Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Greatest Single The Rolling Stones Released
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:31

Although I understand the history and relevance of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and what it did for them, as well as Jumpin' Jack Flash, I would consider Brown Sugar to be their greatest single ever in terms of musically defining the Stones with the rhythm, raunch, roll, sleaze, melody and swagger that the track contains.

Not sure if specifically Brown Sugar being the kick off for their new label and quasi-freedom from ABKCO should influence it as well or even if chart placement does/should have an impact on such a thought but just the mere fact that a song (the songs they chose as well as what the labels chose) was released as a trailer/single is what I'm going by.

Re: Greatest Single The Rolling Stones Released
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:32

Come On/I Want to be Loved
grinning smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:33

Brown Sugar is defo a single you can hear time and time again and never bore of it.

I'd also say Paint it black.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:40

ablett
Brown Sugar is defo a single you can hear time and time again and never bore of it.

yep! that's it!

Date: March 11, 2010 17:42

Honky Tonk Women/You Can´t Always Get What You Want

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:45

For me, i was the most excited when they released IORR single....I was in high school and i just loved it..and still do..
My 1st new album was exile and i was the most excited to get that album...But Iorr was my fav single.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:46

What about Sad Day/You can't always get what you want ?

drinking smileydrinking smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: Rollover1970 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:53

It's All Over Now - Good Times, Bad Times - FOREVER!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 11, 2010 18:02

i've always said BS was it and i see no reason to alter my view despite the strong appeal of SOL....

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 11, 2010 18:28

IORR my favorite rock 'n roll song of all time ever!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 11, 2010 18:33

Hard to top JJF/Child Of The Moon...you can hear the transition from the psychedelic phase to the "classic" Stones sound right here in these two tracks. The studio version of JJF has charms that were necessarily left out of the stage version that evolved when the Stones resumed touring.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 11, 2010 18:58

I'd have to go with (for now) the original version of Honky Tonk Women. This recording practically redefined the Rolling Stones sound and show cased what was to become Keith's signature and unique rhythmic phrasing in a way no other recording before it had done. The song's release also marks the first use, correct me if I am wrong, of the now fabled open G tuning that was used on so many of the Stones hits that proceeded it. One could go as far to say that it marks the beginning of the Rolling Stones as they came to be known by so many. For these reasons alone the song has earned them, and especially Keith, a place in Rock and Roll heaven and thus is, in my view, definitive.

Date: March 11, 2010 19:05

ChrisM
I'd have to go with (for now) the original version of Honky Tonk Women. This recording practically redefined the Rolling Stones sound and show cased what was to become Keith's signature and unique rhythmic phrasing in a way no other recording before it had done. The song's release also marks the first use, correct me if I am wrong, of the now fabled open G tuning that was used on so many of the Stones hits that proceeded it. One could go as far to say that it marks the beginning of the Rolling Stones as they came to be known by so many. For these reasons alone the song has earned them, and especially Keith, a place in Rock and Roll heaven and thus is, in my view, definitive.

due to excessive explanation, we're rejecting this entry...if you care to submit a truncated version that's more in the spirit of from the "neck down" attitude that is what rock'n'roll embraces, we may reconsider....

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:06

Man..hard question. For me it's either The Last Time/Play With Fire or Street Fighting Man/No Expectations. Can't decide.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:07

tie between HTW and Brown Sugar, for me..

gotta put Happy up there too. I sure played it on a lot of jukeboxes, whenever and wherever I could thumbs up

Date: March 11, 2010 19:24

tonterapi
Man..hard question. For me it's either The Last Time/Play With Fire or Street Fighting Man/No Expectations. Can't decide.

final submittals are due by EOW

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:26

Street Fighting Man / No Expectations

It contains two of my favorite songs and the mono mix of Street Fighting Man is just awesome. I definitely prefer it over the duller album version! And that's despite the single mix's inferior sound quality...

