Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Video of MT from Jan 2010
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2010 01:02

gripweed

Mick Taylor, Secret Affair. Skegness Rock and Blues 2010

Thanks Gripweed. Ed. I mixed you up with Lightnin' who also knows a lot about Taylor. But now it's clear. Stupid mistake of mine.

Well, my regards to our friend Taylor. Put the quotes of Behroez and Amsterdamned together and you get: The Stones need MT and MT needs the Stones. A veracity as a cow, as we say it here in Holland.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 6, 2010 01:09

Do you play the guitar?tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 6, 2010 01:10

Nostalgia seems to be the trend of today.

Date: February 6, 2010 01:16

Svartmer
Nostalgia seems to be the trend of today.

As there is no future in this case?? cool smiley

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 6, 2010 02:15

Here he is well into the show and his chops are there... I don't know who needs who but I sure would love to hear Taylor play one more gig with The Stones...

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 6, 2010 02:46

Nice Compilation Loudei

"The Vibrato Still Sings"

Thanks !

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 6, 2010 07:15

gripweed
Smokey
Great stuff! Many thanks for posting this Ed. Have you checked whether there is any more available from this show?

Steve, I asked the guy who emailed me the link if he recorded the whole show, he
hasn't responded yet...

I've found out that all he has is some stills.

Is Taylor planning a new album for release at the time of the Exile release?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 10, 2010 08:22

Loudei

Here he is well into the show and his chops are there... I don't know who needs who but I sure would love to hear Taylor play one more gig with The Stones...

Cool to see him rocking and that he's got some humor as well (ie. the end of this video).

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: February 10, 2010 13:27

The Skegness video shows Taylor playing the first song of the set on Sat Jan 30. This is the first gig he did after the end of the German/French tour 2009 which finished at the end of October.
I've mentioned this before on this board but MT doesn't do any practising at home between tours. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's reality.
Anyway, his own comment was that his playing on the first two songs in Skegness was "appalling". He mentioned that it was freezing cold on stage, so I bet that affected his fingers too. He knows what he's doing and he knows when he's on top of his game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-10 13:27 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 11, 2010 15:30

Loudei
Obviously one of the first tunes of his set if not the first. You have to judge a player's playing after the first 4 tunes. This guy is still playing to incredible levels... this songs is not that good anyway. You can see Taylor struggling to find the tone and not very much into it.

When I saw him play last year in London, I noticed that his playing improved during the set. He seemed a little nervous with shaky hands at the start, but after a few tunes he was warmed up and played very well.

Can't watch the clip right now but looking forawrd to it...cheers

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 15:57

gripweed

Mick Taylor, Secret Affair. Skegness Rock and Blues 2010

the intro alone is worth posting this , thanks!!
a few bum notes? yes but that shows you he would be back at his greatest with some rehearsals/practising , is still near the top of his game

also, did he ever get to record "going down to mexico"?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 11, 2010 17:31

sleep inducing

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 11, 2010 17:36

Ket
sleep inducing
much like your post thumbs down

Date: February 19, 2010 09:08

gripweed
Smokey
Great stuff! Many thanks for posting this Ed. Have you checked whether there is any more available from this show?

Steve, I asked the guy who emailed me the link if he recorded the whole show, he
hasn't responded yet...

Date: February 21, 2010 05:38

And the final addition from the same cameraman:

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 21, 2010 06:06

wow and people have the nerve to ask if ronnie has lost it?because i can tell ya right now that ronnie could probably play better than that with one hand

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-21 06:14 by melillo.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 21, 2010 06:32

melillo
wow and people have the nerve to ask if ronnie has lost it?because i can tell ya right now that ronnie could probably play better than that with one hand
Well now that the Kat has left. Ronnie is doing a lot of things withe one hand. But Taylor can use his hands very well on his guitar. Thank you very much. Ronnie can't come close to that these days.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 21, 2010 09:42

I really like this particular rendition of No Expectations - quite lively.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2010 10:22

At least he can sing and play at the same time.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2010 13:07

I am really sorry to note, but Taylor really comes across on that January 2010 vid as a guitarist who hasn't played in a long, long time. Every guitar player knows this feeling when you pick up a guitar after a couple of months not playing. You know how to play it, but the execution is just completely lagging behind. It then takes some days to gain speed and accuracy and precision.

Unfortunately Taylor comes across like this for the lost couple of years, and the fact that his set only comprises of the same lame songs over and over again since 1981 doesn't help either.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-21 14:37 by Mathijs.

Date: February 21, 2010 13:49

Mathijs
I am really sorry to note, but Taylor really comes accross on that January 2010 vid as a guitarist who hasn't played in a long, long time. Every guitar player knows this feeling when you pick up a guitar after a couple of months not playing. You know how to play it, but the execution is just comepletely lagging behind. It then takes some days to gain speed and accuracy and precision.

-Agree to some extent, and hopefully he will have the same progression on his new american tour as the Stones usually have (ie. the '72 tour which sounded pretty unrehearsed at the first shows, but really took off during the second half leg).

