Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I couldn't live in a world without Keith Richards.
Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:19

Yesterday, I was watching the special addition DVD of my favorite movie of all time, Hail! Hail! Rock n Roll, and I honestly wanted to thank god for allowing the existance of Keef.
See, a few days before that, I was getting attacked for naming him as my guitar and musical hero. My friends were saying things like "My 14 year old brother would eat Keith Richards on guitar", "Buckethead is so much better and faster than him" , "He doesn't solo as good as Jimi Hendrix/Eric Clapton".

Naturally I felt a little down about it, as I always have to defend my favorite band when I'm around people my own age (19 by the way), but after watching Hail Hail for the 1 millionth time, I decided I would just laugh in their faces.

That movie, even though it's about the true King of Rock, is one of the best profiles of Keith. Seeing him being interviewed, it looks like he's about to flatline right there in the chair- but on stage he is a totally different beast. He was just on fire. And in rehersals it's just so inspiring to see a guitar in his hand. People are always quick to label him as just "great rythym, the Riff Master" and those things are the obvious, but I think my favorite thing about Keef is his depth. For someone with so much raw, powerful flavor, he can also be very technically precise (I will never get bored watching his leads at the Fox Theatre concert, so amazing) and so mind boggling subtle (when he was accompaning Chuck Berry on that ballad). Coming from the life changing moment when I heard the first chords of Jumping Jack Flash, seeing Keith's versatility and profound understanding of the guitar in Hail Hail Rock n Roll only just reaffirms my amazement at his interpretation of the art.

People knock on his lack of "technical skill" (which watching this movie proves that false), but in reality, if I hole myself in my room all day practicing a bunch of scales and power cords non stop, I could be just as fast as Joe Satriani or any of those "nu metal" tools. But even if I attempt that, I soon find myself trying to come up with as many potential songs and riffs with just 2 bar cords as possible. On the other hand, I really have no idea as to how I go about doing what Keith does at that Chuck Berry concert. He does something all those virtuosous don't even attempt. But I really have to thank him for demonstrating a huge love for rock and roll and music in general, because theres nothing I wanna do more on the guitar than just play it however I feel like, to pound on the Brown Sugar chords all day with my 5 string Telecaster (Christmas present) or play Jumping Jack Flash and Bitch on my iPod until my ears bleed.. If Keef never existed, I may in fact just be another one of the mindless sheep just using the guitar to prove how much better I am than everyone else. I really would rather be dead.

Sorry for a long post, but I think as many fans as Keith has, a lot of them miss what really makes him (what we think) as the greatest.

Re: I couldn't live in a world without Keith Richards.
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:41

Are you planning on ending you own life after Keith passes from the scene?

Plexi

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:46

Why don't you tell us how you really feel??

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:48

timbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you planning on ending you own life after
> Keith passes from the scene?
>
>
> Plexi

Well, it is very inspired sentiment.
But I'd have to say it's a good thing that he wasn't as passionate about Brian Jones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2007 06:03

I don't live in a world without Keith.......

ROCKMAN

Date: November 18, 2007 06:18

Not yet.

Date: November 18, 2007 08:43

Rockman Wrote:
> I don't live in a world without Keith.......

OK Rock, you too then, I guess, plan on checking out when Keith does.

Plexi

Date: November 18, 2007 08:49

Rockman Wrote:
> I don't live in a world without Keith.......

Wait a minute!

Rockman... you're not saying that
"YOU ARE KEITH RICHARDS" Are you??? I hope not.

Rockman, poor guy... get some help before it's too late.
I mean, you do look a little bit like him... but seriously.
; )

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:50

You might then qualify as a true Stones fan. One would hope you would get automatic pre-paid fan club renewal for the next life. People would go back and reread your IORR comments and finally see the light.

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: November 18, 2007 11:13

i couldn't live in a world without Rockman.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 18, 2007 11:18

where is Rock........!!!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 18, 2007 11:27

I couldn't live in a world without the Plexiglass.....

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: November 18, 2007 11:36

La Mano Nera Wrote:

> If Keef never existed, I may in fact
> just be another one of the mindless sheep just
> using the guitar to prove how much better I am
> than everyone else. I really would rather be
> dead.

