Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

WHY does ANY artist do this? Do they SERIOUSLY think ANYONE wants to hear this?
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: March 14, 2010 02:26

NEW vocals on "Exile" session material? And guitar overdubs?

Total SHITE!

LEAVE IT ALONE!

From the circulating outtakes/alternates there are PLENTY of different vocal performances (Sweet Virginia, Hip Shake, All Down The Line etc.).

And NEWLY WRITTEN LYRICS? PLEASE give me a HUGE break!

This will sound 100% TERRIBLE!

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 02:27 by JMARKO.

Re: WHY does ANY artist do this? Do they SERIOUSLY think ANYONE wants to hear this?
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:01

yup i agree, i can't understand the thought process. I'm shocked that they are doing this . . .

Re: WHY does ANY artist do this? Do they SERIOUSLY think ANYONE wants to hear this?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:20

From what I can gather, they've only overdubbed onto tracks that were left unfinished. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have them this way than not at all.
If all they have is a really great but basic backing track, why not finish it off?
If it's done tastefully, the results could still be fantastic. Until it's released there no way of knowing if it will sound terrible.
Personally, I'd rather have this than have alternate takes of songs I already have.

Let's not forget that Tattoo You was also made in this fashion, albeit within a smaller time frame. 1972-1981.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 03:22 by vudicus.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:22

I want to hear it - much more than I want to read posts containing EXCESSIVE CAPS.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:23

JMARKO
NEW vocals on "Exile" session material? And guitar overdubs?

Total SHITE!

LEAVE IT ALONE!

From the circulating outtakes/alternates there are PLENTY of different vocal performances (Sweet Virginia, Hip Shake, All Down The Line etc.).

And NEWLY WRITTEN LYRICS? PLEASE give me a HUGE break!

This will sound 100% TERRIBLE!

J

And you know this will sound terrible because...? The songs they added lyrics and vocals to were unfinished. It is completely legitimate to finish them. Instrumental outtakes would be a bit boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 05:35 by 71Tele.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:26

Let's reserve judgement until we HEAT IT!!!! Come on!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:56

Seriously. This guy is already denigrating an album he has NOT yet heard. Get real, J Marko, this is nothing more than trolling, and you know it.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:57

i always laugh when people are upset by messages that contain many capital letters. they're just caps! geez! aren't there worse things in this world to get worked up about?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 04:03

OK, IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE I HAVE CAPS LOCK ON! There, I fixed it now. Hmm, it still sounds the same no matter how I type it.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 14, 2010 04:09

I think its cool that they did it..And they did it cause they CAN do it....hot smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2010 04:39

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:09

How often do you listen to the unfinished Waiting On A Friend from the GHS sessions? And how often to the finished version on Tattoo You?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:11

I'm reserving judgment until I hear anything -- and am going to be optimistic in the meantime. If they did this right it's going to be a highlight of 2010. if they did it not so right it still will be pretty cool and the original Exile will always be there/

vudicus
From what I can gather, they've only overdubbed onto tracks that were left unfinished.

Mick in Rolling Stone
What sort of bits and pieces did you add?
I added some percussion. I added some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two. I added some acoustic guitar and some other things. Charlie [Watts] didn't need to come in. The drums were all perfect. "Pass the Wine," for example, was very, very long, so I edited it down. In the spirit of Exile we added some girl background vocals on "Tumbling Dice" and "Shine a Light." We had some nice background vocals on the originals. But I think in the end it's very much sounding like it was in those days, so to speak.

Keith in same article in Rolling Stone
And you and Mick added new parts to some of them?
There wasn't much to be done and I really didn't want to get in the way of what was there. It was missing a bit of body here and there, and I stroked something on acoustic here and there. But otherwise, I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were. Mick wanted to sort of fix some vocal things, but otherwise, basically they are as we left them 39 years ago.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:24

If only there had been an internet back in 1981. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over TATTOO YOU? How dare they? Who do they think they are? Don't they know they have to ask us first?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 06:03 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: March 14, 2010 05:40

These posters are crazy. Jagger shouldn't have said a word. What would people have found to bitch about then. Any artist has every right to work on his stuff whenever he pleases.
Zappa used to do this all the time. Pick up a musical idea or theme, and develop it some more.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:45

New lyrics are Sweet Virginia changed to Sweet, Virgin, yeah!

