Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts rules!!!
Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: May 30, 2008 23:51

Well, I was posting my opinion about him in another post wich goes as it follows:

While there's been a lot of discussion about Keith, Ronnie or even Mick losing it in the last tours, I think one thing is for sure (at least for me): Charlie is not playing as good as usual... he's playing better everyday!!!

I think since Licks Tour, he plays with more swing and power than ever.

Some of my favourite moments of Charlie's drummming this last years, to name a few:

- Paint it Black (Live Licks/Four Licks London DVD)
- Start Me Up (Live Licks/New York HBO broadcast. SAL could do as well. Best versions ever only for Charlie!)
- Worried About You (Live Licks/Four Flicks Paris DVD)
- Stray Cat Blues (Four Flicks Paris DVD)
- Saitama 2006 (The whole show)
- A Bigger Bang album (Charlie shines on this one. Voodoo Lounge is a strong candidate too.)

What do you think?

Charlie "wang dang doodle" Watts!!!

Re: Charlie Watts rules!!!
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 31, 2008 00:23

Yes! A Charlie post! I agree completely, Charlie plays with great swing. There is no diminished ability. He makes the band sound great! And has for all these years. I hope he continues to want to do it.
I have all his solo stuff, except the live one from Ronnie Scott's...
what a subtle texture he adds with his jazz work, so unobtrusive.
I love his playing so much. One of my favorite Charlie tracks is 'Wild Horses',
when he starts in the song.
And my alltime favorite is a tie between the intro for 'Slave' and the intro for 'Live With Me', the original...for Charlie moments.
An honest, classy gentleman, great team player. The Stones' drummer.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 31, 2008 00:54

Good, yes, but better every day? Charlie's drumming on the Steel Wheels tour was incredible. He's a constant factor, and that's what makes him great.

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: May 31, 2008 01:02

I love Charlie. He is the bestest. True story.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 31, 2008 01:53

duke richardson
Yes! A Charlie post! I agree completely, Charlie plays with great swing. There is no diminished ability. He makes the band sound great! And has for all these years. I hope he continues to want to do it.

Well - if he for some reason should choose not to - I guess that would be the end of the Rolling Stones. God bless their scrawny behinds ;-)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 31, 2008 02:37

Well, Charlie and THEPLEXIGLASS, THEPLEXIGLASS and Charlie -- they are inseparable.

In about the last two years, Charlie moved up to my second favourite Stone, displacing Keith who had been in that spot since forever.

Praise be to Charlie!

p

Date: May 31, 2008 03:07

keep on swinging the band, Charlie! we hope you and your boys are well.
exactly, Mofur. bass players well they got lucky with Daryl, but there's no replacing Charlie and we all know it.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 31, 2008 04:38

... the only one who can't be replaced is jagger...........

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: May 31, 2008 08:29

King Snake
Good, yes, but better every day? Charlie's drumming on the Steel Wheels tour was incredible. He's a constant factor, and that's what makes him great.

That's funny, because when I decided to open this thread I was listening to some bootlegs from the Steel Wheels tour. And I sort of miss the swinging feeling we can hear now on the drums.

When I listen to them, I always have the feeling that Charlie wasn't playing as good as he's playing now. Start Me Up could be a good example if we compare his playing on 1990 and 2003, or 2006...

Don't get me wrong, Steel Wheels was an icredible tour if we talk about "musicality" (if we ignore Matt Clifford, a nice musician and better person, I'm sure, but...) and Charlie was amazing as usual.

It's just that I think that he loosened up a little bit more since Licks and his jazz playing is now more evident, which is good...

But, yeah, that's your opinion, so I respect it. Even though we think different, that proves the one thing I meant: Charlie is always at the top of his game.

I'm curious about one thing: everybody can talk about Keith or Ronnie hitting bad notes once in a while at gigs, but...

Does anyone actually remember Charlie on a bad night?

So, here's to Mr. Charles Robert Watts. Humble attitude but thunderous and groovy drumming!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-31 08:44 by milio77.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 31, 2008 08:33

We all love him....

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 31, 2008 09:51

Named my dog after him

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 31, 2008 10:54

My parents named their cat after him, although I am sure they had no idea about it.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: May 31, 2008 11:18

When he gets in YGTS, I feel thrills all over my body !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 31, 2008 13:06

soundcheck

Which is why his solo albums and tours were such huge successes? ;-)

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 31, 2008 15:38

Not a criticism but an observation - Charlie seems to be playing more sparingly the last few years...fewer actual hits of the drums per song...he sounds great which, if I'm correct in the observation, lends credence to "less is more."

Date: May 31, 2008 16:43

he beat (!) drugs, cancer, and dealt with Jagger...
the man will soon be 67. Cheers and many more to you, Mr. Watts.
We thank you.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 31, 2008 19:28

He is the Keeper of THE PLEXIGLASS

You'd probably have to look outside of Rock to find another drummer like him thats out there playing today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-31 19:28 by ryanpow.

Date: May 31, 2008 19:49

RightOnRyan - The Keeper, Indeed!! Praise THE PLEXIGLASS and CHARLIE!!! (will be getting you those disks soon, e mail me your address again. thanks).

Re who cannot be replaced, i think it is obvious that Keith cannot be replaced, and for many reasons, not just musical.

Comment: This thread is just a warm up for Charlie's Birthday Celebrations two days hence, and why not, he deserves every bit of it!!!

plexi

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2008 20:12

soundcheck

then how come his solo career is all but a bust

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 31, 2008 22:46

soundcheck

Bollox. At this stage of the game, they're all irreplaceable.

Date: June 1, 2008 00:46

Beast
soundcheck

Bollox. At this stage of the game, they're all irreplaceable.

I have never considered this or thought of it in that way before, what a straight, easy, but great insight.

This isnt like the 70s or even 80s, u cant just pull up a replacement, too late for all that, though I suppose they would if forced to -- say, if Ronnie or Charlie died or became incapacitated. Maybe not, but I think they would somehow go on. But it wouldn't be the same.

However, if it was Mick or Keith, I don't think that they would carry on at all, that would be the end of it, period.

Regardless, I agree, at this stage of the game, even though one or another might BE replaced, they are all really irreplaceable.

p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home