Mathijs
Unfortunately Taylor comes accros like this for the lost couple of years, and the fact that his set only comprises of the same lame songs over and over again since 1981 doesn't help either.
Mathijs

-I wouldn't say lame, but in good Stones tradition.
Anyway, every now and then Taylor seems to flash some of those wonderful classic licks that only he can do, and thats good enough for me nowadays.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2010 14:10

Mathijs
I am really sorry to note, but Taylor really comes accross on that January 2010 vid as a guitarist who hasn't played in a long, long time. Every guitar player knows this feeling when you pick up a guitar after a couple of months not playing. You know how to play it, but the execution is just comepletely lagging behind. It then takes some days to gain speed and accuracy and precision.

Unfortunately Taylor comes accros like this for the lost couple of years, and the fact that his set only comprises of the same lame songs over and over again since 1981 doesn't help either.

Mathijs

That could be due the reason said in some of these threads (by Lightnin' I think?) that Taylor doesn't play at all at home (off the road that is). He just picks up the guitar when there is teh next gig available. Seemingly for people like Taylor and Keith and I guess Ronnie as well who have spend all their adult life and most of teen days as well with the guitar in their hands might not be so excited anymore in "practising". In one sense of the word they already know anything they need to know, and just getting better in no a real option any longer, and just to play for solely trying to be in shape it is just boring... It has its negative effects but I guess it is somehow understable. The true motivation and spark comes from performing or some other "real" action. I think tehre is the difference in perspective towards playing between these first-generation guitar gods and all the rest of "us" who may spend 24/7 in practising.... I have wittnessed very "rusty" Taylor myself in a concert. But there istill is the true excellence there to be lurking, júst behind the surface... I think one of the intersting traits in Taylor's playing is the way he challanges himself - kicking the Great Guitarist with Signature Sound out of himself. And how they say, the difference between the professionals and the amateurs is that the amateurs need to rehearse...grinning smiley

But over-all I share the feeling that Taylor is artistically semi-retired has-been player who is way too lazy to really challenge himself but is satisfied with small-scale career options, including the same boring set list every goddamn night. But it still doesn't change the fact that every night - no matter bad how it is - he comes guitarwise with something Keith and Ronnie probably couldn't even dream about.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-21 14:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 21, 2010 14:18

But practising is the key to a new setlist (the same goes for the two from Dartford).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2010 14:34

JJHMick
But practising is the key to a new setlist (the same goes for the two from Dartford).

Yeas, but try to "teach" that to sixty-somethings...

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2010 14:40

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

That could be due the reason said in some of these threads (by Lightnin' I think?) that Taylor doesn't play at all at home (off the road that is). He just picks up the guitar when there is teh next gig available. Seemingly for people like Taylor and Keith and I guess Ronnie as well who have spend all their adult life and most of teen days as well with the guitar in their hands might not be so excited anymore in "practising". In one sense of the word they already know anything they need to know, and just getting better in no a real option any longer, and just to play for solely trying to be in shape it is just boring... It has its negative effects but I guess it is somehow understable. The true motivation and spark comes from performing or some other "real" action. I think tehre is the difference in perspective towards playing between these first-generation guitar gods and all the rest of "us" who may spend 24/7 in practising.... I have wittnessed very "rusty" Taylor myself in a concert. But there istill is the true excellence there to be lurking, júst behind the surface... I think one of the intersting traits in Taylor's playing is the way he challanges himself - kicking the Great Guitarist with Signature Sound out of himself. And how they say, the difference between the professionals and the amateurs is that the amateurs need to rehearse...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Then he should stop performing. I mean, he is asking people money to see him perform, and you should take that seriously. No matter whether you play for 10 or 10000 people, when you ask money you should prepare and give your best.

Mathijs

Date: February 21, 2010 15:33

Mathijs

Then he should stop performing. I mean, he is asking people money to see him perform, and you should take that seriously. No matter whether you play for 10 or 10000 people, when you ask money you should prepare and give your best.

Mathijs

What makes you think he doesn't take it seriously?
-And when it comes to the part about the money, preparing, and giving his best, I don't see anything wrong in serving the market he has, the way he does.

Date: February 21, 2010 16:18

Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

What about Keith and Ron?
They should have stopped performing 20 years ago.
They never practice to my ears.

- Doxa

Mathijs

Date: February 21, 2010 16:23

S.T.P

What makes you think he doesn't take it seriously?
-And when it comes to the part about the money, preparing, and giving his best, I don't see anything wrong in serving the market he has, the way he does.

Well, listen to his playing and anyone can hear he's not taking it serious. He's not playing to deliver, he's practising on stage. And yes, he is serving his market, which unfortunately is made up of about 50 Stones fans gathered in a barn.

Mathijs

Date: February 21, 2010 16:25

Amsterdamned
What about Keith and Ron?
They should have stopped performing 20 years ago.
They never practice to my ears.

Well, my personal opinion is that the Stones should have called it quits when Wyman left.

Mathijs

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 21, 2010 16:34

sweetcharmedlife
melillo
Well now that the Kat has left. Ronnie is doing a lot of things withe one hand.

yeah i guess thats true because there are always loads of women crowding around taylor whenever we see a picture of him !!!!!! my mistake

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home