Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT:New Teenage Fanclub
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 25, 2010 20:13

If there are any fans here,i've just read that they have a new album out late May/early June.If you go to their website they're streaming of one of the new songs and,as you'd expect,it's pure Byrdsy pop loveliness

See what you think

[www.teenagefanclub.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 20:55 by still ill.

Re: OT:New Teenage Fanclub
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:16

Teenage Fanclub are one of my fave bands of the last 20 years. Absolutely sublime melodies and songs to die for. How they survive between making albums every 4 or so years is beyond me. But Grand Prix is with Screamadelica the best album of the 90s for me. And Sparky's Dream the best single.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:30

Amen to that. TFC are the business and Baby Lee is business as usual (in that it's amazing and a real single-of-the-year contender).

Gerry Love usually writes my favourite tracks. This is a Norman number, so I can't wait to hear what Gerry's been up to for the past half-decade.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:31

I actually didn't know they were still together - but I liked that album that had "What you do to me" on it. I saw them live around the time that album came out and thought they were good. I might be wrong, but I think the drummer has "Brendan, the drummer" written on the front of his set.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: March 25, 2010 21:35

It had a big 'Brendan' on it in the style of The Beatles.

They've done better stuff since Bandwagonesque, CindyC. Good as it is, Grand Prix is even better.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:07

Well I guess I'll have to check it out then!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:19

Yeah, just listened to the new single and it's already stuck in my head. I had begun to wonder whether they were still together as well. I believe Norman Blake lives here in Canada now, having married an Ontario girl. Can't wait to hear the rest of the new album, just in time for summer. Between this and the discovery that the Hoodoo Gurus have a new album out, along with the Exile reissue and the Raw Power reissue, I'm looking forward to some great tunes, new and old, in the coming months.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:25

Knew there would be people of taste on herewinking smiley

My favourite is Grand Prix but there are so many great songs all over their catalogue.Always loved this one-

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 26, 2010 10:03

Long time no post, forgot my password. But I have to reply to a Teenage Fanclub post, A band I just love.

Yes a new album soon amd I can tell you if you like the Fannies you will not be dissapointed. Check out Man Made while you're waiting.

The are playing the Koko as part of the Camden Crawl. I'll be there. There is also a tour anounced, but I expect more dates to be added.

A few month back Norman commented on that in their early days albums on constan play by the band were the first two Big Star albums and Exile On MAin Streer. I have a recording of them doing a very loose version of Happy somewhere.

There is also a lyrical referance to the Stones in the upcoming album.

Date: March 26, 2010 10:35

Oh and yes Norman moved to Canada recently, hes been married to Candadian lady for some years and they had been living in Glasgow.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 26, 2010 10:42

Bandwagonesque is the only TF CD I have. Must dig it out as I haven't heard it for years.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 26, 2010 10:45

one of the greatest bands of the last 20 years - they can do no wrong.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 26, 2010 13:30

Heard Baby Lee on the radio yesterday - the album is on my shopping list.

Date: March 26, 2010 14:34

andrewm
Between this and the discovery that the Hoodoo Gurus have a new album out, along with the Exile reissue and the Raw Power reissue, I'm looking forward to some great tunes, new and old, in the coming months.

The Hoodoo Gurus have a new album coming out? This is going to be one joyful spring. If it's half as good as Stoneage Romeos or Mars Needs Guitars we're in for a treat. Now all I need is for Jason and the Scorchers to tour the UK and it'll be the best year in ages.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 26, 2010 18:07

Hello,

Like Nanker above, I can't let the opportunity pass to comment on the Fannies. They are just so 'nice' to listen to - not always a compliment with guitar music, but definitely intended as such here. It's certainly not particularly original music, but when it's made as thoughtfully and as melodically as TFC do I can easily overlook that. Bandwagonesque is one of my favourite ever albums.

I've seen them live 3 or 4 times and the atmosphere is always great - laid back and relaxed.

Delighted they've finally returned - like Silver Dagger above , I was wondering what they've been living on!

