Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor
Date: January 27, 2010 18:19

LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 27, 2010 18:30

"Not sure he is, ablett:"

Well few points really....

Vibrato don't stop you hiring a skip and tidying your own garden!

He could easily have toured regularly, with other well known artists and made a good living.

He could easily record and sell new music online via his own website?

and put the pint glass down???

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: January 27, 2010 18:44

To each their own I guess.

To my ears, the beautiful and complex Mick Taylor melodies make the Stones music. It's always interesting, and constantly changing.

As for Ron Wood, HIS solos are all squint and grimace, over and over, and that doesn't work well with my speaker system. Sure, he made a lot of money joining the Stones, but I listen to music and don't spend a lot of energy thinking about who looks better or who has more money.

Who looks better is a critique I apply to beauty pageants, which I don't listen to.

If looks and wealth was a criteria for musical worth, Brittany Spears would be hailed as the best thing in music . . .

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:16

ablett
or perhaps he's happy with his lot and fed up of the same question after 30 odd years???

misterfrias
Not sure he is, ablett:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

You don't believe it's possible to deduct from that DM piece what Taylor is thinking, do you ?

The journalist that put that write-up together (for money) only spoke to Taylor once and that was over 12 years ago.
Mr Graham pursued Taylor for several years for an interview, but Taylor never granted him one.
This reporter is actually clueless about what is going on in Taylor's life. The "story" is a mix of lots of second guessing by the author and erroneous assumptions, taken from a previously published piece - in the same newspaper.

The journalist, Bob Graham went to the same school as Taylor as a teenager. Fifty years later he thought he could exploit this to make a quick buck if he'd convince Taylor to speak to him. He tried the "we're old schoolmates, you can trust me" approach. Taylor declined. So instead he just made something up that he could sell the tabloids.

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:29

I, for one, am extremely excited to see him live for the first time on May 4th. In other people's experiences, has he been approachable after to shows to talk to and sign items?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:43

some people put Taylor up on a pedestal like he's some sort of super awesome guitarist, but to me he's a good player but not super awesome, like John McLaughlin or countless others.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:50

slew
Can the Mick Taylor hero worship PLEASE STOP!!!! Enough already every thread has a comment about how much better they were with Mick. Mick is gone he is not coming back we are stuck with Ronnie let's leave it at that!!

You might as well stop this board then..winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 27, 2010 19:54

bernardanderson
some people put Taylor up on a pedestal like he's some sort of super awesome guitarist, but to me he's a good player but not super awesome, like John McLaughlin or countless others.

You miss the point entirely. It's about his specific contribution to the Stones' music - live and on record - not whether he is the best technical guitarist of all time like John McLaughlin. I couldn't care less if there are better guitarists technically, or who are more "super awesome", as you put it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:00

Jack Flash
I, for one, am extremely excited to see him live for the first time on May 4th. In other people's experiences, has he been approachable after to shows to talk to and sign items?

I've read on the Dutch Stonesforum he is. I'll take a look there and see if I can find some pictures of MT meeting his fans. Have some patience please.

Date: January 27, 2010 20:08

kleermaker
Jack Flash

I've read on the Dutch Stonesforum he is. I'll take a look there and see if I can find some pictures of MT meeting his fans. Have some patience please.

Don't worry kleermaker, you don't have to come up with "proof" that Taylor is approachable. There are thousands that can testify.
When Taylor was touring Europe in October, he made time to meet fans almost every night.

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:17

The way I see it as a whole, MOST of the Stones songs are so darn good, that ALL the guitar music, no matter who is playing with Keith... Ronnie or Mick, still sound like The Rolling Stones ! The greatest band of all time !

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:42

bassplayer617
A friend of mine admitted the truth about the whole Taylor business: he isn't a Stones fan, he's a Mick Taylor fan.../quote] That's only his perspective bassplayer and does and cannot apply to everyone. I'm a Taylor fan yes, but I'm also a Stones fan, a Keith fan and so on. It is overly simplistic to group those who sing the praises of one musician in a band as a fan only of that musician or of band during the period that musician was in the band.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:43

Double post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-27 20:43 by ChrisM.

