Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Street Fighting Man studio, releasing variations
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 31, 2010 13:43

Where was that UK covercover shot?

Less-ignited French cover

Also, according to Wikipedia,inresting different choice for the B side,
"No Expectations" (US)
"Surprise, Surprise" (UK)

Also, EP and LP featured different lenght
single: 3:09
album: 3:14

Also, the UK label, was London, while other countries featured the UK-brand Decca

It goes way back it would be nice to have some comments on that peculiar variations

Re: Street Fighting Man studio, releasing variations
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2010 13:50

If I remember right, "Street Fighting Man" was realesaed in UK at the time DECCA had 'lost' the Stones. So it was part of milking out thei ex-artist's legacy, like STONE AGE, GIMME SHELTER albums, etc. It is only the US release that has a real historical value as a single, a soundtrack of 1968 happenings...

- Doxa

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 31, 2010 17:29

The photo on the US single sleeve was taken at the riots in Chicago during the 1968 Democratic Convention.

"London" was the band's label in the USA and Canada, while "Decca" was the label elsewhere in the world.

Initial pressings of the 45 featured a noticeably different vocal mix than the LP version-this can still be found on certain of ABKCO's "singles" compilation box sets.

A 1971 'maxi-single" was released by Decca in the UK which featured Street Fighting Man, Surprise Surprise, and the STEREO mix of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (the version found on the UK LP "Rolling Stones No. 2"). This was the first and ONLY official release of this song in stereo!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 31, 2010 18:08

So what you're saying, or said, is that ABKCO purposely printed up different versions of The Singles Collection or it turned out that perhaps early pressings had the 45 mix of Street Fighting Man? I've never heard a different version of the song studio wise. Officially that is. Heard Paid Their Dues but never a different mix of Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 31, 2010 23:35

thkbeercan
The photo on the US single sleeve was taken at the riots in Chicago during the 1968 Democratic Convention.

I´m sorry, but you are wrong about where the photo is taken. It´s from LA, proof is here, courtesy of stonerelics:
[mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-31 23:36 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: February 1, 2010 08:04

mickijaggeroo
thkbeercan

I´m sorry, but you are wrong about where the photo is taken. It´s from LA, proof is here, courtesy of stonerelics:
[mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

You are right. My bad. No worries. It's all good.

Date: February 1, 2010 08:12

skipstone
So what you're saying, or said, is that ABKCO purposely printed up different versions of The Singles Collection or it turned out that perhaps early pressings had the 45 mix of Street Fighting Man? I've never heard a different version of the song studio wise. Officially that is. Heard Paid Their Dues but never a different mix of Street Fighting Man.

ABKCO released a boxed set called "The Singles Collection-The London Years" in 1986. This boxed set used the stereo Lp track of "Street Fighting Man".
The same set was reissued in 2002 with some differences, one of them being that the original mono 45 mix was used. This same mono 45 mix (which has a noticeably different and odd vocal mix, probably issued as a mistake) was used in their more recent boxed set of singles "1968-1971"

Posted by: Mister J ()
Date: February 1, 2010 08:35

The French single 79.030 have the alternate mix. It can be found on other 1968 european "SFM" singles.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: February 1, 2010 10:24

I remember that the single was release in early autumn 1968 in Sweden, and also in the US (and maybe many other countries as well). But I don't think it was released as a single in the UK until 1971, after Decca lost the Stones. Maybe the London version in the UK was a US import, since it was officially not released until 1971?
Mats

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: February 1, 2010 11:01

I don't know what the attraction to the mono single version of SFM with the delayed/repeated vocal is? It sounds horrid.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 1, 2010 17:24

thkbeercan
skipstone

ABKCO released a boxed set called "The Singles Collection-The London Years" in 1986. This boxed set used the stereo Lp track of "Street Fighting Man".
The same set was reissued in 2002 with some differences, one of them being that the original mono 45 mix was used. This same mono 45 mix (which has a noticeably different and odd vocal mix, probably issued as a mistake) was used in their more recent boxed set of singles "1968-1971"

I was pleased to find that they had used the 45 mix in the 2002 Abkco remaster of The Singles Collection. A collection of singles SHOULD use the mixes that were used for the singles, not the LP mixes, as sometimes there are significant differences, SFM being one of those.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 1, 2010 17:29

studiorambo
I don't know what the attraction to the mono single version of SFM with the delayed/repeated vocal is? It sounds horrid.

Tis messy double tracking. smiling smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 1, 2010 20:32

So when The Singles Collection came out in 1989 it was supposed to be all the single versions. Ahhh but it's NOT!

It's not exactly that now is it because some of the single versions are the LP versions. But there were some different mixes perhaps. But the only real edit, that I can recall, is You Can't Always Get What You Want. Nothing was ever edited to be shorter than the LP mix for their singles since they never really went on albums.