Declan

Date: March 26, 2010 18:48

I've seen them countless times and on there is a depth to their music that goes beyond the melodies and harmonies, three great songwriters and singers.

Norman has also recorded an album with Euros Childs of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci which should be out towards the end of the year.

Those who like the Fanclub will not be dissapointed by the new album, I assure you.

Date: March 26, 2010 20:02

Silver Dagger, the new Hoodoos single is on YouTube and sounds pretty good. Can't remember the name of the new album (though I have ordered it), but it's out in the UK and North America in the next month or so. Now, back to topic....

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:45

Only really loved em up to (and including) the sublime 'Bandwagonesque' myself

Thought they went a bit old and boring after that

Date: March 26, 2010 21:02

andy js

Oh you are so wrong, but of course its all a matter of individual preferance and taste. In fact As good, no great as Bandwagonesque is, thye really matured as writets and performers after that. Grand Prix is so choc full of classics that it crys our for a duff track to break the tedium of great songs.

Date: March 26, 2010 23:04

Nanker Phlegm
Those who like the Fanclub will not be dissapointed by the new album, I assure you.

Care to share a little more info?

andy js

Your prerogative, of course, but I'm struggling to imagine preferring The King or A Catholic Education to their post-Bandwagonesque work.

Nanker Phlegm
Grand Prix is so choc full of classics that it crys our for a duff track to break the tedium of great songs.

While I know what you mean, I Gotta Know isn't Ray's finest hour.

Date: March 27, 2010 01:11

andrewm
Silver Dagger, the new Hoodoos single is on YouTube and sounds pretty good. Can't remember the name of the new album (though I have ordered it), but it's out in the UK and North America in the next month or so. Now, back to topic....

Thanks andrew. Will check it out. smileys with beer

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 27, 2010 07:21

Ha - I just put "Discolite" from Grand Prix on a playlist for someone about 20 minutes ago.

What a band - nice to hear they're still at it.

Date: March 27, 2010 16:07

CaledonianGonzo
Your prerogative, of course, but I'm struggling to imagine preferring The King or A Catholic Education to their post-Bandwagonesque work.

I just felt they went really dadrock after Bandwagonesque. Really MOR

Date: March 27, 2010 16:43

Fair enough. They certainly sanded off the rough edges and they're not the abrasive band they (sometimes) once were. But for me the lack of (for want of a better word) grunge has allowed the songwriting to flourish and the melodies to breathe.

I realise I'm in the minority thinking this, but to me they surpassed The Byrds as songwriters many years ago. Not as sonic innovators, but as purveyors of consistently fine 60s-style pop.

Date: March 27, 2010 17:17

WHat Mr. Gonzo said.

And nicer chaps you coulnt share a pint of porter with.

Dad rock, maybe ? but what does that actually mean anyway, I bet of os us arer Dads or Mums. Funnt at fanny gigs the mosh pit gets taken over by ild folk and has become known as the DAD PIT.

Maybe its better to mature with a bit of style rather then try and hang on to your youth.

Anyway I just love this band.

Date: March 27, 2010 19:32

CaledonianGonzo
I realise I'm in the minority thinking this, but to me they surpassed The Byrds as songwriters many years ago. Not as sonic innovators, but as purveyors of consistently fine 60s-style pop.

Yeah, but i hated the Byrds too

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:49

Andyjs - The Byrds were a great band great sound

Date: March 27, 2010 21:24

Yeah, I was gonna say what on earth is there to hate about the Byrds ? I mean, to each their own and everything, and I could see being indifferent to them, but...

Reminds me of an acquaintance who would always go on about how much he hated The Band (though he probably had only heard the hits) and I'd ask him what he actually hated about them and he'd reply "Dunno, I just do". Personally, I hate Nickelback, but that's just me.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: March 28, 2010 01:12

Awful

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 28, 2010 01:28

Another pioneering band that is "awful" come on the Byrds use of the twelve string guitar is one of the most influential and innovative sounds in the anals of rock music. You don't like artists that can be melodic and artistic do you?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home