Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your First Stone's Song?
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: February 21, 2010 07:33

I was about 16 or 17 yrs old. (32 now) riding in the car with my dad.

Don't remember where we were going or what we were doing, but I do remember we had the radio on.

And then this song came on, it had a pulsing 4 beat intro, and a great lead sound from the guitar I've never heard before.Then I heard some weird instrument in the background bringing it all together. From that moment I was hooked!

I will always remember that excitement I felt hearing this song!

I didn't even know it was The Rolling Stones, as I didn't even know any song's by them back then.

But I would like to compare this experience to an old saying.

"Sometimes things choose YOU, you don't choose them!"

And that afternoon, in the car, The Rolling Stones choose me and opened my world up to a amazing musical journey of rock, soul, R&B, country, blues, musicians and artists and a world I peered into that I probally would have never known had it not been for that one song.

After that one song I was hypnotized I had to have every Stones album, book, cd, bootleg, solo album, video, and it branched out to Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, and then even learning guitar myself, and so on and so on.....

The Song?

"UNDER MY THUMB"

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Your First Stone's Song?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 21, 2010 17:16

My first Stones song was Street Fighting Man. Sure, I had heard a few songs by the Stones but was not swayed one way or another. I heard that song in a head shop in Knoxville, Tennessee many years ago and thought how very different it sounded from the other drivel being played on the stereo system of the store. It sounded crude and primitive, and the rhythm was superb.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: February 21, 2010 18:46

I got into the stones the minute I heard the emotional rescue album, from that time on I ended up getting all of their albums. 1980. Then Some Girls, Hot rocks '64-71.. etc.....

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: February 21, 2010 20:18

Being a very young teenage in 1973 and watching the old grey whistle test.Then bob harris introducing a film of the stones performing dancing with mr d.I was blown away!.I went from fan to fanatic.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 21, 2010 22:18

When i was 7 years old in 1981 i took a shine to Start Me Up and got my Mother to buy the 45 for me. She got it totally wrong and asked the girl for STICK Me Up to which the girl almost fainted with fear of a hold up haha. That was the first time i took note of a Stones song and i absolutely adored the flip side No Use In Crying too {Maybe they could dust that one off next time around?}

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2010 22:46

She's So Cold

Heard it when it was a top 40 hit and its absolutely incomparable Telecaster tone grabbed me and hasn't let go.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 21, 2010 22:48

Miss You was the song that turned me into a full blown fanatic.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: February 21, 2010 23:15

I'm 47 and I vividly remember hearing Honky Tonk Women and being mesmerized . The cowbell and that clear guitar tone that seemed to jump out of the speakers . My dad couldn't stand The Stones but he seemed to like this song because of the chorus . Oh How I miss those Young ears without any damage or corruption ! Just a great song !

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: February 22, 2010 10:37

My first would be The Last Time which I heard for the first time circa 1975 when I was about 9 years old. The strength of the vocal and the sheer power of that driven beat got me hooked.

I was aware of the Stones before having been intrigued by Mick's pink satin suit on Top of The Pops in '71 but as a 5 year old I was more interested in my toys and games than music!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: February 22, 2010 12:40

I don't know what was my first song, but the song that made me crazy about them was Gimme Shelter!

Posted by: RITA ()
Date: February 22, 2010 13:03

MISS YOU in 1978. I was in Bournemouth and we went every evening to the disco, Tiffanycool smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 22, 2010 14:12

I heard Little Red Rooster from the Radio in the Autumn 1964. A couple of weeks later Tell Me was on the Swedish charts and out there was a new 10 years old Stones-fan hunting Stones-singles...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: February 22, 2010 14:36

1977 and Mother's little Helper, loved it from the very first moment, that was the beginning of mylove for the stones.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 22, 2010 20:22

I FOUND IT!!!

This is a "kids" show that was filmed in Hamilton Ontario in the early 70's - The Hilarious House of Frightenstein!

When I was 3 years old, it was THIS episode of THIS show where I heard my first Rolling Stones song EVER!!! My parents remember me singing "And it's Aaaaaaaalll riiiiiiiight nowww, 'fact it's a GAAAAAAS" all day long afterwards!!! Luckily my sister had her copy of Hot Rocks so I could hear "my best favourite song" over and over again!!!!

