Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 26
Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 26, 2010 12:28

Well maybe Mick had a couple of lines of fine white - a bottle of JD and got himself back into 1972 "Mick" just for ol times sake to write some words. Either way when it comes downunder, Ill go to the shop and buy it. I just hope he didnt record the lyrics in his old jumpsuit.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: February 26, 2010 12:44

just read Jagger mentioning adding a bit of vocal and Keith adding a little guitar?Well I hope their not messing with 'em much.A little is ok but not beating them to death.

Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 12:56

DandelionPowderman
kissinc***incannes
Dancin' In the Light instrumental:

I like this already!

i think this needs more than just overdubs but also a lot of editing, time corrections, copy and paste jobs.

does anyone know if they recorded the overdubs to tape or did they transfer everything to digital and overdub and edit there??

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 13:17

Fantastic news, counting down the days to may it seems so far away.drinking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 13:19

Interesting! Seems a bit like Tattoo You. Taking some older songs and doing some current additions. It could be quite interesting. I am looking forward to it for sure. I too wish the 30 minute DVD was longer! COME ON! Finally release Ladies and Gentlemen and CS Blues!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 26, 2010 15:01

ajc68
[showbiz411.blogs.thr.com]

Well now: Ten minutes of “CB” are being included officially in a 30-minute documentary that the Stones will release in May. The other 20 minutes comprise 10 minutes of a film that was released but few saw called “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones” (out of print and unavailable since 1974) and 10 more minutes of a new full-length doc called “Stones in Exile,” made by director Stephen Kijack. That latter title will also be released as a full-length doc at the same time in a format still to be determined.

The DVD seems to contain what are essentially three 10 minute trailers. Maybe someone, somewhere is prepping L&G and CSB for an official release.

The Stones in Exile should be a good companion to 25x5. Is the broadcast version of this docu going to be an edited version of the full-length docu referred to above?

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 15:13

From [www.therockradio.com]

Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street reissue to feature 10 new tracks

Details are finally emerging on the deluxe reissue of the Rolling Stones' 1972 double album Exile On Main Street due out on May 18th. Rolling Stone reported that the package will feature "a deluxe CD edition with the 10 bonus tracks. The super deluxe package includes vinyl, the 30-minute documentary DVD and a 50-page collector's book with photos from the Exile era."

The documentary Stones In Exile "tracks the making of Exile" -- which may mean that actual footage of the band's legendary basement studio Nellcote, Keith Richards' chateau on the French Riviera, actually exists. After watching the new doc, Richards joked: "I must not have noticed all the cameramen while I was making the record. I was amazed at how much footage they actually found."

The film will also incorporate footage from 1974's concert film Ladies And Gentlemen. . . The Rolling Stones -- which features the Stones live in concert in 1972, along with portions of the band's still-unreleased @#$%&'s Blues tour documentary from that same year.

The reissue will feature four previously unheard of Stones tracks: "Plundered My Soul," "Dancing In The Light," "Following The River," and "Pass The Wine."

A Stones insider told The Daily Mail, "'Plunder My Soul' is a classic authentic blues riff with an unmistakable Keith lick and abstract lyrics from Mick (Jagger), while 'Following The River' is a classic ballad in the tradition of Wild Horses.'"

Jagger recently wrote and sang new lyrics for "Following The River." Longtime Stones producer Don Was supervised the entire project with Jagger and Richards.

The collection will also feature alternate versions of both "Soul Survivor" and "Loving Cup."

Jagger talked about the "missing" tracks, saying, "I went back in the archives and dug out a load of things. I added some percussion and some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two."

Richards said that he was hesitant to tamper with history: "I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were. I didn't want to interfere with the Bible, you know. They still had that great basement sound."

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: February 26, 2010 15:50

I don't think they need to add anything to Exile...

Like movies...will there be an Exile III?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2010 15:53

New issue of UNCUT features a 10-page piece on Exile, with interviews with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill, Mick T and Marshall Chess.

Its a good read, with Mick and Keith, shall we say, not exactly singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to their respective recollections of making the record.

Still no official track listing or review yet, though.

Date: February 26, 2010 16:00

Did Keith and Mick T play on this? Was Mick T only there for the doco?

Date: February 26, 2010 16:03

Hey TeddyB1018 was very close to the mark.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 16:28

Gazza
New issue of UNCUT features a 10-page piece on Exile, with interviews with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill, Mick T and Marshall Chess.

Here's the april 2010 issue :

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 26, 2010 16:34

Richards said that he was hesitant to tamper with history: "I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were. I didn't want to interfere with the Bible, you know. They still had that great basement sound."

They still HAD that great basement sound? So now they DON'T? He should have left them EXACTLY as they were, not "pretty much" as they were. But we'll see. I'll try and pretend there aren't any overdubs when I listen to it. All in all, exciting, or at least, interesting news.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 26, 2010 16:45

From another perspective it is a brilliant marketing strategy. The Stones have suddenly focused all attention on themselves in the rock world.

They have all major magazines shooting cover shots and filling their folds with multi-spread pages of interviews.

Releasing a re-issue from their most productive period and peak years of popularity have re-energized the fan base. If the material receives strong reviews and sales, a tour to support that album and "new" material could be a strong possibility.

Even stronger will be the demand to perform the re-issue of "Exile" in its entirety at various venues.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 26, 2010 17:18

tatters

They still HAD that great basement sound? So now they DON'T? He should have left them EXACTLY as they were, not "pretty much" as they were. But we'll see. I'll try and pretend there aren't any overdubs when I listen to it. All in all, exciting, or at least, interesting news.

Am I reading Keith's statement correctly? Is he saying they still had that great basement sound EVEN AFTER the overdubs were recorded? Or is he saying that great basement sound was there BEFORE the overdubs were recorded, and was somehow LOST during the overdubbing process?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-26 17:25 by tatters.

