Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick and Keith working together again.....
Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: October 26, 2007 15:29

Doesn't it seem that after the quality of songs on ABB that came out of the two of them working so closely together, that a little more effort like this on their parts would probably lend itself to creating another mega-classic that we all know they have within themselves...?

Re: Mick and Keith working together again.....
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2007 15:49

Recent and probably mischeivious comments from Mick might not auger well for this hope.
He's been quoted as saying that almost all the songs are written alone, there's very little collaboration... or if Keith does write one, he [Mick] just sings it.
He also said that he doesn't much care whether the guitar player is Keith Richards, Pete Towshend or Jeff Beck...because he usually just turns up later and sings over the tape ;^).
Mick was evidently in one of THOSE moods ...maybe because he's just released another solo record that nobody wants to buy.;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-26 15:50 by Spud.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 26, 2007 15:52

In today's world, with so many good artists out there, a lot of which we'll never know, I don't think anyone, including the Glimmer Twins, are capable of coming up with a "mega hit" that stands out above the rest.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 26, 2007 15:59

I think it was Ian Hunter who claimed that "All the good ones are taken". Not easy to write something fresh and yet something that will stand the test of time. Good luck Glimmer Twins.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: October 26, 2007 16:20

"All good ones are taken"?
Good point.
I just try to recall, what might have been a so called evergreen
written in the last, let's say, 10 years.
"Baby one more time" "sung" by britney spears?
I don't think so.
Any ideas?
Me not...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 26, 2007 18:12

Watch these interviews from 1973 and you can see they always preferred writing alone. Keith says one or the other writes 90% of the song and the other contributes just a bit at the end.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: October 26, 2007 18:20

twanghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I just try to recall, what might have been a so
> called evergreen
> written in the last, let's say, 10 years

What comes to mind reading these lines is "Clocks" or "The Scientist" by Coldplay, both are very popular, still easy to remember and moreover they're very good.

But I can see the point you're making. Really not too much candidates for the title "Evergreen" available there...

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 26, 2007 18:57

There are still plenty of mega-hits. "Hey Ya" by Outkast, "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley to name a few.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 26, 2007 19:00

Svartmer Wrote:
> I think it was Ian Hunter who claimed that "All
> the good ones are taken".

nice... great single by Ian (the fast version). In the video he's without his shades!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 26, 2007 19:45

You'd think that working together could spark a heavy-hitting album but a lot has to come together for it to work. There needs to be passion and enthusiasm to write good songs. Cooperation and patience is also needed. But so much time has passed where they've allowed so much space between them--especially in the songwriting category--that working together seems to be a hard thing for them to accomplish. They've become so used to writing songs by themselves.

Nevertheless, the product of ABB is pretty good. Not great. If only they had maintained a strong, consistent and tight songwriting relationship in the last decade--we would've noticed a significant change in the last couple albums.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 26, 2007 19:53

>> Keith says one or the other writes 90% of the song and the other contributes just a bit at the end. <<

actually that isn't what Keith says in that 1973 interview; he said it works that way sometimes,
and other times it works in other ways - which is about as deeply informative as the Glimmer Twins ever get
about their songwriting processes.

timeisonourside.com has a few good pages about it: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 26, 2007 20:02

I assume they will be back together at Mick's castle in France before we know it, and make another set of songs, and another album. Not just something I assume in fact.

Bjornulf

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 26, 2007 20:55

cryptic comment, bv... care to elaborate?

Date: October 26, 2007 21:32

I am not their press agent. They like to keep their little secrets. Give them some patience please and surprise surprise there will be a new record. Don't know when, but rather sooner than later. Not as long wait as for the latest one. Not at all. Some say next year. I don't know. If they agree on the date they might do in in a month. But the marketing and money machine has to get involved, so I really don't know. Patience is the word. But soon is my gut feeling. Within 2008 best case.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 26, 2007 21:49

Thanks for the news, BV. Very good indeed. Be interesting to see if this is for Virgin and whether it will be a full album or just a few new songs.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 26, 2007 21:56

My guess would be a full album. No point in making a few new songs unless they are releasing another comp. which they really don't need to do at this point.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: October 26, 2007 21:56

I also think they're very aware of time being of the essence at this point in their careers and the fact it could be over at any time will give it an urgency, especially for the songwriting.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 26, 2007 22:44

There is an unofficial contract between mick and keith. They share the royalties. If one of them write a 100% song, he shares with the other. If ronnie want to receive 10% of royalties he surely needs to write 80% of the song. Mick and keith taken the rest. That's why mick taylor is gone too. I think mick writes a lot of 100% of a song. See his solo albums. It's often credited Mick jagger only. Never with keith. If he records with other people, these guys take their part. They have not a kind of private contract like mick and keith. The others guys are not be afraid to ask for their money. Ronnie can't do that. I think they work like that but perhaps I'm wrong too.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 26, 2007 23:40

