Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: George Harrison's slide technique
Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 7, 2015 08:09

tomk
Sorry if I bump an old thread

Quite alright, maybe we can find out what's up w/the Let it Be DVD!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 09:12

Funny what his primary slide was — GEORGE HARRISON: "I've got two slides, and the main one I've used is actually a piece off the old Vox AC-30 amplifier stand. I asked the roadie we use to have in the Beatles, Mal Evans, if he could get me one, and he just got a hacksaw and sawed through a piece of the amp stand." (MUSICIAN MAGAZINE, 1987)

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 7, 2015 10:57

He was fantastic on free as a byrd.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: September 7, 2015 14:06

Is it George playing slide as an overdub at the end of "This Boy"?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 7, 2015 14:08

Miss George!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 7, 2015 14:23

I have more thought on George's guitar-playing as an completely own sound, The Beatle-George Sound....and it's very typical on just 'My Sweet Lord'...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 7, 2015 15:02

Standard tuning, a good amount of soft distortion and sometimes a harmony slide in the mix. That's George (and we like it!).

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:15

George played slide in Open E and standard tuning. HE played into a tube compressor no amp and into the board. This is the same sort of thing Lowell George did...GH is simply not a blues based player but rather a moldy based player with indian roots.

I've played slide for decades and George's moves are very unusual for someone like me who came up studying Elmore James Son Hose and Muddy Waters.

even MY Sweet Lord has moves that are completely uncommon to my techniques. It took some practice to phrase those lines properly despite how familiar they are.

I do not know What GH's signal path was when he played Japan with Clapton but he could still get his sound.
a lot of it is in his hands of course. ....touch

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 7, 2015 16:47

From4tilLate
Is it George playing slide as an overdub at the end of "This Boy"?

Yes.

Date: September 7, 2015 17:54

dadrob
George played slide in Open E and standard tuning. HE played into a tube compressor no amp and into the board. This is the same sort of thing Lowell George did...GH is simply not a blues based player but rather a moldy based player with indian roots.

I've played slide for decades and George's moves are very unusual for someone like me who came up studying Elmore James Son Hose and Muddy Waters.

even MY Sweet Lord has moves that are completely uncommon to my techniques. It took some practice to phrase those lines properly despite how familiar they are.

I do not know What GH's signal path was when he played Japan with Clapton but he could still get his sound.

Do you have examples of George, and I mean the unique style we're discussing here, where he played open E?

Date: September 7, 2015 17:58

I play MSL in open E.. it falls under the strings far more elegantly that way. Perhaps he did not.

I know later in life he mostly used standard tuning like Jeff Beck Mick taylor or Adrain Belew do. I do that a bit but I like open e and open G more...I am a blues guy.

I'd have to go back and listen with a guitar on to pick up which tunes SEEM more likely to have been played in Open E

Date: September 7, 2015 18:35

MSL sounds more like two harmonising slides in standard tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-07 18:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 7, 2015 21:26

there is no doubling or harmony on the first bit os slide play at about 34 seconds in...then as we come to the dimished lick we get doubling.. again I cannot be sure but I know how I why Open E has its advantages.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 7, 2015 21:35

I never knew that EC was doubling George on My Sweet Lord. I assumed that George had overdubbed

Date: September 7, 2015 21:45

Sounds like George x 2 smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 7, 2015 22:18

DandelionPowderman
dadrob

Do you have examples of George, and I mean the unique style we're discussing here, where he played open E?

A quote from the Wiki page about Maya Love:

"His handwritten lyrics for the song include mention of open E tuning,[2] Harrison's preferred alternative tuning[3] and one he used for his other slide guitar compositions during the first half of the 1970s, such as "Woman Don't You Cry for Me", "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" and "Hari's on Tour (Express)".

