Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

19th Nervous Breakdown From Double Door?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 10, 2008 07:29

Has anyone seen this? I've never seen it. It's pretty cool - messy as hell but I like it:

Re: 19th Nervous Breakdown From Double Door?
Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 10, 2008 07:37

pretty cool yeah. the whole concert is out on (bootleg) dvd.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:28

Wow. I had no idea. I remember reading about how they played it and it wasn't quite fast enough, it was bluesy. I gave up ever hearing it. This one is a little better. I think. I dunno:

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 10, 2008 09:30

I like oth performances there, but I don't think the Stones were particulary hapy with it. They completely changed the arrangment in '05 remember, though that did'nt last long either!

Re: 19th Nervous Breakdown
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2008 11:01

>> they played it and it wasn't quite fast enough, it was bluesy. <<

that was in 05, though. the Double Door was 97.
the 05 Phoenix Club rendition is out there somewhere - i've heard it.
and/or: was it an rs.com video clip? i don't remember

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 10, 2008 11:42

Both 19th an The Last Time they haven't been able to do justice live. Something about the groove that isn't right. The studio versions had a kind of almost shuffle swing that hasn't been there since.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:08

audun-eg
Both 19th an The Last Time they haven't been able to do justice live. Something about the groove that isn't right. The studio versions had a kind of almost shuffle swing that hasn't been there since.

I'll second to this opinion, even though I find the Double Door version fascinating; they played so messy, but still so charmingly - it raises nostalgic feelings in a positive way.

I think since the strong BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED material and the born of "the GReatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" in 1969 American tour, they somehow lost the touch to play their prior "Jumping Jack Flash" material. I think they sort of grow up from them their 'pop era' or 'Stones mania era'. Especially those hits from "It's All over Now" to "Let's Spend The Night Together" just don't seem to fit to the 'approach' of the band. Even with "Satisfaction" they had problems how to deliver it - listen the versions from 1969 to 1982 tours (and it was put to rest for a while, too). Then some songs were interpreted with a 'strong' hand - "Get Off of My cloud" from 1975/76, "Under My Thumb" from 1981/82...). Since 1989 they have digged more the material from those yaers, and with a big hand from Chuck Leavell, they try to give very original matching versions, and sometimes it even works out well (even though they sometimes sound like a Stones cover band).

I think the biggest problem with the 'angry' or 'angsty' songs like "The Last Time", "Get Off Of My Cloud", "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Paint It Black" is that they simply do not have the same energy and attitude that once made those songs classical. Especially Jagger seem to have problems with their delivery. And the secret of the Stones has always been the passion and emotional approach they have for their dealings. When that is not there, there is only the sketch or the form of the songs left.

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:22

Doxa - "I think the biggest problem with the 'angry' or 'angsty' songs like "The Last Time", "Get Off Of My Cloud", "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "Paint It Black" is that they simply do not have the same energy and attitude that once made those songs classical. Especially Jagger seem to have problems with their delivery. And the secret of the Stones has always been the passion and emotional approach they have for their dealings. When that is not there, there is only the sketch or the form of the songs left."
'
A good analysis and well put. I really long to see them do 'Have You Seen Your Mother Baby'. I don't think they've ever played it live again after 1966 which is a shame as it's such a powerful song. Imagine them opening with that one now. It would blow people's heads off.

Date: July 10, 2008 12:28

with sssoul
>> they played it and it wasn't quite fast enough, it was bluesy. <<

that was in 05, though. the Double Door was 97.
the 05 Phoenix Club rendition is out there somewhere - i've heard it.
and/or: was it an rs.com video clip? i don't remember

rs.com video clip. Its actually the onlyversion I have heard from the tour. How many times was it performed? 3, 4? Not many.

Date: July 10, 2008 12:33

I also agree with Doxa's excellent post. The Stones were always progressing as a band and imo, the pre - Jumpin' Jack Flash material must've seen somewhat dated come the 1970's. I think, looking back as they can now, that they feel they can now do some of those songs the justice they deserve. It's all nostalgia and I believe they are at the point (and have been since Steel Wheels) that they can really delve back to those early years and shake off the dust of some of those old classics. Imo, they should focus on them more, IF they can pull them off that is.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:58

>> rs.com video clip. ... How many times was it performed? 3, 4? Not many. <<

thanks for verifying where i heard/saw it. according to nzentgraf.de it looks like
they only played it twice: at the Phoenix (august 10th) and at MSG (september 13th).

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 12:59 by erikjjf.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 10, 2008 13:04

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 13:06 by Sohoe.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 10, 2008 17:14

the 9/13 garden show was fantastic - 19NB was one of the many highlights

OLDKR

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 10, 2008 20:34

have not seen or heard this live since ed sullivan! like them both, but i sure wish mick would have taken a few minutes to brush up on the lyrics. i think we deserve that. Ha!!! cheers y'all

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 10, 2008 20:57

The Double Door is a damn great gig. To me, "The Last Time" and "19th" absolutely COOKED on that night. Definitely hit a nice groove during "Last Time" that could only be felt when they're on a stage that 100 times smaller than what they usually play on. There's always somethign special when the Stones play a stage that small.

Man, do I wish they took out 19th more often than they did on the ABB tour. What a shame. Such a great new style that they hadn't even begun to explore. Perhaps it was just too different for them to fully adopt. Still, the snipts I heard from the Phoenix show sounded great.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 10, 2008 23:06

One of the best versions of "19th" from the Babylon tour I've heard(and seen) is the rehearsal tape from Chicago-the one at Soldier Field.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 11, 2008 01:49

Darryl doesn't reproduce Bill's "thunder bass" trademark during the break.

I appreciate that respect.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 11, 2008 02:12

take Jagger's voice away and it sounds like a Stones cover band. still not exactly bad, but both versions miss groove, swing, aggression - wheres mid-sixties live versions just slap right into your face - so much energy.

agree with Doxa that the boys somehow lost touch with songs like this.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 11, 2008 02:25

messy as hell but i liked it pretty much describes every stones show

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 11, 2008 04:51

I dont care if something is messy as long as it grabs me by the balls...and these versions are too lame to manage it.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 11, 2008 07:38

... any of ya learn anything watching that crap?????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home