregular style as evidenced on most of LYL does need mentionong. In recent years the replacement has been on-off in each song, and often mixed very low.
Nothing wrong with the "changing of the guards" per se. Wood has had good moments, no question. But as pmk wrote above, "This is the gritty, blusey RnR that Woody cannot bring to the band". To be fair, nor could many others.

Frankly, Reelin'and Rockin' (above) seems a bit uninspired and contains nothing special, except that it is fairly tasteful and understated. My little home town has at least 30 guitarists that could play that song that well.

>>It doesn't take a lot to play that song well, maybe. It takes something special to play it as well as Taylor does there. He's doing it all, apparently, unconsciously with a deft touch and hardly looking at either hand, except towards the end somewhat. Most R&B guitarists can do ' a Berry'. Keith does it more angularly and bitingly - his Trademark - Taylor does it more circularly and smoothly with lead fills - his Trdemark. both hard to match, (mentionong no names!)

Taylor is, (IMO, as usual) dragged down a bit by playing in a format and with musicians that do not allow him to show all of his considerable assets and ability. But, this is exactly what he wants to do -- this is what he chose instead of playing with the Rolling Stones.

>>You could argue that 'lesser musicians' only serve to highlight his talents. Taylor prefers to play with another guitarist. And he prefers to play with some high class musicians like Max Middleton.

Actually he chose to leave the Stones in order to play with a band tha included the best musicians of the day. (And the Stones had reached a musical dead end, which was opened by keith's timely arrest and the arrival of punk). But Bruce's band didn't work out. Dylan's thing did. Where Taylor was band-leader and as noted above inspired some good guitar stuff out of the Main Man himself, as he had done with KR before him.

Come on Mick. Stop insisting on being a band leader at the expense of the music. Call Dylan again. Call Stevie Winwood. Call McCartney. Call one of the young guys that can write and sing, but needs your experience and musical vision. Call somebody, please.

We'd love to see him shine with the likes of those. But he does a fine job with his own band and amongst other less well known ones. "Passing it on" one might say. I think the music gains by his humble and effective approach. But not many people get to hear him this way.

Ergo ...

All praise to OpenG and to posters on youtube who keep revealing his great talents. Amazing there's so much footage of him really.

And thanks too to Bjornulf too who has, in the past, been accustomed to closing and banning Taylor threads.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-26 01:53 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: September 26, 2008 14:11

Four Stone Walls

Schoolboy fodder?

Agree with Four Stone Walls.
To Taylor these are skills he mastered as a schoolboy. But I don't know many guitarists that can do that, except perhaps just a couple of British "schoolboys" from Taylor's generation.
It's very deceptive when he makes it look so easy. Although some viewers might get fooled into thinking they can copy what he does, it would never sound the same because
a) they are lacking that special touch and musical instinct that's ingrained in Taylor's playing
b) they forget that Taylor is not painting by numbers or imitating anyone, he just plays what comes up in his head
No amount of practising will help in this case.

Date: September 26, 2008 16:09

It's very deceptive when he makes it look so easy. Although some viewers might get fooled into thinking they can copy what he does, it would never sound the same because
No amount of practising will help in this case.-Lightning-

I disagree on both statements a bit...

Don't misunderstand me,Taylors playing here is great,he was one of the first guys playing this way,and maybe I'am his biggest fan.That's the main point.

But to play it like Mick is -technically spoken- rather easy,even with a pick.
What you hear is Mick already playing it for many years!!..Routine!
If you practise on his mainriffs,you can play them within let's say a year,if you got a bit of talent..

And if Mick would try to copy someone else...it would never sound the same
Keep both feet on the ground please.winking smiley

But to call it schoolboy fodder..that't sheer poppeycock told by someone who does not know that much about music I'am afraid.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 26, 2008 17:14

Well, these are all good points. I'm a fan of Taylor and did not mean to say he can't play. I also didn't mean to say that playing blues and early rock 'n roll was a bad thing or that this fabulous music is somehow "lesser" music. But, if you're going to pass on the tradition, part of that is passing it on with passion, and I guess I sensed that he didn't feel really engaged with "Reelin.." in this clip. Maybe, as you say, it's just that it seems so effortless because of his ability or years of practice...But that's part of my point, too -- I'd like to see him get out of his comfort zone.

Date: September 26, 2008 23:58

Four Stone Walls
Mathijs:

"That first R&R clip is terrible schoolband fodder..."

You don't mean the guitar-playing I hope; if so you are a prize schoolboy twerp.

Schoolboy fodder?

Well, the band's just not any good. So let's skip to Taylor: the first 2 minutes he's desperatly trying to get in tune, so there's not much too say about his playing. He's throwing in some regular chops he's done since he's 15 years old, only to gain time to tune his guitar. Then, his tone is way to overdriven, it's a murky hard rock style sound. The solo the is the most inspired solo ever, you see and feel Taylor's just not in to it -the band's bad, the guitar is out of tune, the sound is bad, and I bet there's two dozen people in the audience screaming for "Time Waits For No One, you fat bugger".

Taylor's playing with Bruce is utter brilliance. If you don't hear the difference in quality in the two clips -the brilliance of '75 and the washed out fodder of the 80's you're either deaf or don't know anything about quality music or guitar playing. Or both, of course.

Mathijs

Date: September 27, 2008 10:18

Taylor's playing with Bruce is utter brilliance. If you don't hear the difference in quality in the two clips -the brilliance of '75 and the washed out fodder of the 80's you're either deaf or don't know anything about quality music or guitar playing. Or both, of course.-Mathijs-

Well I like his sound(we are talkng about the same clip I think-R&R)His guitar is a bit out of tune,ok ,even John mc Laughlin sometimes had his guitar out of tune.

It's a well known fact that Micks playing with the JB band was not his best.."he fell asleep on stage" (oor 1975).His guitarsolo's coudn't really stand the test of chordprogesssion(I doubt you hear it)

Mahijs,once you made a "statement" you will never take it back.

And once more your ignorance on music and your arrogance rears it's ugly head.
Go and visit the first degree schoolboy fodder school;See if they want you there.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 27, 2008 12:14

Mathijs
That first R&R clip is terrible schoolband fodder
Mathijs

Haha You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you

Date: September 28, 2008 15:37

Well I am sorry, I find the first clip just really not any good. If that's arrogant or whatever -have it your way.

Mathijs

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 28, 2008 15:49

Mathijs
Well I am sorry, I find the first clip just really not any good. If that's arrogant or whatever -have it your way.

Mathijs

No, not arrogant at all. After all everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even though I referenced the schoolband quote, I really was surprised about the 'washed out '80s' remark. Taylor (IMO) never played better than he did when he with Mayall in the early 80s which he followed up by the Infidels tour with Dylan in the nid '80s. In the late '80s he played some stellar blues guitar some of which ended up on 'Stranger In This Town' album. Therefore I would say the 'washed out '80s' produced some of Taylor's best playing ever.

Date: September 28, 2008 16:44

Taylor's playing with Dylan was great, some of his solo work was great. but, taylor needs a good band to make him deliver his best, and unfortunately at many gigs his band isn't up to par. This first clip is -IMHO- a terribly static Status Quo like version with a "did a thousands times before and better" solo by Taylor. We know he can do better.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home