I don't believe they have completed the writing alone, tho especially in the past few years each may complete songs individually...Jeff adds Jeff Beck guitar, recalling the story of how the other 4 Y'birds wrote & recorded their 1966 "Roger the Engineer" album, then brought Jeff in to do what he does all over the tracks they'd laid down... Keith (as well as the Stones' performances) COMPLETES Jagger songs.The Mick solo and Mick Stones songs are so often different, and with some noteable exceptions it's because whether he likes it or not Keith is Mick's crucial collaborator...Just as Rod post Ron Wood never quite caught that same brilliance he had during '69 - 75... And Mick probably edits/adds lyrics to many Keith ideas (as boots suggest, lyrically K may have a chorus or refrain plus ad-libs). Again, with exceptions - for both have done excellent work without the other.

Date: October 26, 2007 23:43

They write their own songs. Confirmed by both Mick and Keith on several occations. Nothing wrong with that. Then they discuss the final cut and mixing of course. That used to be the tricky part, but not with ABB, where they actually said life is too short for arguing about mixes etc.

Bjornulf

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 27, 2007 00:28

bv Wrote:
> I am not their press agent. They like to keep
> their little secrets. Give them some patience
> please and surprise surprise there will be a new
> record. Don't know when, but rather sooner than
> later. Not as long wait as for the latest one. Not
> at all. Some say next year. I don't know. If they
> agree on the date they might do in in a month. But
> the marketing and money machine has to get
> involved, so I really don't know. Patience is the
> word. But soon is my gut feeling. Within 2008 best
> case.

Hmmm... I'm not curious now... no. Just salivating like a you know what!
Thanks for the non-press agent info or "clue". I am just glad that after being a fan for 26 years that we can still be looking at getting new material from our favorite band.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 27, 2007 00:30

Thanks bv for your educated guess on the likelyhood of them writing together again.
Voodoo Lounge was organised around Ronnie's place in Dublin, for Bridges, it was LA. Four Licks seemingly evolved in Paris, and ABB came into existence when the posse met near the river Cisse at Mick's place. So why not give the next proceedings a bit more of a caribbean flavour and meet at Keith's place overlooking Ocho Rios, or the postal adress of the Promopub B.V. headquarters in the Antilles?

I hope the proceedings don't further delay the Was (Not Was) comeback record that's in the works if you believe the Was "Brothers" semi-official website.

We'll see what happens. Good luck with guys!

Re: glimmer
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 27, 2007 13:15

>> They write their own songs. Confirmed by both Mick and Keith on several occasions. <<

yes: they write their own, and they also collaborate. they've confirmed that over & over,
together and separately, and there are still people who second-guess them.

the sun came up, and the moon went down (i may have it the wrong way round).
no one told me about this - i wonder if they do that regularly or if this was a fluke :E

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 27, 2007 14:13

Svartmer Wrote:
> I think it was Ian Hunter who claimed that "All
> the good ones are taken". Not easy to write
> something fresh and yet something that will stand
> the test of time. Good luck Glimmer Twins.

Yeah and they have written a lot of them!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 27, 2007 16:27

"That's why mick taylor is gone too"

Yes but he NEVER wrote anything of value be it inside the Stones or outside. His "best" songwriting effort "Time Waits For No One" has this horribly dated 70's sound with endless soloing à la Peter Frampton.
MT was just great at embellishing stuff written by the Twins... very much like Bill Wyman!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 27, 2007 19:53

dcba Wrote:
> "That's why mick taylor is gone too"
>
> Yes but he NEVER wrote anything of value be it
> inside the Stones or outside. His "best"
> songwriting effort "Time Waits For No One" has
> this horribly dated 70's sound with endless
> soloing à la Peter Frampton.

"Horribly dated" ... I take exception to that ... gorgeous MT guitarwork on that track, if you ask me...

Drew

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 30, 2007 16:18

Just wanted to bump this thread as the Asian tour comes into focus and Mick continues to discuss writing new songs before the end of the year in interview after interview. BV's news about a potential new Stones album is starting to look like we could see recording starting in May or June after the SHINE A LIGHT promo shows are done. I'm all for an October 2008 release. Its certainly something worth hoping for.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 30, 2007 18:19

BV---THANK YOU.. best news today...now i am really looking forward to 08..
i think they could build on the Bigger Bang album and with all the touring they have done they could release a killer album..a real rocking album!

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: October 30, 2007 18:21

hope there are more nasty songs like

under the radar, it wont take long,

and less filler

driving too fast, dangerous beauty,

btw

this place is empty
is my favorite

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 30, 2007 18:29

Under the radar is a great song

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home