Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A good thing about Dirty Work .....
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2010 03:48

........ lots of venom that's been missing ever since.

Love the title song - maybe THE lost classic (other then "Winter").

I know "Zero" sucks, but love the bad attitude all over this album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 03:50 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: A good thing about Dirty Work .....
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2010 04:17

Elmo Lewis

Love the title song - maybe THE lost classic (other then "Winter").

I know "Zero" sucks, but love the bad attitude all over this album.

no, the good thing is that there's no law requiring anyone to listen to this turd....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 5, 2010 09:21

This albums is so underrated because two ma or three main reasons:
1.- MJ's singing or barking; the worst vocal performances of his life
2.- Chuck Leavell keyboards killed the Stones sound
3.- Charlie's drums; it seems that they wanted to do some kind of AOR or heavy metal along with MJ's barking

DW's outtakes are the best music they have made during the last 25 years . Is cojonudo

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 5, 2010 10:51

Little or more tension is good to have between Mick and Keith - like challenging each other - but with the case of DIRTY WORK the tension had grown to the point that they didn't co-work almost at all, and the other wasn't even interested in fighting with the other (it takes two to have a real fight). DIRTY WORK is Keith/Ronnie colloboration with a couple of Jagger solo left-overs, and disinterested singer. In fact, DIRTY WORK is the only example what does it mean if Jagger is not whole-heartly present and leading the project. One can judge the results...

So I think the last time a fruitful tension was present is probably UNDERCOVER and even there the term 'fruithful' is a bit speculative... STEEL WHEELS was a teethless buddy-buddy compromise, as to an extent VOODOO as well (but being as retro as it is, of course, served the needs of the status quo better). BRIDGES did not have a real tension because Mick's and Keith's contributions are clearly separated. A BIGGER BANG is Jagger's autopilot retro album where Keith is just a side kick. It sounds like "hey Keith, I wrote about dozen Stones-pastishe songs, you add few licks an riffs here and there, and that's it, okay? Oh well, most of the riffs are already written, so just learn them...but only two takes!"

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 5, 2010 10:55

Doxa, great fictional account of ABB!

Date: February 5, 2010 10:57

There are many good things about DW. Firstly, the sound of the guitars. Secondly, the guitar playing. Thirdly, some of the songwriting/cover songs (One Hit, Fight, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work, Had It With You, Sleep Tonite). Finally, I like Mick's shouting (not when he sounds like being choked, though).

The last hard rocking stones album, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 11:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 5, 2010 10:59

ah, time for the semi-annual "i dig Dirty Work" thread already? cool :E
i always play it twice

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 5, 2010 11:23

DandelionPowderman
There are many good things about DW. Firstly, the sound of the guitars. Secondly, the guitar playing. Thirdly, some of the songwriting (One Hit, Fight, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work, Had It With You, Sleep Tonite). Finally, I like Mick's shouting (not when he sounds like being choked, though).

The last hard rocking stones album, imo.

I can see your point, and I remember thinking in similar terms at the time it was released. But for reason or other, the band just doesn't sound convincing... the guitars are great but that is not enough. It is like they forget "the roll" element and just concentrated on "rocking". Of course, they try to sound current - but this time the context of stadium rock and all that stuff just does not work for them. The worst or best example of this is "One Hit". It could be a potential Stones classic, but the superminds that are usually behind making the BIG difference are not present. The song does not have the that Stones "touch" of originality that is crucial for them in their glory past - for example, the way they sound in "Miss You" or "Faraway Eyes" or "Send It to Me" or "Shattered" they transform that kind of music easily to fit their their own vocabulary (or expand the latter naturally to include them). I think that unability to really adapt the sounds of the day is a symptom of The Stones really "losing it".

Keith very quickly learn from its mistakes - just compare his TALK IS CHEAP to the sounds of DIRTY WORK. There the music breaths again.

- Doxa

Date: February 5, 2010 11:33

<Keith very quickly learn from its mistakes - just compare his TALK IS CHEAP to the sounds of DIRTY WORK. There the music breaths again.>

Well said, and I agree.

Date: February 5, 2010 11:46

with sssoul
ah, time for the semi-annual "i dig Dirty Work" thread already? cool :E
i always play it twice

Slagged albums by our favourite band need uprising time and again winking smiley

Date: February 5, 2010 12:17

This album could have been much better if MJ had had any interest in singing with feeling. Maybe the very same songs could have reach another status. The same for the choirs and for Chuck's keyboards.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 5, 2010 12:17

Just an observation: I find it strange that in 'Dirty Work' threads the name Steve Lilleywhite very seldom features...

