Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
if Exile suddenly becomes HUGE in the mainsteam will you be 100% pleased?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 19, 2010 03:37

Like everybody here, I'm really really excited about the Exile reissue.

So, let's say it becomes really trendy and hugely popular.

On first thought, that'd be great. The more the merrier, right?!

But then I was thinking...is there any joy in being part of a group of people a little bit outside the mainstream? a group scattered all over the world linked together with this thing in common? people who have known and loved Exile on Main Street, some for decades and decades? people who know and care about it -- not only for what it is -- but also in the context of the whole Stones career and its history...and being a serious Stones fan?

Is there any part of you -- while being really happy and psyched and wishing for great success for the reissue -- that might also be a little ambivalent about seeing Exile on Main Street hit the mainstream really hard?

Like all of a sudden everyone you meet is basically saying oh yeah, Exile's always been own of my favorite albums, been listening for years? when you're pretty sure they don't (as another thread recently posited about non-hardcore fans) know for sure who Mick Taylor was...?

Re: if Exile suddenly becomes HUGE in the mainsteam will you be 100% pleased?
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 19, 2010 03:57

I could care less who likes it or not. I know I'm going to enjoy it!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 19, 2010 03:57

>>if Exile suddenly becomes HUGE in the mainsteam will you be 100% pleased?<<

For me, that would be 100% NO! Tickets for the upcoming tour would be even more ridiculous than last time.

Actually, though, it would be cool if a new generation of young fans started getting into the Stones.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 19, 2010 04:30

I don't know....yet.
maybe they won't even get it this time around.

for me that summer '72 record was THE highlight, right then and there.

I have been surprised by kids that weren't even born then - but some do dig it and know the music inside out! which I find amazing.
quite a few times I've been wondering - where the heck did they get it from?

my only explanation is: it surly is: The Greatest Rock'n Roll Band In The World...The Rolling Stones....don't let the heat overcome you when they play so loud....

and of course Keith's pass it on.

eerrr what was the question?
ok , later .

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 19, 2010 04:42

Doesn't matter...But it would be great if some of the youngsters picked up on it, juts as I picked up on Muddy Waters records when they were completely unfashionable in the 70s.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: March 19, 2010 04:58

I wont; coz its just too good.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:01

I think there's hope that it could be a decent seller because of the fact that the new Jimi Hendrix-Valleys of Neptune CD is selling so well. They both cater to the same demographic.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:16

That's a pretty big IF, but I really wouldn't be phased because Exile already means to me what it always has, and what the masses do is something I am detached from, thank god.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:29

yeah i'd love it. play it all the time on fm 'rock' radio, or it's pathetic facsimile in major usa markets... oh yeah. tons of grace falling over the total vanilla shit culture of classic rawwwk radio...

it would be great for everybody hip enuff to dig into the real tough sweet raw miracle of this amalgam...heat heart and spirit. wake the @#$%& up a bit in this sewer of modern pop. oh yeah. hope it's HUGE....again!!!

rolling stones forever

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:34

It will not. The additional songs and material don't appeal to the big masses. Even less today than 40 years ago.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:45

good enough mt...
u know when rock was more of a 'cult' kinda deal...before Life Mag and Woodstock and the complete commercialization of 'youth culture' etc....

it was like a bit the underground thing in the culture even with big pop stars...a lot of stuff kinda under the radar between the lines...the kids knew what was hip...a different cultural perspective and ambiance...

we see in americana, roots and whatever sub genres are named not making big market mass wattage stations...more of this 'small' 'cultish' kinda fandom and stuff....
mite actually be good for the actual music...which grows best, it seems to me, when wild and not encumbered by endless expectations of no nothing unit crunchers and Horrid hype...seems to me anyway...can't lose with this release...
if it's huge i'm happy.
if it's not i'm happy.
if it sucks i'm happy, cause raw rhythm section of taylor keith bill charles and nicky MORE than fascinating to me no matter what...
this is wonderful. i'm holding out for wonderful...
don't mean to add to the hype if it's dross that wasn't inspiring enough to finish...but i just feel that it's gonna be revelatory, in it's small, or big, way...but then i'm again i'm a total gone fanatic desperately hungry for this for decades... jeepers. i'm excited here.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 19, 2010 09:16

I hope it sells well because that will encourage The Stones to carry on opening the vaults ....

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 10:29

exile will never be trendy, you have to feel it in you to truly like it

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 13:05

even though it´s not my favourite record i´d be very happy if the reissue was successful.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 19, 2010 14:38

swiss

But then I was thinking...is there any joy in being part of a group of people a little bit outside the mainstream?

