Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Wino" spotted in Milwaukee last night
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 2, 2010 14:23

Hey...I didn't realize X-pensive Wino drummer Steve Jordan was part of the John Mayer Trio.
[www.last.fm]

Can we conclude that with SJ on the road...the likelihood of Keith
doing a solo project (between Stones work) is slim to none?

IORR............but I like it!

Re: "Wino" spotted in Milwaukee last night
Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 14:58

Yeah, sadly. He played with many of the greats - Keith, Chuck Berry, etc., and now Mayer's garbage.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 2, 2010 15:09

I'm still hoping that Keith gets invited to do a lead vocal cameo on the next Was (Not Was) album.

Nostalgia sells better on Main St. and that makes new songs unlikely at this point, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 15:10 by billwebster.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 15:19

come on john mayer is ok.

Date: March 2, 2010 16:09

What the hell are you doing at a john mayer concert!

You are sad sad sad....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:11

Well Mayer IS popular, not with me, but it does provide a reliable paycheck for Jordan.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:51

Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk will be playing at the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, FL in April. They'll be performing Sly and The Family Stone!

Elmo and Lukester will be there too.

[waneefestival.com]

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 2, 2010 17:09

john mayer is a fantastic guitar player.

Date: March 2, 2010 17:48

Who's Driving Your Plane?
What the hell are you doing at a john mayer concert!

You are sad sad sad....

I'm a pro photographer...I was shooting it.

I accept your forthcoming apology. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 17:50 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2010 17:52

stoneswashed77

mayer for mayor - he's da bomb. one of the truly most gifted young 'un artists out there. in this trio config, he's quite amazing. the likes of pallidino and jordan only play with the best of the best....

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:03

i am quite shocked about the negativity regarding mayer. i always thought his fans must be people like the ones on iorr. if you donĀ“t like him, who is buying his cd`s?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:06

Mayer's fans are generally middle aged married women who have a lot of time on their hands alone at home, under 16 year old girls and from what I can tell very confused teenage boys that have no clue as to what good music is.

Then there was that cruise ship photo that Rolling Stone printed for some awful reason.

But Jordan, like anyone, needs to make a living.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:07

it goes hand-in-hand with old fart music fans who just assume any fresh face must suck. there is plenty of great "newer" music and artists out there - and mayer is among the best, imo. i don't think he did himself any favor with that unsavory interview in a recent rs rag...but, still...

Date: March 2, 2010 18:08

skipstone
Mayer's fans are generally middle aged married women who have a lot of time on their hands alone at home, under 16 year old girls and from what I can tell very confused teenage boys that have no clue as to what good music is.

bullshite...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:11

Pino Palladino is the bass player..I think...

Date: March 2, 2010 18:16

T&A
skipstone

bullshite...

Nope. Correct. At least where I live.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:19

skipstone
T&A
skipstone

bullshite...

Nope. Correct. At least where I live.

well, plenty of hip kids who do understand the diff between crap and music will cite mayer as one of the best in the biz...maybe it's time to move, skippy....

Date: March 2, 2010 18:47

skipstone
Hip kids? You mean the ones that grow sideburns half way down their face and don't bath and listen to Paramour? That ain't hip - that's just ugly, stanky and the liking of shitty music (Top 40)..

i'm talking about kids, like you and i once were, who have a strong appreciation of music, both new and old and could teach all of us alot about music. there are boatloads of cool kids who know alot more about music than either you or me...and most of them that i have talked to and learned from will tell you mayer is the real deal...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:51

John Mayer is barely one step ahead of Dave Matthews in the suckfest dept.....But he was doing Jennifer Aniston at one point,so he's got that going for him.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 2, 2010 18:53

Fair enough. I just don't and never have heard that. When I was a kid, I was into the Stones, Beatles, Doors, Hendrix, Who etc and then later on, late teenage years, AC/DC, The Cult, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Def Leppard's High'N'Dry, Zeppelin and...the Stones, Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Doors, etc...