Date: January 27, 2010 22:09

kleermaker
Jack Flash

click on this link:

[www.stonesforum.nl]

and scroll a bit, then you see the pictures.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 27, 2010 22:48

I'm just hoping that the rumor about Jagger having Taylor come in to overdub
some of the music for the re-release of: IORR is true...

That's 1st step for me, maybe they get together for one night and play that
album!!!

But Albett and the rest of you Taylor-haters can't come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

Date: January 27, 2010 23:26

MCDDTLC
I'm just hoping that the rumor about Jagger having Taylor come in to overdub
some of the music for the re-release of: IORR is true...

MLC

That rumour about the reissued Exile album you mean ?

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: January 28, 2010 00:08

MCDDTLC

But Albett and the rest of you Taylor-haters can't come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

I just want a BETTER Seat, (they'll be there) Lol

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:15

I like Mick as much as anyone else. But he is not a member of the Stones anymore nor will he ever be again.

The Stones were at their best live with Mick but in the studio they were best withe Brian Jones!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:12

slew, i hope as with Taylor one day the fans open their eyes and become aware of the fabulous contributions that Brian brought to the group, although i also get the feeling that it's most unlikely, partly because the music live and in the studio lacked a little of the sophistication of later years,and Mick and Keith weren't quite firing on all cylinders where songwriting consistency was concerned. However, that was certainly a time where their musical style was possibly at its most varied, thanks to the versitility of Brian. I also believe that Ronnie has been made the scapegoat for the Stones musical shortcomings all too frequently in recent years, when actually the decline in the Stones performances has pretty much included every member of the group. By contrast Mick Jagger seems to get off most lightly, despite the fact it is him who seems intent on parodying himself to an extent where he has turned the Stones into strictly a nostalgia act, by his intention of wanting to appear young and vital forever, but without ever touching on the true musical facets that originally made himself and the group such a formidable musical force. Taylor was and still is a tremendous guitarist, and he did transcend much of what he played to a thing of great beauty. I heard the term melancholy used in relation to his playing in one of the posts and it's true, his playing undoubtedly gave the Stones music that extra dimension, that sensitivity that has been missing ever since. Listening to a track like Dead Flowers live at the Marquee in 71 is such a treat because it's really Taylor that makes the song breathe with his beautiful guitar lines - listening to the later renditions always seems a little flat by comparison. Taylor still seems in good form from what i can see, however,whether he is as consistent as he was remains to be seen, but he's still more than capable of giving me goosebumps. Taylor was never really well equipped to be a star because he is naturally rather shy and retiring, and as others may have noted he works better when surrounded by fellow musicians, when he is not the centre of attention, and when perhaps he can contribute to someone else's output rather than create his own work as in being a solo artist. His playing contains rare sensitivity, perhaps because he's very sensitive and conscientious himself. Ronnie was good on the 78 and 81-82 tours and contributed greatly to the feel of the Some Girls album, and his highpoints within the band certainly where his playing is concerned has very much coincided with the groups highpoints as a whole, and his less inspired moments have also very much been in conjunction with the rest of the band. I don't think Taylor was missed greatly until more recent years - since the Las Vegas era Stones - because he represents a time when the Stones were truly at a peak, but i'm not sure any late participation by him would ever be likely to save them, it's like him being asked singlehandedly to save a sinking ship, however, that's not to say there would not be glimmers of pleasing results in the process. Ronnie worked well with the Stones during the punk and immediate post punk era, because the style of the time represented a more back to basics approach which suited Ronnie's style. Some Girls, the 78 and 81-82 tours and perhaps Emotional Rescue were contemporary sounding offerings at a time when the Taylor era Stones sound would have seemed pretty much out of step. However, that doesn't stop me believing that the Taylor era was the best and most satisfying in retrospect, from pretty much every perspective. Ronnie has always been a functional guitarist, but never transcendent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 09:18 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:17