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: February 5, 2010 12:30

I think this man did very little work

Date: February 5, 2010 12:31

ROLLINGSTONE
Just an observation: I find it strange that in 'Dirty Work' threads the name Steve Lilleywhite very seldom features...

...who is also a major culprit for the drum sound alone.
I don't like DW much either but if I think of the actual songs it is not THAT bad. "One Hit", Harlen Shuffle", "Too Rude", "Winning Ugly", "Dirty Work" and "Had It With You" are actually pretty good. Then "Fight" and...okay "Sleep" are acceptable. But "Zero" and "Hold Back" are SO bad that they inflict such major damage on the reputation as whole.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2010 12:37

........find some loser...find some jerk .......find some greaseball .............Yeahh.....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 5, 2010 12:51

Palace Revolution 2000
ROLLINGSTONE

...who is also a major culprit for the drum sound alone.
I don't like DW much either but if I think of the actual songs it is not THAT bad. "One Hit", Harlen Shuffle", "Too Rude", "Winning Ugly", "Dirty Work" and "Had It With You" are actually pretty good. Then "Fight" and...okay "Sleep" are acceptable. But "Zero" and "Hold Back" are SO bad that they inflict such major damage on the reputation as whole.

Lilleywhite was ok in general but not for The Stones. Very much an 80's knob-twiddler. I'd agree with your preference selection Palace with the exception of Had It With You. Musically it's fine but I keep coming back to this atrocious lyric:

I love you, dirty f*cker
Sister and a brother
Moaning in the moonlight
Singing for your supper
eye rolling smiley

Date: February 5, 2010 13:27

Rockman
........find some loser...find some jerk .......find some greaseball .............Yeahh.....

That's the kind of venom I'm talking about.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2010 13:49

Rockman

Looked everywhere, can't find...oh wait. It's Me! My Wife was right!
winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2010 14:11

What about the pit of chaos racket that slides in under the
guitar break around 2.10 then drowns out again real quick ....Dirty Work indeed

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2010 14:26

Doxa hits the nail on the head yet again. Your summary of the lastt few albums is pretty accurate, although saying that, I still like them all nonetheless (even DW has it's moments)

Date: February 5, 2010 14:32

With the power chord start to 'One Hit' and providing it could be reproduced live, I always felt it would be a great show opener (not that it would ever happen).

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:00

The Stones have made worse albums since Dirty Work, if you use the gold to crap ratio.

Dirty Work's highlights - for me - are: Winning Ugly, Harlem Shuffle, Sleep Tonight, Too Rude and One Hit. Which means I like half the album. The outtakes were miles better.

It is a very pedestrian album though. Not surprising sat all, seeing as Jagger couldn't be bothered with it. He was too busy promoting She's The Boss, which made Dirty Work look like Let It Bleed.

Date: February 5, 2010 15:35

Yeah, I always liked "Winning Ugly" .

It sometimes gets lumped with "Zero" on here. Lots of difference - mainly the Motown beat of WU and many times better lyrics. Again, a little venom.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:36

Elmo Lewis

RIGHT ON. If they released DW today we'd all be slobbering over how real it sounds.

I personally really like the booming drums also.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:37

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, I always liked "Winning Ugly" .

It sometimes gets lumped with "Zero" on here. Lots of difference - mainly the Motown beat of WU and many times better lyrics. Again, a little venom.

There's also the small but significant fact that WU is a way better song. grinning smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:57

Zero---is without question a ZERO..ha....I loved what was said about Jagger's singing----"Barking". That is spot on.
Jaggers singing makes this the worst ever Stones album.. There is many things very cool about it and i still like it better then most of the music from that year..Only if Jagger put more time into it AND SANG...NO BARKING.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:04

They were clearly trying to compete with the modern 80's sounds at the time; even the almost neon bright colors on the cover of the album had that 'duran duran' look, while most of the music had that bombastic echoing drums, synths intermittently, and as Doxa commented...lots of rocking guitar with no roll. There just wasn't much rhythm to 80's music in my opinion, just hard shots of loud guitar on a repeatable basis.

I did like "Had it with you" and "Too Rude" though. Those had rhythm. :-)

Date: February 5, 2010 16:25

Yes, Keith does a nice job on both "Rude" and "Sleep".

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:38

Had It With You...what a strange song...the lyrics, the way its played...
and "Too Rude" those are to me the best, agreeing with kovach...

and Keith in interviews at the time insisted that they were ready to tour this album. I guess he was.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:56

Rockman

yeats would be proud, eh?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home