Here is a good vid of George playing slide. I've heard that he used an Am alt tuning on this tune...and according to a 2002 GP mag article that strat was the only guitar he kept in an alt tuning on that tour. Tuned low to hi E A E A C E.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 7, 2015 22:28

Indeed most of his solos and slide parts are in open tuning (E). Crackerebox Palace is a good example. There are some incredible slide parts in that. And a lot of those parts are harmonised, which shows what a great ear he had for that. His guitar playing on the Living/Material Word album is nothing short of superb.
Strange, in an interview, he said his best slide solo was on a Belinda Carlisle record.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 22:48

tomk
Roll73
71Tele
OK, Georgie started playing his trademark slide style around the time of Abbey Road (admittedly he then beat it to death for decades). Can any guitar players here tell me anything about how he developed this particular style (think "My Sweet Lord" and nearly everything after)? I am assuming he used open E for it? Grateful for any insight. Hare Krishna.

(sorry, feeling Beatle-y today).

If you listen to the 'work in progress' takes of Strawberry Fields on Anthology Vol 2, you can actually hear George's signature slide sound pretty much fully formed. This being at the beginning of 1967. He seemingly then kept it hidden for a few years.

My favourite slide playing of his has to be on How do you sleep? off the Imagine album. Restrained, melodic and really funky. He was one of the greats.

Sorry if I bump an old thread (but it's a good topic). The "slide" on the early takes on Strawberry Fields are not a slide guitar but a Mellotron. George Martin mentioned this on that Making of Sgt. Pepper" documentary, but he's in error.

TomK - I'm pretty sure that's a guitar, not a mellotron (although there is one as well of course). Certainly on the takes I'm thinking of. From 0:44....unmistakeable...

Date: September 7, 2015 23:04

It's a Mellotron with a "guitar" setting. Harrison used the pitch-bend to bend it downwards. That setting is also that "Morse Code" sound we hear in the first verse.

Date: September 8, 2015 01:52

dadrob

Right Lowell George did that on Sailin Shoes and for some overdubs on Waiting for columbus. He was very high in the mix.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 8, 2015 02:00

pepganzo
dadrob

Right Lowell George did that on Sailin Shoes and for some overdubs on Waiting for columbus. He was very high in the mix.

Nothin' wrong with Lowell being high in the mix! If there is anything I can't get enough of it's Lowell's great slide work. His tone and technique vibrate my heart strings like no other slide player. Those long sustained legato licks of his said more that a whole wagon full of flashy notes.

Date: September 8, 2015 02:20

tomk
It's a Mellotron with a "guitar" setting. Harrison used the pitch-bend to bend it downwards. That setting is also that "Morse Code" sound we hear in the first verse.

I have a feeling it's Paul who plays all the Mellotron parts on Strawberry Fields. There's actually a third Mellotron part in the song, too.

Date: September 8, 2015 02:29

There's a new book on HArrison that mentions how meticulous he was about his guitar parts, really honing it down to what he wanted, with the Beatles and post Beatles. His guitar playing never had a sense of improvisation or winging it. That's probably what drove Geoff Emerick loony and why he was kinda hard on Harrison's playing in his book. "Why can't you just wing a solo like Clapton?" when that was never Harrison's style.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:12

He plays some nice slide guitar on Lennon's 'Gimme Some Truth' and some other tracks from the Imagine album, He was competent but not great.

Date: September 8, 2015 04:47

nightskyman
He plays some nice slide guitar on Lennon's 'Gimme Some Truth' and some other tracks from the Imagine album, He was competent but not great.

Competent but not great? Uh...no.

Date: September 8, 2015 10:39

Naturalust
pepganzo
dadrob

Nothin' wrong with Lowell being high in the mix! If there is anything I can't get enough of it's Lowell's great slide work. His tone and technique vibrate my heart strings like no other slide player. Those long sustained legato licks of his said more that a whole wagon full of flashy notes.

thumbs up
You know he is my favourite guitarist.

Have a nice day!

Date: September 8, 2015 18:48

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:26

Well, since my thread was woken up...

Sadly, Let It Be has been started and stopped several times. Michael Lindsey-Hogg has given me several projected release dates, all of which have passed with nothing happening. I do know that the project was finished and was supposed to include a "making of" DVD to accompany the original film. Unfortunately it might never see the light of day. All I can say is that there is someone (or more than one person) in the Beatle/Apple camp who is not comfortable with it coming out because of the dissension in the group that was caught on camera. We can guess who that "someone" might be.

Date: September 8, 2015 20:34

Come on, Ringo! winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:54

DandelionPowderman
Come on, Ringo! winking smiley

Might be the other guy, DP.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home