Edward Twining
slew, i hope as with Taylor one day the fans open their eyes and become aware of the fabulous contributions that Brian brought to the group, although i also get the feeling that it's most unlikely, partly because the music live and in the studio lacked a little of the sophistication of later years,and Mick and Keith weren't quite firing on all cylinders where songwriting consistency was concerned. However, that was certainly a time where their musical style was possibly at its most varied, thanks to the versitility of Brian. I also believe that Ronnie has been made the scapegoat for the Stones musical shortcomings all too frequently in recent years, when actually the decline in the Stones performances has pretty much included every member of the group. By contrast Mick Jagger seems to get off most likely, despite the fact it is him who seems intent on parodying himself to an extent wher he is turning the Stones into strictly a nostalgia act, by his intention of wanting to appear young and vital forever, but without ever touching on the true musical facets that originally made himself and the group such a formidable musical force. Taylor was and still is a tremendous guitarist, and he did transcend much of what he played to a thing of great beauty. I heard the term melancholy used in relation to his playing in one of the posts and it's true, his playing undoubtedly gave the Stones music that extra dimension, that sensitivity that has been missing ever since. Listening to a track like Dead Flowers live at the Marquee in 71 is such a treat because it's really Taylor that makes the song breathe with his beautiful guitar lines - listening to the later renditions always seems a little flat by comparison. Taylor still seems in good form from what i can see, however,whether he is as consistent as he was remains to be seen, but he's still more than capable of giving me goosebumps. Taylor was never really well equipped to be a star because he is naturally rather shy and retiring, and as others may have noted he works better when surrounded by fellow musicians, when he is not the centre of attention, and when perhaps he can contribute to someone else's output rather than create his own work as in being a solo artist. His playing contains rare sensitivity, perhaps because he's very sensitive and conscientious himself. Ronnie was good on the 78 and 81-82 tours and contributed greatly to the feel of the Some Girls album, and his highpoints within the band certainly where his playing is concerned has very much coincided with the groups highpoints as a whole, and his less inspired moments have also very much been in conjunction with the rest of the band. I don't think Taylor was missed greatly until more recent years - since the Las Vegas era Stones - because he represents a time when the Stones were truly at a peak, but i'm not sure any late participation by him would ever be likely to save them, it's like him being asked singlehandedly to save a sinking ship, however, that's not to say there would not be glimmers of pleasing results in the process. Ronnie worked well with the Stones during the punk and immediate post punk era, because the style of the time represented a more back to basics approach which suited Ronnie's style. Some Girls, the 78 and 81-82 tours and perhaps Emotional Rescue were contemporary sounding offerings at a time when the Taylor era Stones sound would have seemed pretty much out of step. However, that doesn't stop me believing that the Taylor era was the best and most satisfying in retrospect, from pretty much every perspective. Ronnie has always been a functional guitarist, but never transcendent.

I think the fact that Brian was great is a given. Taylor is very much alive and that's why he draws more commentary.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:31

Good post, Edward.

Especially the point concerning Ronnie as a spacegoat. It seems to be a sort of psychological thing among die-hard Stones fans to give excuses for our true heroes. Cohl, Leavell or Ronnie are not the reasons of the decline of The Stones. And also Taylor was 'lucky' that he happened to enter the band in teh middle of its most creative peak. And I cannot think better choice as him to the role he was given at the time. But not even him couldn't save the mediocre and repitive IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL album (as couldn't Brian's multi-intrumentalism and natural experimentality to save THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES). The Stones hit the heights and the lows with the creative spark of Mick and Keith and under their guidance. All the rest - even Brian and Taylor - need to work within these limits.

I think Ronnie did a great job in the role he was given from 1975 to 1982 (and 1986 studiowise). I think he was great choice in 1975.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 09:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:41

Taylors solo works!!!!!!!!!! The only great thing thas this man has made is with the RS. Ron Wood solo carreer is much better tahn Taylor's, Richard's and jagger's together. I agree he is not so sopphisticated as Taylor, very little technique, no shreder, but RS music do not need guitar virtuoso heroes

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:55

Re SOME GIRLS

I think Ronnie's contribution to the greatness of SOME GIRLS album is sometimes over-rated by "Ronnie apologists" The kick to that album didn't come from Ronnie but from the change of the climate, thé punk movement especially. SOME GIRLS if any album is the most Jaggerian album ever. I guess Johnny Rotten has mose causal impact to the nature of the album than Ronnie had. But Ronnie was a good side kick, of course, to accomplish the kind of things Jagger wanted. But I take that Ronnie following the orders - "faster, faster, faster!" - than other way around. And seemingly all those simple two/three chord rockers - going usually from A - are Mick's, with Ronnie and Keith giving a nice weaving support (even though I have sometiems the impression that the band from Charlie to Keith is not quite in terms with their vocalist's drive and hurry; perhaps Ronnie more is...). Not sure abou the origin of the riff of "Shattered" - is that probably Ronnie's?