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: March 14, 2010 10:39

I don't care
what ever they do with a song as long as the result sound fine.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 14, 2010 15:26

"I don't care what ever they do with a song as long as the result sound fine"

A- Morally speaking it's undefendable. I can understand George Lucas inserting digital images in the 1st Star Wars (a 1977 movie) cos the guy is 12 mentally and he likes to play with toys but the Stones... geez!

B- I bet your @ss it ain't even gonna sound good cos you cannot duplicate the zeitgeist of 71-72... and if you try to emulate it with 2010 technonlogy, it's even worse!
(MJ : "hey Don the vocal part you taped is far too clean. Let's apply some Protools digital filters to put some mud on it and give it some Exile flavor" ) eye rolling smiley

So MJ loses on both fronts on this one sad smiley

This project should have been of historic nature : diggin up stuff from the vaults and releasing them "as is".

INTEGRITY INTEGRITY!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 15:31 by dcba.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: March 14, 2010 15:56

I'm not a fan of all these overdubs too (well, i haven't heard them yet, ok). But these bonus tracks are meant as a bonus, so in this case you can leave them alone. Tattoo You was meant as a new album, so that is a complete other story (overdubwise).

Now I'm listening to the new release of Hendrix, Valleys Of Neptune. And without reading the linernotes, I immediately felt there was something wrong with a couple of songs. The drums on Mr Bad Luck sounded weird, and to my surprise, the linernotes told me that these were new drums, recorded in 1987!! While I got this nice tune already on a bootleg, with the fantastic and fresh 1967 drums of Mr Mitch Mitchell!! confused smiley

And now I'm a afraid that for example new vocals by a 40 years older Jagger will sound a little weird...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 16:00 by Sacke.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:27

Rockman

that pic says more than 1000 words. thumbs up

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:29

just another example of mick being intimidated by himself, utterly ridiculous

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:33

I can't wait bring on and give us lots of outtakes.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:41

Mick in Rolling Stone

"Pass the Wine," for example, was very, very long, so I edited it down.

Pass The Wine = Hillside Blues ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 16:42 by alimente.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 14, 2010 16:46

NorthShoreBlues2
yup i agree, i can't understand the thought process. I'm shocked that they are doing this . . .

i'm not shocked, just disappointed...

Date: March 14, 2010 16:48

bassplayer617
Seriously. This guy is already denigrating an album he has NOT yet heard.

it's only fair - to offset the praising others giving it without having heard....wasn't there a 4 of 5 stars rating already given by someone?

Date: March 14, 2010 16:54

Rocky Dijon
If only there had been an internet back in 1981. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over TATTOO YOU? How dare they? Who do they think they are? Don't they know they have to ask us first?

oh, please....there's a bit of a diff between polishing off songs a few years old and going back 4 decades to do the same....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:08

The writing of new lyrics must have been a challenge. Did the 66-year-old Mick say to himself "Okay, this'll be easy. I'll just pretend I'm 28 years old and .... hmmmmmmm ..... let's see .... what would I say if I was twenty-eight?"

Can't even imagine the thought process involved in trying to make himself SOUND like he was 28.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-14 17:11 by tatters.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:10

StonesTod, I might agree once I hear the results. "So Young" turned out just fine to my ears 15 years later. I'm less worried about it sounding like 1972 so much as I am liking the results. I'm quite prepared to consider the bonus disc a compilation of EXILE outtakes and new stuff even if the new stuff's rhythm tracks are 40 years old. The question will be if I think its any good. Nothing else really matters to me. Now if they were overdubbing on EXILE itself, then I would have a different reaction...

Date: March 14, 2010 17:19

Rocky Dijon
StonesTod, I might agree once I hear the results. "So Young" turned out just fine to my ears 15 years later. I'm less worried about it sounding like 1972 so much as I am liking the results. I'm quite prepared to consider the bonus disc a compilation of EXILE outtakes and new stuff even if the new stuff's rhythm tracks are 40 years old. The question will be if I think its any good. Nothing else really matters to me. Now if they were overdubbing on EXILE itself, then I would have a different reaction...

ok - but even 15 years v. 40 is a big diff, i think. jagger just can't sing like he did in his 20's....

i guess i'm just more interested in hearing what's in the vaults, not what ideas in the vaults they think are worth polishing off....i would say the same about dylan and others looking at the same....

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: March 14, 2010 17:22

dcba, when you edited your post five times criticizing Mick and Keith for editing, what was it you were changing?

"Morally speaking it's undefendable."

Ouch - I bet it would be devastating to the Glimmer Twins to find out someone's accusing them of being immoral ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home