Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lindsey Buckingham does She Smiled Sweetly
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:07

a pretty cover by one of my favourite guitarists.

Re: Lindsey Buckingham does She Smiled Sweetly
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 25, 2010 07:32

Thanks. I remember him covering this but had not heard it until now. Nice cover of an often overlooked great Stones tune.

Date: March 25, 2010 08:21

he also covered "i am waiting"

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:01

Unreleased from the Gift of Screws sessions.

Date: March 25, 2010 14:57

Dark Horse 77
Unreleased from the Gift of Screws sessions.

also "gotta get away" is unreleased from those sessions

Date: March 25, 2010 18:19

Indeed it is. I have the entire album as it was going to be released originally in 2001. A great, great album that would have really established Buckingham as a major solo artist. The 2008 version is still probably his best solo album, but to me, the earlier version tops it.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:48

Gotta Get Away, She Smiled Sweetly, The Singer Not The Song, and I Am Waiting (as well as Dylan's Love Minus Zero/No Limit) were all recorded by Buckingham around 2000/2001. "I Am Waiting" showed up on his excellent Under The Skin album, the Dylan track was on a special edition of FM's Say You Will, the others were widely bootlegged with what would have been the original Gift Of Screws, an incredible album rejected by the record company as a (successful) ploy to leverage another Fleetwood Mac Album.

I always wondered of Buckingham was contemplating an album of sixties covers, then aborted it in favor of the rejected version of Gift Of Screws.

LB's versions are excellent, but I am a hopeless fan!

Ross

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:01

This is great, thanks for posting.

Date: March 25, 2010 23:19

Dark Horse 77
Indeed it is. I have the entire album as it was going to be released originally in 2001. A great, great album that would have really established Buckingham as a major solo artist. The 2008 version is still probably his best solo album, but to me, the earlier version tops it.

i agree. gift or screws is his best solo album

Date: March 26, 2010 04:58

I forgot those outtakes that others have mentioned here. Deep Dense, She Smiled Sweetly, The Singer Not The Song, etc.; I really hope Lindsey stays on the creative role he's been on and includes these on his next solo album.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:44

imo lindsey is one of the most underrated guitar players out there right now. he's world famous for being in fleetwood mac but how many people know how great he is on guitar? also mark knopfler is another underrated guitar player

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 26, 2010 13:40

I think Knopfler is more known for his playing than Lindsey. I wouldn't say Lindsey is a guitar hero quite like Knopfler is, but I've always loved his style and sound. And of course the unique guitar he plays. The fingerpicking he's done in recent years is fun... Not clean (as in, maybe a classical guitarist might not approve), but it really puts his signature on his songs, along with that great voice of his.

Date: March 26, 2010 14:19

Tate
I think Knopfler is more known for his playing than Lindsey. I wouldn't say Lindsey is a guitar hero quite like Knopfler is, but I've always loved his style and sound. And of course the unique guitar he plays. The fingerpicking he's done in recent years is fun... Not clean (as in, maybe a classical guitarist might not approve), but it really puts his signature on his songs, along with that great voice of his.

someone on the allman brothers forum tried to say when lindsey records the guitar parts in the studio he digitally speeds them up and he's not playing as fast as you think. bullshit

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 26, 2010 17:13

Yes, "Gotta Get Away" is probably his best Stones cover. I agree that the original "Gift Of Screws" album would have been even better than the actual one that came out, despite that one being his best solo album so far.

He's still got another great solo album in him, I guess.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 26, 2010 17:37

The original Gift Of Screws sessions eventually became the backbone of 3 great albums: Say You Will, Under The Skin, and The released Gift of Screws, none of which are as good as the rejected version of GOS would have been (imo). It is a shame that Lindsey had to crater to record company pressure, but I guess his sales as a solo artist didn't garnish much leverage. At least we got some Fleetwood Mac activity out of it, but these days I prefer Lindsey solo. An amazing, quirky talent!

Ross

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:08

this is quite nice and I wasn't aware of Buckingham's interest in the Stones; thanks for posting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home