I guess I'm more of a rockhead than...whatever it is Mayer is. Mostly it's what I've heard of Mayer - I don't like it. Which means to/for me, it's not good. That works for me. Mayer's music is just a bunch of Streets Of Love in my ears, if that helps.

Date: March 2, 2010 19:02

skipstone
Fair enough. I just don't and never have heard that. When I was a kid, I was into the Stones, Beatles, Doors, Hendrix, Who etc and then later on, late teenage years, AC/DC, The Cult, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Def Leppard's High'N'Dry, Zeppelin and...the Stones, Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Doors, etc...

I guess I'm more of a rockhead than...whatever it is Mayer is. Mostly it's what I've heard of Mayer - I don't like it. Which means to/for me, it's not good. That works for me. Mayer's music is just a bunch of Streets Of Love in my ears, if that helps.

well, the kids i'm talking about are into all the music you cite and then some. and, i've heard nothing in mayer's music that harkens to SOL...nothing even close to it.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:02

This may shed some light to this wonderful conversation...

John Mayer works under two separate monikers, Solo and with "The John Mayer Trio."

Open up your blinds and check it out.

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:06

I really don't care for John Mayer's pop songs but the man can really wail on the blues when he wants.

There's a lot more of these on YouTube. He's got talent as a guitarist and you really can't argue with that and much like the Stones ALWAYS gives credit where credit is due and pays homage to the old blues guys in interviews.

Nah. No interest. I would think that the Trio is considerably different than his solo work. Regardless, 21 and It's OK, it's of no concern.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()

sweetcharmedlife
John Mayer is barely one step ahead of Dave Matthews in the suckfest dept.....But he was doing Jennifer Aniston at one point,so he's got that going for him.

I'll second that. Aniston is the queen of the lonely hearts club. Who hasn't laid a heartache on her.

Date: March 2, 2010 19:15

if it's any consolation....RS's Honky Tonk Women was among the songs
on his pre-show intermission tape...or whatever...you know, the music they blast through
the arena while the roadies are prepping the instruments & stage etc..

his opening act was a guy named Michael Franti.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:18

Mayer's acoustic "your body is a wonderland" phase is not very good. but then he grew up and became a bluesy electric guitarist and a good one at that.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:35

T&A
stoneswashed77

mayer for mayor - he's da bomb. one of the truly most gifted young 'un artists out there. in this trio config, he's quite amazing. the likes of pallidino and jordan only play with the best of the best....

You are correct, sir! The John Mayer Trio is quite interesting. Nothing like his more mainstream stuff, to which I think those dissing him on here are relating.

He is a gifted young guitatist and when he locks in with Pino and Jordan the results are pretty tasty. To those who have only heard his hits I recommend giving this a listen before dismissing him as a total popster. Good stuff!

Ross

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:54

I see Mayer as very AOR, middle of the road, commercial mediocrity, whether it's just him or with the trio. As a guitarist I put him in the same category as Johnny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd, players with great talent but not much soul or substance. Mostly because of the crappy way most music today sounds, so it's not totally their fault, but they are still copies of copies of copies. By the time you get that far from the original deal, of course it's going to be watered down. Naturally they try and play like their heroes, everyone does. The problem is they have no filter, they mimic the good and they bad. While they copy the best of Clapton, Hendrix, and SRV, and maybe even older guys like Muddy, they also copy the bad, so along with the great playing you get crappy ballads and stupid stage mannerisms. Ugh.

I haven't seen Mayer in person, but I have seen enough video to get what he's about, and he is better that way than what you hear on the radio (but that's not saying much, I still think he's pretty generic sounding). He acts like such a douche onstage and off though that I just can't stand him.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: March 2, 2010 20:13

Michael Franti used to live upstairs from a guitar store in Berkeley called Subway Guitars, which is a place someone here referred me to take my son to last summer.

Subway is ran by a guy named FatDawg, (fatdawg.com) and he taught Michael Franti the business end of repairing guitars, and I believe he also was a teacher there.

He is supposed to be a good guitarist.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1438
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home