Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Ronnie is not that bad , in fact he is damn good !
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 25, 2010 16:58

Doxa
otonneau
That's the essence of the tragedy of Ron Wood: musically he was never a necessary element, he couldn't be himself. He had 'his own album to do' to survive. He had a role to play. He couldn't be authentic. That makes the whole Keith-imitation of Ronnie so sad and ridiculous at the same time. Maybe it's even a factor that plays a role in his heavy drinking for years. One could say that Ron Wood has been severely misused by the Glimmers, though he willingly let it happen. A big mistake.

So true and very well put. For the first time since a long time I listened to Handsome Girls yesterday, and while Ronnie I think is excellent on the Some Girls tracks, he simply has to fit in somehow on All Down The Line, for instance; his playing seems pointless because there is no space made for it. Since everything about Ronnie and Keith is about tight interaction, these tracks should have been re-rehearsed and not played with a clear-cut "rhythm-lead" separation; a different player needed different arrangements, but it seems nobody cared. It is indeed pointless to have Ronnie replace Taylor post for post (as they say in football! If you swap Drogba for Anelka, you have to adapt the team's overall strategy).

Ronnie could have achieved so much more.

Edited because the quoting system is driving me nuts!

Good good points! But in fairness to Ronnie I think the progression happened in his peak era - or in the era I would call 'Ronnie era': 1975-82 - they were actually heading for that direction: to rearrange the old songs with this new the 'master and his loyal gun holder' but still sort of equal terms -policy. Especially mastering the songs with this policy it was easy after Wood had contributed to creating the songs themselves (the Marconi-triumphiate: SOME GIRLS-EMOTIONAL RESCUE-TATTOO YOU)... True, that they didn't re-arrange certain songs that had so strong Taylor presence: "Love In Vain", "Gimme Shelter", "All Down The Line", "You Can' Always Get What You Want" to name a few. You can hear Ronnie struggling there. But almost anyone would if asked "okay: do the Taylor bit").

But by 1981, if not yet in 1978, I think the Wood-Richards axis had mastered themselves and they could 'weave' through any song, and by then they had let quite a big percantage of Taylor triumps aside: "Midnigt Ramler", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For he Devil", "Street Fighting Man", "Bitch"...) that had Taylor's mark in all of them. Especially wonderful examples of the 'weave stategy' in use is the way they work through very old (Brian era) songs: "Under My Thumb", "Let's Spend The Night Togeher", "Satisfaction"... for example, the way they play "Under My Thumb" is totally different - but at least as great if even better - as the way they work out the song with Taylor in 1969. And what is wonderful in those 1978 and 1981/82 tours is that the bulk of the material comes from the recent albums. From the 'Taylor age', they only took the obvious highlights.

I think it is important to notice that it has been different since 1989 when they started to listen the originals and tried to imitate those in their arrangements. That was the end of the guitar love affair of Keith and Ronnie. Especially it hurts Ronnie, because I think his way of playing didn't suit at all to this strict discipline policy. For that reason I don't call that "Ronnie era" but with another name I refuse to use now... (I think Taylor might suit better to this new, unnamed era because he maybe has more discipline and studio musician attitude in his playing than Ronnie; he is techically more 'traditional player' as Ronnie is). So it is unfair to compare Ronnie's post-1989 contribution to the Taylor-era. All the relevant comparison should be rejected to the years between 1969 and 1982 as far as the contribution of these two guys is concerned.

- Doxa

Doxa, I cannot believe how you, after such a good remark about copying the originals, can say that "Taylor might suit better to this new, unnamed era". Taylor, the man who, within a certain structure, needs room to tell a story, to tell us the essence of the song. I always found his studio achievements far less impressing than his fantastic live work and I'm sure that that's one of the main reasons he quit. Taylor is not at his best on Bitch (he plays his part well, but he had to play Keith's part who still wanted to get on playing his poor 'soli'. On Brown sugar on SF Taylor had to play so weakly, in comparison to his live versions of that song, which are marvellous. How boring Brown sugar is on SF, how great it is on the bootlegs! No, on the studio albums the Glimmers gave Taylor not much room, to make an understatement. He certainly had to fight for it and sometimes he succeeded (Sway, CYHMK, Shine a light, 100 years ago, TWFNO, well we know all those songs, don't we). It's ridiculous to say that Taylor was the just man to copy those old songs. Imagine him playing I'm free as on the studio album. I advise you to have a listen to I'm free live, on bootleg of course (1969 Oakland, Liver than you'll ever be, if I'm correct). Do I need more to say to refute your suggestion? No. A clever try from your side, but not clever enough this time.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 25, 2010 17:35