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 18:00

Just had an e mail about pre order of the Exile reissue, details pasted in below.

The new 2010 versions of 'Exile on Main Street' will be available in two CD formats: the original 18 track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary DVD with footage from C#*ksucker Blues, Ladies and Gentlemen. the Rolling Stones and Stones in Exile, and a 50-page collector's book with photos from the Exile era. The 10 unreleased tracks were produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was. Click on the following links for all the info. including tracklistings and to 'pre-order': 1) CD for £11.99 2) 2CD Deluxe for £14.99 3) 2 x Vinyl LP for £14.99 and 4) Super Deluxe Box Set for £99.99

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 26, 2010 18:02

super deluxe only? dammit...i was holding out for the super-duper special deluxe package....

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 26, 2010 18:57

tatters
tatters

Am I reading Keith's statement correctly? Is he saying they still had that great basement sound EVEN AFTER the overdubs were recorded? Or is he saying that great basement sound was there BEFORE the overdubs were recorded, and was somehow LOST during the overdubbing process?

My take is that he's saying that they still had that "basement" sound prior to touching them and that his objective was for them to still have it when they were finished.

You may be reading more into what he's saying than there is. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 26, 2010 19:00

I for one am really looking forward to this. Which of the rumored "unheard" songs have appeared on boots from that period? Are they really unheard by MOST of us here, or just cleaned up versions of what's in fairly wide distribution via boots.

Date: February 26, 2010 19:05

WMiller
tatters
tatters

My take is that he's saying that they still had that "basement" sound prior to touching them and that his objective was for them to still have it when they were finished.

You may be reading more into what he's saying than there is. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

yeah, but are we talkin' dimestore stogies or habana cohiba?

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 20:43

The press release states "As a complement to the release of Exile on Main Street, a documentary, “Stones in Exile,” has just been completed for fans to view on US Network television and through BBC Worldwide internationally"

Perhaps we are just seeing the beginning (along with the Uncut 10 page article) of a MAJOR media campaign for this release. Was using the term "US Network television" an error? I find it hard to believe that this documentary will be on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX. But then again they did air that "Being Mick" documentary a few years ago. If it is true and they are going full out with being available to the media (which we've already seen some of already) and promoting this thing then this whole thing could be huge. No doubt they can get on the cover of Rollign Stone and perhaps do some actual interviews on some of the late night shows amongst other things. Mick is such a great interview it's a shame he rarely does it on TV anymore. The media has always fallen over themselves in America to get the Stones on in the past. The question is only, are they (and hopefully at least Mick) willing to do it? It certainly looks possible.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 20:59

tomcat 6
Just had an e mail about pre order of the Exile reissue, details pasted in below.

The new 2010 versions of 'Exile on Main Street' will be available in two CD formats: the original 18 track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary DVD with footage from C#*ksucker Blues, Ladies and Gentlemen. the Rolling Stones and Stones in Exile, and a 50-page collector's book with photos from the Exile era. The 10 unreleased tracks were produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was. Click on the following links for all the info. including tracklistings and to 'pre-order': 1) CD for £11.99 2) 2CD Deluxe for £14.99 3) 2 x Vinyl LP for £14.99 and 4) Super Deluxe Box Set for £99.99

Could you share the track listing of the 10 bonus tracks?

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:00

Guitarist Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian Jones in the band shortly before Jones died in 1969, is a magnificent blues player who brought an intensity and elegance to these epic tracks.

What an odd and remarkable line for a press release on this. Wyman is not singled out this way.

Presumably, the Stones approved this. Even if they had nothing to do with it, why would the label single out Taylor and not Wyman?

In my view, it shows noteworthy affection by the band.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:03

Rochdale3
The press release states "As a complement to the release of Exile on Main Street, a documentary, “Stones in Exile,” has just been completed for fans to view on US Network television and through BBC Worldwide internationally"

NBC Universal are the same company, so I'm sure the documentary will air on one of its networks (most likely, cable networks).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:03

I would speculate that they uploaded the analog multi-track masters to Pro Tools. That way it retains the sound and quality of the analog and the tape won't be possibly damaged by repeated use. What will be interesting is to find out the nuts and bolts details of what they did - amps, guitars, the gear used to transfer the tapes, microphones, blah blah blah.

As far as if they were to stick with 'vintage' equipment they should have worked with Lenny Kravitz. So who knows. It might be swollen thumb obvious or it won't.

I think Don Was is OK, just like Chris Kimsey was OK. Some great stuff, some good stuff, some average stuff, some bad stuff and some horrible stuff.

That is difficult, even possibly impossible, to say about what they did with Jimmy Miller.

At least they didn't mess with the album.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:09

I would like to hear these 10 unreleased tracks as they were, but I'm certainly dreamin'.
Btw, if Don WAS spoil part or all the overdubbing, I think that he could find a place for an Exile >grinning smiley<
I wouldn't be Don WAS on June 2010...

HMN

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:27

many of the new titles seem to be coming from mick's latter-day "spiritual" vibe. "Dancing Into the Light," "Plunder My Soul," "Follow the River,"... very Bridges/Goddess-sounding.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 26, 2010 22:05

Latter-day "spiritual" vibe or EXILE-era "spiritual" vibe like "Shine a Light" or "I Just Want To See His Face?"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 26, 2010 22:31

Perhaps those titles were so bad that they had to be left off the album/not finished because of their hippy-esque-ness, which is borderline awful.

Date: February 26, 2010 22:33

skipstone
Perhaps those titles were so bad that they had to be left off the album/not finished because of their hippy-esque-ness, which is borderline awful.

never much of a longhair, eh, skippy?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home