Being an NRBQ fan, I used to wonder how I would feel if the world finally caught on and I had to then see them in seats in the nosebleed section of an arena instead of a small club.

But the Stones? Jeez, I think they've been a part of the music "mainstream" since...England's Greatest Hitmakers (in America).

Now, whether Exile becomes a huge hit or even a fad of sorts, I would think that everyone here would want that to happen, because that's probably the most likely way that would cause the vault to be opened and fully explored in our lifetimes.

And it's not as if they would even have to find even bigger venues to perform in.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2010 14:52

in my heart it's always been huge

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 19, 2010 16:10

There will be some hype, but probably short lived. Everything is short term nowadays... And a re-issue, no matter how good, will only raise eyebrows for so long. But it does look like there will be a good deal of promotion, and with the release of L+G later this year, this all may mean we hear songs from this album a little more often, and sadly, in ads or on TV shows. But it's not like the world will be bombarded with Stones like when the Start Me Up single was out. Even the hype around the Beatles re-releases only lasted a while. Our little community here will survive just fine! winking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 19, 2010 16:35

Ha ha. WHAT tickets? WHAT tour? HA HA HA HA HA!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 19, 2010 16:49

Sure would. If The Stones were suddenly deemed cool by the majority of youngsters we'd hear a lot more on the radio and in pubs and clubs. Don't want to be part of some elitist dadrock club....anymore.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 19, 2010 17:03

Because it's my favorite cd of all times I'd love to see it appreciated by a wider audience but I don't expect that to happen. It has what it takes but I don't think the 16-28 year olds will pick it up and actually LISTEN to it. If they did, I think they'd be moved by the magic. How can the kids that buy Taylor Swift,& Lil Wayne enjoy the Stones? Can it happen? Maybe but probably not.

Date: March 19, 2010 17:07

A very few will pick up on it and "see the light". That's how it should be.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 19, 2010 17:16

from Beelyboy:

"we see in americana, roots and whatever sub genres are named not making big market mass wattage stations...more of this 'small' 'cultish' kinda fandom and stuff....
mite actually be good for the actual music...which grows best, it seems to me, when wild and not encumbered by endless expectations of no nothing unit crunchers and Horrid hype...seems to me anyway...can't lose with this release
..."

right on..there's so much to listen to and see live, if you are of a mind to search it out, that has zero to do with the mainstream mass market.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 19, 2010 17:17

"A very few will pick up on it and "see the light". That's how it should be."

A few? Why, is it our dirty little secret? Of course, if the public go and buy this it'll be good news, great for further re-issues and new projects....

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 17:22

Bearing in mind the previous re-issues were not Huge in the mainstream, and some are imo better than Exile, then I cannot see Exile being that big. If it was it would lead to a tour but even better imo open up the vaults finally. I think the Stones should be looking at the past, as The Beatles do, and cashing in while they are still around. Saying that I don't know how much money they made from the other re-issues and how much 'Ladies & Gentlemen' on DVD would make them.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 19, 2010 17:28

>> is there any joy in being part of a group of people a little bit outside the mainstream? <<

... didn't one of the apostles fret about something similar? :E

(one of the many splendid things about this glorious raunch is:
there's plenty for everyone - hear it for a thousand miles!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-19 17:29 by with sssoul.

Date: March 19, 2010 17:53

71Tele
A very few will pick up on it and "see the light". That's how it should be.

Because it is not a record with mass appeal, and one that takes some patience and sophistication to appreciate. Frankly, I wish everyone could share in how great Exile is, but that won't happen. I am content that a relatively small amount of people who weren't there when it first came out will get turned on to it, and be influenced by it.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 10:46

No. I would be really happy that other people were being introduced to the greatness that is Exile.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 20, 2010 13:23

Yeah, THe Stones are somehow "Exile on Main Stream"...

I'd love to see a younger generation to recognize the reason why there once actually were something substantive behind the cliche that this band is called The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World" by the old (healthy) farts... and the semi-retired business men get a reason to open more vaults...

EXILE has been a darling record of rock critics for decades now but it would be nice if it would be recognized also by some other people (who are not reading ROLLING STONE, UNCUT or MOJO). And that there would be a catalog album that sells something by being an actual studio album, not just another greatest hits collection... at least as much as YELLOW SUBMARINE...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-20 13:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 20, 2010 13:39

To answer the original post/ question- of course I would , the more people that realize that the stones are the greatest band EVER - the better.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 15:54

I would also be happy IF it was a success, especially among the young audience. That would show that the general taste is not that corrupt. But I can't see that happening. Dream on.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home