kleermaker

Doxa, I cannot believe how you, after such a good remark about copying the originals, can say that "Taylor might suit better to this new, unnamed era". Taylor, the man who, within a certain structure, needs room to tell a story, to tell us the essence of the song. I always found his studio achievements far less impressing than his fantastic live work and I'm sure that that's one of the main reasons he quit. Taylor is not at his best on Bitch (he plays his part well, but he had to play Keith's part who still wanted to get on playing his poor 'soli'. On Brown sugar on SF Taylor had to play so weakly, in comparison to his live versions of that song, which are marvellous. How boring Brown sugar is on SF, how great it is on the bootlegs! No, on the studio albums the Glimmers gave Taylor not much room, to make an understatement. He certainly had to fight for it and sometimes he succeeded (Sway, CYHMK, Shine a light, 100 years ago, TWFNO, well we know all those songs, don't we). It's ridiculous to say that Taylor was the just man to copy those old songs. Imagine him playing I'm free as on the studio album. I advise you to have a listen to I'm free live, on bootleg of course (1969 Oakland, Liver than you'll ever be, if I'm correct). Do I need more to say to refute your suggestion? No. A clever try from your side, but not clever enough this time.

I think you read to much into my suggestion or a bit misintepret it - I know that Taylor is a man who needs room to really shine, and the copy the originals-policy surely is not his gig! - but I just suggested (without too much reflection really, I admit) that of those two guys, Taylor could handle the gig better. This is simply because I think Taylor is techically better guitar player, and more competent than Ronnie to shine in a 'lesser', more disciplined role. The structures of the songs wouldn't be such a big deal for him. He would have survived better musically than Ronnie who, unfortunately, as everybody knows, way too many times gives the impression that his hands are freezing when the 'moment' comes, and is simply struggling too hard and going nowhere. But I am sure that Taylor would not have lasted one tour in this nostalgic, Leavell-driven version of the Stones... as being too artistic kind of guy I think... If he was bored in 1973, what that had been in 1989? But of course, Woodie wins Taylor in imagewise, which, I think, could be much more important thing in the guitar department from 1989 on. Plays sloppily but looks like "rock&roll outlaw", as someone put i nicely grinning smiley.

But I think the kind of guitarist Jagger reaally needs or wants if he could decide would not been neither Taylor or Wood (or Keith, actually), but some kind of reliable hired gun he had in his solo tours.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-25 17:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2010 17:43

Come On
Ronnie is simply the best
better than all the rest
better than anyone
anyone I've ever met

Mere boosterism and cheerleading.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 25, 2010 17:57

I totally agree that Ronnie's damned good when he's good.
I've been to 110 Stones shows. More than 90 of them with Ronnie in the band. There have been times when he's actually carried the entire show on his skinny shoulders. I remember some shosw on the Licks tour, when his CYHMN was beyond description. So lovely - grown men cried. This lady cried, too.
So, we don't like the mess he's gotten himself into with the booze and the Russian hookers, but that doesn't change the fact that he's been good most of the time, brilliant on a lot of occations - and a valuable band member ALWAYS.
And if it was not for his sweet diplomacy in the late 80's, there wouldn't have been a Rolling Stones today. It would have been over, 21 or 22 years ago, if Ronnie hadn't used his brilliant social skills to get Mick and Keith to come to speaking terms again.
A lot of people tend to forget this, in the midst of trying to glorify Taylor. I'm not saying that Taylor is not a great guitarist, and at his best, he was a better guitarist than Ronnie. But there are qualities Ronnie has that makes him a better choice for the Stones.
And we all know Taylor's never going to go on stage with his former band again. Perhaps with the exception for their final show ever - if they know that in advance.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:01

liddas
FACT: Ron Wood was and still is one of the greatest rock and roll musicians of all times.

Full stop.

C

fact: that is an opinion, not a fact

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:14

Take another hit.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:15

T&A
liddas
FACT: Ron Wood was and still is one of the greatest rock and roll musicians of all times.

Full stop.

C

He's pretty great - one wasn't enough now he's got two. Looks like he's got a little Bianca action going. Eat yer heart out Mick.