So is the 2002 Singles Collection the same as the 1989 original issue?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 2, 2010 01:52

The single had two releases in the UK, one was a "maxi-single" (Decca F13195) that played at 33 and the other was a regular 45 (Decca F13203).
As I remember it, and we are going back the best part of forty years now, the maxi-single was issued first, but because it played at 33, it wasn't radio DJ or jukebox friendly so the 45 was issued soon after.
I've been trying to find release dates for both of these but I've come up with conflicting reports.
Both Roy Carr and Martin Elliott have the release of the 45 in July 1970 and the maxi-single (with the sides flipped) in June 1972, which doesn't tie in with my memory or with the release date printed on the labels, which is 1971.
Karnbach, on the other hand, has the maxi-single issued on June 25 1971 and the 45 issued on July 20 1971, which seems to fit.
What doesn't fit is the fact that the 45 entered the UK chart on July 3 1971.
(It reached number 21 and stayed on the chart for 8 weeks.)
Can anybody clarify?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 2, 2010 13:35

The only major "faults" on the new Remastered Singles Collection from 2002, is that they use a longer edit of "Tell Me", instead of the original US single edit -which is on the box "Singles 1963-65".

Also they use a "folddown" of "Ruby Tuesday", complete with the missing vocal overdub missing on all the 2002 versions.

The original mono-mix of "Ruby Tuesday" has yet to be released on cd, but the original stereo-mix of the song, was restored on "Rolled Gold +" in 2007.

Date: February 2, 2010 13:50

Felix Aeppli has the 33 1/3 maxi single released on June 30 '71. And the 45 on July 20 '71.

Doesn't help the confusion that USA put it out in '68. I read that the Mono version actually has an extra vocal track in the chorus.
SFM the single stands alone from other 60's singles for some reason. If one reads up on all the London activity re. Stones releases, there are several re-releases. SFM is always excluded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-02 14:12 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 11, 2014 16:27

thkbeercan
skipstone

The instrument mix is also different. I just bought the original mono single, and hadn't really noticed that before.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 11, 2014 20:58

FYI, that I've got a Finnish version of SFM 7" single.

F22825 (XDR 43220 & XDR 43221)

A-side: SREET FIGHTING MAN (yes, T is missing)
B-side: NO EXPECTATIONS

Made in Finland, Oy Finnlevy Ab, 1968.

And this one's got different vocals. Sounds like double vocals. Sadly the sleeves are missing sad smiley

Date: November 11, 2014 21:02

Single Malt
FYI, that I've got a Finnish version of SFM 7" single.

F22825 (XDR 43220 & XDR 43221)

A-side: SREET FIGHTING MAN (yes, T is missing)
B-side: NO EXPECTATIONS

Made in Finland, Oy Finnlevy Ab, 1968.

And this one's got different vocals. Sounds like double vocals. Sadly the sleeves are missing sad smiley

[www.45cat.com]

Date: November 11, 2014 21:11

The mono single mix.

Date: November 11, 2014 21:21

Incidentally, UK pressings do exist but these were made for export to Denmark.

[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2014 21:56

I love these discussions.

I probably have every possible version of what you're describing, including 'promo' singles and I didn't even realize the mixes/recordings were different.

The non-aficionado's just wouldn't get it!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 16, 2014 23:06

I agree that non-aficianados look at us like we are crazy.

Well, we ARE, but in a very very very good humor!

The US promo single "Mono" mix was also on the first-day pressings of the blue-label US 45 and is sought after. There is also a Stereo Orange Label promo 45, it self quite rare and desired.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: November 17, 2014 13:27

stonesstein
I agree that non-aficianados look at us like we are crazy ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Oh Yes ! There is also a Stereo Orange Label promo 45, it self quite rare and desired.

Hey Stonesstein !
Very interesting info ! - I never noticed, -
Do you, - or others, - know which version this Orange-swirl-STEREO-promo
holds ?
I have an Orange-swirl-promo, - which holds the alternate MONO-SFM, -
wonder if the STEREO has the album-version -
or -
Gsppp - the alternate version in STEREO - ? ? ?
( - of which I have never heard )

Date: November 17, 2014 21:56

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 18, 2014 06:59

HenrikBB
stonesstein
I agree that non-aficianados look at us like we are crazy ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Oh Yes ! There is also a Stereo Orange Label promo 45, it self quite rare and desired.

Hey Stonesstein !
Very interesting info ! - I never noticed, -
Do you, - or others, - know which version this Orange-swirl-STEREO-promo
holds ?
I have an Orange-swirl-promo, - which holds the alternate MONO-SFM, -
wonder if the STEREO has the album-version -
or -
Gsppp - the alternate version in STEREO - ? ? ?
( - of which I have never heard )

It has been awhile since I have played it, so I will pull it out an listen and let you know, but if my memory serves me well, it is the album version and not a stereo mix of the alternate version ........

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:59

Hey Stonesstein !
I´m sure your memory is intact ! - in every way ! -
but still a little curious !
- so please do go down into the dusty vault, - find the
orange-swirl-Stereo-promo -
and tell us all what you hear ! smiling smiley

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: September 15, 2016 05:29

thkbeercan
A 1971 'maxi-single" was released by Decca in the UK which featured Street Fighting Man, Surprise Surprise, and the STEREO mix of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (the version found on the UK LP "Rolling Stones No. 2"). This was the first and ONLY official release of this song in stereo!

FYI, the stereo mix of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love wasn't unique to that single. It was on a number of LPs, notably Rock'N'Rolling Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home