I made posts here in the past decribing the weird show (man the folks who made 70s kids shows in Canada in the 70's were on some SERIOUS drugs!) and I've finally FOUND it!

Anyways... here it is!!! (I know I'm beyond excited. I know I'm lame. Sue me!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:11

"Waiting on a Friend" really got a hold of me when it came out (I was 13 in 1982);
then I vividly remember hearing "Satisfaction" a little while after that on a portable cassetteplayer at one of my friends' house.

And my sweet lady loved "Gimme Shelter" when she was a teen ... by the Sisters of Mercy; it took her ages to find out -much to her surprise- that it was a Jagger/ Richards song... And that's what got her hooked. (Although her uncle played her "She's so cold" and most of "Black and Blue" on the family stereo way before that. And in 1986 her mama sent her out to the local record store to buy "Harlem Shuffle". Cool family-in-law, indeed!)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:18

like many others before and since, gomper hooked me and would not let me go. the rest is, as they say, history....

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:24

Amazingly it was 'Come On'. I was 12 and doing the spring cleaning - dusting my mum's cassette shelf. She had 'Rolled Gold - The Best of The Rolling Stones' issued by DECCA. It was on two cassettes and I picked vol.1 - so I started listening chronologically; first 'Come On' then 'I Wanna Be Your Man' etc.

Got instantly hooked, which was strange as all my friends at the time were listening to A-Ha. grinning smiley

Volume 2 ended with 'Gimmie Shelter' if I remember well. It was a while before I heard anything else by them - it was 1988 in Poland, you see... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:27

The first one that really stuck in my mind was THE LAST TIME. Must have been in 1977/1978.
I was 9/10 years old. When our mums were meeting for coffee and chat,
the boys and girls went to another room to have fun (not what you think, bastards>grinning smiley<).
One day my mate and me were early, so we had the idea to welcome everyone at the door with
a song, we thought was ELECTRIFYING. So we cranked up the first 30 seconds of
THE LAST TIME everytime a mother and her child came in.

Still thinking of that when hearing TLT.

The song that made me stonescrazy (finally) was Going To A GoGo...
but that´s another story.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:45

Around '67 I played all the singles from my brothers and sisters, 2000 light years from home, We love You, Heart Of Stone..play with fire to mention a few and then there was Beggars Banguet that's when I started as fan........ can't remember the first though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 01:34 by NICOS.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:52

i rememeber my oldest brother crankin' up Midnight Rambler on my older brothers record player.

I remember asking a friend about the harmonica part...wasn't even sure it was a harmonica!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 22:45

START ME UP!

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: February 23, 2010 01:27

I bought their first album, but some odd bootleg version, I was just 11 years old when I got it, and it was Route 66! Since that moment, my life changed, I became a stone.

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: February 23, 2010 01:35

My first Stones album in 1966 when I was 13 was the USA release of High Tide and Green Grass. A great album and my favorites are Get Off My Cloud and 19th Nervous Breakdown. Those songs would be great for a 'Track Talks' topic. IMO 'Cloud' has it all....great drums, guitar rif, lyrics and Jagger rips off a great vocal.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 23, 2010 01:53

Quote:

Those songs would be great for a 'Track Talks' topic.

You could start a Track Talk for "19th Nervous Breakdown" as this one will be posted in 2018 if you waited for the great Track Talk from Rene

Date: February 23, 2010 06:44

"Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow?"
And I remember it like it was yesterday.

Date: February 23, 2010 09:29

Worried About You

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 23, 2010 09:44

I'm such an idiot! THIS is the clip I mentioned in my earlier post!

ENJOY!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StrawberryFields ()
Date: February 23, 2010 23:38

My first, their first, their last, their everything:

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 24, 2010 00:37

when i got this single " what a shame / heart of stone " in 1963 (?)
"last time" was always a favourite as well..
picked up the riff right away .....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 24, 2010 15:45

Man, am I old .....
Early March 1964 at the age of 15 I was doing my school homework while listening to a pirate radio station on an old Loewie Opta radio (manually switching from on station to another), when suddenly NOT FADE AWAY blasted out of it. What a shock that was! No mentioning of the artists however.
It took me a couple of weeks to find out that a bunch of "odd looking" guys named The Rolling Stones were responsible for hooking me up ever since. Somehow I had missed Come On and IWBYM, but NFA to me was the best song at the time to get to know the Stones, anyway. smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home