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:39

jumpin jack flash coupled with its promotional video version(not the official studio release version) is the sound that defines the rolling stones from all the others.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:40

T&A
ChrisM

due to excessive explanation, we're rejecting this entry...if you care to submit a truncated version that's more in the spirit of from the "neck down" attitude that is what rock'n'roll embraces, we may reconsider....
Hmmmm, couldn't one just mentally truncate everything but Honky Tonk Women? As unintellectual as rock and roll can be, I thought the choice warranted some explanation rather than the usual "my favorite is" and just leave it at that. Still, one must appeal to the lowest common denominator...

Date: March 11, 2010 20:19

ChrisM
T&A
ChrisM

Hmmmm, couldn't one just mentally truncate everything but Honky Tonk Women? As unintellectual as rock and roll can be, I thought the choice warranted some explanation rather than the usual "my favorite is" and just leave it at that. Still, one must appeal to the lowest common denominator...

correct.

a simple "me like honkee tonk wimmen" works just fine in these circles....

Posted by: RKH1981 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 20:37

wee bobby lennox
jumpin jack flash coupled with its promotional video version(not the official studio release version) is the sound that defines the rolling stones from all the others.

agreed. jumpin' jack flash gets my vote for best single.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:08

JJF or 19th NB

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:10

i don't know why but i really love Miss You/Faraway Eyes......................and the She Was Hot/Think I'm Going Mad is a good one too

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:28

Aah, there are so many of them, as can be seen in this thread...

I think I will pick up the first one they released that I think one can call phenomenal and distinctive as The Stones were to be known: "The Last Time"/"Play With Fire". I just love the eternal sound of the single has; ALO's best moments in studio (if he was there...). The way the guitar riff of "The Last Time" sounds is perhaps the best recorded piece of guitar ever. It still, after decades, sounds magical. Then the echo-effected chaotic version of Spector's wall sound with its shakey, archaic atmosphere... One of the most inspired Mick's vocals in both sides. Pure expression: all the young natural vitality and angst there... raw and dangerous... Ugh!

- Doxa

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:59

There are to many good singles to make a choice

"It's All Over Now" / "Good Times, Bad Times"
"The Last Time" / "Play with Fire"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" / "The Under-Assistant West Coast Promotion Man"
"19th Nervous Breakdown" / "As Tears Go By"
"Paint It, Black" / "Long Long While"
"We Love You" / "Dandelion"
"Ruby Tuesday" / "Let's Spend the Night Together"
"She's a Rainbow" / "2000 Light Years from Home"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" / "Child of the Moon"
"Street Fighting Man" / "No Expectations" ·
"Honky Tonk Women" / "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Brown Sugar" / "Bitch"

"Angie" / "Silver Train"

Date: March 11, 2010 22:10

NICOS

that's no excuse. you go into a fine restaurant and there are many good choices, but you can't just tell the waiter, "sorry, there are too many good items to decide."

study them hard, start whittling the choices down to a manageable few...then take a deep breath, close your eyes and pick one. you'll feel better and you can relax and enjoy the rest of your evening....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:25

T&A
NICOS

that's no excuse. you go into a fine restaurant and there are many good choices, but you can't just tell the waiter, "sorry, there are too many good items to decide."

study them hard, start whittling the choices down to a manageable few...then take a deep breath, close your eyes and pick one. you'll feel better and you can relax and enjoy the rest of your evening....

That's why I always visit a self service restaurant........so I can pick all the nice things

OK here you go...............

"19th Nervous Breakdown" / "As Tears Go By"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:25

By looking this thread and the choices offered so far, we can agree with Mick Jagger that there is no strong single in EXILE ON MAIN STREET... (Don Was disagrees though).grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:27

JJF.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:35

Doxa
By looking this thread and the choices offered so far, we can agree with Mick Jagger that there is no strong single in EXILE ON MAIN STREET... (Don Was disagrees though).grinning smiley

- Doxa

Happy ...that one does make me happy
was it a strong single? it was wasn't it?

...no, it wasn't...#22 was it's highest US charting...
Tumbling Dice got to #7..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home