Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Champaign IL 9/15/69 boot question
Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: September 8, 2008 17:37

For the '69 experts onboard, what recordings are circulating from 9/15/69 at Champaign, IL? I've got three discs and they all vary in length by a minute or two. I'm kind of wondering what "Cocaine On a Dentist's Chair" (disc 1) times out at, right now. And also, would the 2nd show still be unavailable other than the 4 or 5 songs I've read about? Or were the set lists identical from the early to late shows? Thanks for any help sorting this out.

Every couple of years I pull this tour out and I continue to be amazed at how blistering Richards is (night-in and night-out). What a genius!

Re: Champaign IL 9/15/69 boot question
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 8, 2008 18:07

I just have these on tapes from the old days. I think what you mentioned is all that's commonly available.

JR

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 8, 2008 18:20

<<Or were the set lists identical from the early to late shows?>>

Not necessarily. When they played two shows a day, the second was usually longer.

My guess is that Champaign #2 had the same setlist as the first with a possible inclusion of I'm Free. I don't think Live With Me and Gimme Shelter was played at the second show, since they were usually featured between MR and LQ, but LQ does follow MR on the existing tape of the late show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-09 01:26 by Sohoe.

Date: September 8, 2008 20:48

Thanks guys. Sohoe, when you say "the existing tape", should one assume there is only one source existing for everything 9/15/69 (first show)? And how would you quickly grade this recording on a 1 to 10 scale?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 8, 2008 21:12

As far as I know, there's only one source each for the two shows in Champaign, and we only have five songs from the second gig.

Both are given an 8 here:

[www.stonesvikingrob.com]

Currently on sale on DAC's "Vintage Champaign"; I don't have this.

There was an upgrade or lower generation tape torrented a while ago, maybe DAC took it from there?

Date: September 8, 2008 21:53

Rank Stranger
As far as I know, there's only one source each for the two shows in Champaign, and we only have five songs from the second gig.

Both are given an 8 here:

[www.stonesvikingrob.com]

Currently on sale on DAC's "Vintage Champaign"; I don't have this.

There was an upgrade or lower generation tape torrented a while ago, maybe DAC took it from there?

I think and 8 is way overated. Here is my grade, from 1 being horrible and 10 being perfect.

Champaign, IL 11/15/69 1st show; 60 min; 5.0 m; tape; 2nd gen.
Champaign, IL 11/15/69 2nd show; 27 min; 5.5 m; tape (rare)

DB

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 8, 2008 22:00

>>I think and 8 is way overated

Agreed!

Date: September 8, 2008 23:17

Yeah, its cool to have these rare shows, but definately not wearing them out. They sound like good shows, but alas, the quality.

DB

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 8, 2008 23:23

You are right about that-I have a copy of Dallas 69 thats 2 gen off the master and you can barely tell the Stones are playing! I've seen this for sale on some Japanese boot site-I'd be ashamed to sell it!

Date: September 8, 2008 23:50

I did see another title, "Another Mad Day on the Road", but will guess that it's the same source and similar sound. Speaking to the quality, I actually find these fairly listenable and enjoy them to a point but the fact that soundboard recordings were done in Baltimore, NY, and Boston makes my mouth water. Thanks all for your help. Any other info is welcome.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: September 8, 2008 23:59

These recordings are highly recommended as Mick's banter with the crowd is prolonged and hilarious, and he's clearly out of his mind on some substance. Also, the band are pretty damn good and the audience appreciative. But the audio quality is as stone-relics says: medium at best.

Date: September 9, 2008 04:20

How many shows are still missing from '69? I'd like to find one. :-)

"Welcome to Champaign, Illinois! We're right pleased to be here. It's not too often that us country folks gets to be in a big town like this. Like Champaign."

Date: September 9, 2008 04:30

Or another question (sorry), what would be some of the more significant bootleg Stones finds of, say, the last 20 or 25 years? Should I hold out hope? I need something new, preferrably from '69. ha

"I got the wiggles in my knees when she looked at me and sweetly smiled"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home