But behind that - the true musical gems of the album that gives the depth to the album and makes it a classic - "Miss You" was written with Billy Preston and "Beast of Burden" and "Before They Make me Run" are Keith's musical ideas.

The claim (made in some of these threads - there are some many of them I lost the track...) that Ronnie had a bigger impact on SOME GIRLS than Taylor to his era albums is bullshit. Maybe to DIRTY WORK but I wouldn't shout that too loud if I were Ronnie...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 10:06 by Doxa.

Date: January 28, 2010 10:34

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 10:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: laugui ()
Date: January 28, 2010 10:36

mick taylor is mick taylor
he is the real guitar virtuoso
and his slide playing vibrato and wah wah
is the best
i always walk with some of his music in my head
you gotta move love in vain or blind willie mc tell
he is the best

Date: January 28, 2010 12:48

Doxa
Re SOME GIRLS

I think Ronnie's contribution to the greatness of SOME GIRLS album is sometimes over-rated by "Ronnie apologists" The kick to that album didn't come from Ronnie but from the change of the climate, thé punk movement especially. SOME GIRLS if any album is the most Jaggerian album ever. I guess Johnny Rotten has mose causal impact to the nature of the album than Ronnie had. But Ronnie was a good side kick, of course, to accomplish the kind of things Jagger wanted. But I take that Ronnie following the orders - "faster, faster, faster!" - than other way around. And seemingly all those simple two/three chord rockers - going usually from A - are Mick's, with Ronnie and Keith giving a nice weaving support (even though I have sometiems the impression that the band from Charlie to Keith is not quite in terms with their vocalist's drive and hurry; perhaps Ronnie more is...). Not sure abou the origin of the riff of "Shattered" - is that probably Ronnie's?

But behind that - the true musical gems of the album that gives the depth to the album and makes it a classic - "Miss You" was written with Billy Preston and "Beast of Burden" and "Before They Make me Run" are Keith's musical ideas.

The claim (made in some of these threads - there are some many of them I lost the track...) that Ronnie had a bigger impact on SOME GIRLS than Taylor to his era albums is bullshit. Maybe to DIRTY WORK but I wouldn't shout that too loud if I were Ronnie...

- Doxa

Why do you think they called it Diry Work?

As for Miss you: just an ordinary song, nothing special at all. Compare it for instance to Angie (also some sort of miss you as for its meaning). Btw: Angie live 1973 is preferable to the studio version imo. But that concerns so much other stuff, like Brown sugar for instance. On SF rather boring, live thrilling when MT was still on stage.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 28, 2010 13:10

kleermaker

Btw: Angie live 1973 is preferable to the studio version imo. But that concerns so much other stuff, like Brown sugar for instance. On SF rather boring, live thrilling when MT was still on stage.

Brown Sugar on SF rather boring ? Think you might have this opinion pretty exclusive ,....,tastes are different,proven once more again here.

Date: January 28, 2010 13:16

<like Brown sugar for instance. On SF rather boring, live thrilling when MT was still on stage.>

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats the studio version, imo. Not even a guitar solo that blocks the fantastic sax solo.

Date: January 28, 2010 13:25

I know that Brown sugar is a bit holy because of its nice beginning (let's not exaggerate it), but there's surprisingly few surprise in it. Except if you're fond of saxwinking smiley.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 28, 2010 13:42

kleermaker
I know that Brown sugar is a bit holy because of its nice beginning (let's not exaggerate it), but there's surprisingly few surprise in it. Except if you're fond of saxwinking smiley.

No,let´s not exaggerate it....

Lord Have Mercy

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home