Beautiful thoughts!

Re: Keith Richards.
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 18, 2007 12:26

------`-------<@
---------,-----<@
-------,------<@

roses for La Mano Nera, whether you ain't got none or not

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: November 18, 2007 18:46

La Mano Nera, thank you for putting into words what is so special and great about our Keith. I hate to think of a world without Keith Richards too, but hopefully that's a long time away. He's a great example of freedom and humanness (is that a word??), you know what I mean. I know there are better guitar players, but so what - you don't have to be the greatest to be the greatest, if you know what I mean. 19? I'm impressed with the younger generation - That's what's so great about Keith, it doesn't matter how "old" you are, it's what you are that counts. His love and dedication to rock'n roll is obvious, and what other people may or may not think is irrelevant. Oh, Keith,don't you ever ever die.

Date: November 18, 2007 19:52

The Stones Wrote:
> I couldn't live in a world without the
> Plexiglass.....

Nor could I (assuming you meant the true plastic, Divine PLEXIGLASS OF CHARLES WATTS, not any imposter).

I could live in a world without me.

timplexsplitpersonality

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 18, 2007 21:33

what a load of horse shit

OLDKR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 21:33 by oldkr.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 18, 2007 22:22

the stones on tour are the yin to my yang these days. i work hard then i play on tour. they help me release so i can go back to working hard again later. all my memorable peak experiences have been at stones shows.

Date: November 18, 2007 22:23

Well one day you will have to so get a grip. Sorry for pointing out the reality of the situation.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 18, 2007 23:40

I could without a doubt live without keith richards , as much as i like the stones you have to draw the line somewhere man cmon now

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 18, 2007 23:44

the thread title may be a bit melodromatic but La Mano Nera's post a 10 out of 10!

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: November 19, 2007 00:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 16:41 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: November 21, 2007 02:04

LOL, I didn't mean it literally, I meant to point out that the music world in general would be a very dead place without Keith's touch. And to me at least, to waste my time trying to be "the best", or always trying to re-adjust myself to fit the tide just for the sake of some kind of (temporary) security in the industry is the worse thing that can happen- and I think Keith is the very epitome of going against that type of thing. But, you know, that's just how I feel about music and guitar playing. I'm sure painters and accountants who love what they do would rather be dead than..do something that..horribly represents their passion..? I think that made sense..

Anyway, I have nothing to worry about cause Keith is immortal. His body might go 6 feet under (or get snorted by Bob Dylan or something), the fad of fast scales and power cords will fade away, bands will form and break up but what inspired those people to pick up and play, his soul and music, is forever. People will remember their hero before his time is up.

Date: November 21, 2007 12:02

>> very nice picture. Where is it from? <<

backstage at the Faces' Kilburn gig that Keith guested at in december 1974.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:12

Yeah spot on

With Keith it is less is more.

All these other guitarists playing as fast as they can, they will get away with mistakes as they are trying to cram in as may notes as possible- a mistake will not be noticeable

With Keith, his riffs/solos are spot on and done with real feel and timing!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 21, 2007 15:10

its good to be here , its good to be anywhere .goldrings to all of you!.alright cut the crap!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 21, 2007 15:41

Interesting to think about what life might be like if there wasn't Keith Richards... or if the "doodlebugs" had got him ;^).

How would my guitar playing differ ? [would I play guitar at all ? ]
Who would I have worshipped for 30 odd years ?
Would I have got a proper job ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-21 19:04 by Spud.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 21, 2007 16:20

The world is a better place for Keith Richards' music, but the same is true for hundreds of others. While I hope Keith is around for a good many more years and I hope he continues to make music, at 36 I honestly hope I get to live in a world without Keith Richards. No disrespect to the man intended, but if I go when a 63 year old goes, I'll feel robbed.

Re: Keith Richards
Date: November 21, 2007 16:30

well but Rocky Dijon honey: this world isn't without Keith Richards, and won't be ever anymore.
the man's splattered his glorious music all over the universe, for good. thanks & praises

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 21, 2007 19:03

Quite so ;^)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home