Get in there Ronnie.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:16

T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

You are wrong. It IS a FACT! No use discussing it. It is like discussing if the world is round or flat.

C

Date: January 25, 2010 18:27

liddas
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

You are wrong. It IS a FACT! No use discussing it. It is like discussing if the world is round or flat.

C

ok, i'm sorry. it was only my opinion that your opinion was just an opinion, not a fact. but, it's a fact that i'm sorry and i will refrain from trying to correct people on the use of the proper terminology when they are wrong....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:32

T&A
liddas
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

C

ok, i'm sorry. it was only my opinion that your opinion was just an opinion, not a fact. but, it's a fact that i'm sorry and i will refrain from trying to correct people on the use of the proper terminology when they are wrong....

Leonardo da Vinci was one of the greatest artists of all times. Fact or my personal opinion?

C

Date: January 25, 2010 18:45

Both winking smiley

Date: January 25, 2010 18:45

liddas
T&A
liddas
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

C

Leonardo da Vinci was one of the greatest artists of all times. Fact or my personal opinion?

C

it's a fact that many people share that opinion

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:52

What is and is not great art is subjective, but that's just my opinion...

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: January 25, 2010 18:58

T&A
liddas
T&A
liddas
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

C

C

it's a fact that many people share that opinion
Clever answersmoking smiley

Date: January 25, 2010 19:00

liddas
T&A
liddas
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

C

C
Right!!!I loved him on track 3 "REVOLVER"..OH NO!!!Wrong guy....sorrygrinning smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 25, 2010 19:01

It is a fact that T&A is as funny as he believes he is......

Date: January 25, 2010 19:04

ablett
It is a fact that T&A is as funny as he believes he is......

it's a fact that it warms ol' T&A's cockles to know he irritates ablett so....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2010 19:08

T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 25, 2010 19:40

Cute chick with Ronnie. Nice mouth.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 25, 2010 19:54

kleermaker

AYLOR ERA SETLIST, which consists of 3 CD's, containing the best version of every song the Stones played live during those marvellous years 1969-1973 and which is available on bootleg. It's the best music I own (together with the very best of Mozart and Schubert) and I can listen to it every moment and more than x-million times without one boring moment!

1. kleermaker, I would be interested to hear your choices for the "best of Taylor" discs. Why don't you post them?
2. I love Ron Wood's work with the Faces. Love it. He's just never matched it in the Stones with a few exceptions.
3. Bottom line, Ron Wood never gave me goosebumps listening to music. Live Stones with Taylor does all the time. It's unfair to Woody to ask for goosebumps, but once you're there, it's hard to go back.
4. That chick is way cuter than Kat. But looks even younger, if that's possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-25 19:55 by Zack.

Date: January 25, 2010 20:08

Addicted
1) I totally agree that Ronnie's damned good when he's good.

2)...we don't like the mess he's gotten himself into with the booze and the Russian hookers... if Ronnie hadn't used his brilliant social skills...

3) And we all know Taylor's never going to go on stage with his former band again.

As for sub 1: that's absolutely very humorous, especially regarding the word "when".

As for sub 2: that's absolutely very humorous.

As for sub 3: that's not the issue here.

Date: January 25, 2010 21:06

Zack
kleermaker

TAYLOR ERA SETLIST, which consists of 3 CD's, containing the best version of every song the Stones played live during those marvellous years 1969-1973 and which is available on bootleg. It's the best music I own (together with the very best of Mozart and Schubert) and I can listen to it every moment and more than x-million times without one boring moment!

1. kleermaker, I would be interested to hear your choices for the "best of Taylor" discs. Why don't you post them?

Well, I picked them from only and many bootlegs and I don't remember precisely which number comes from which bootleg and I also didn't note it down. But I'll give you the list, maybe I'll check out which number is exactly wherefrom.

Here you go:

SETLIST TAYLOR-ERA LIVE

01. Brown sugar (3.17) Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1973
02. Dead flowers (4.01) 1972 (from Ladies & Gentlemen audio)
03. Love in vain (6.11) 1972
04. Midnight rambler (13.33) England 1973
05. Angie (4.37) England, 1973
06. Sympathy for the devil (10.34) Baltimore 1969 ('Some satanic tour')
07. Tumbling dice (5.03) 1973
08. Doo doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) (5.04) 1973
09. Route 66 (3.23) USA 18-1-1973 ('Nicaragua earthquake victims')
10. Don’t lie to me (2.12) 1972
11. It’s all over now (4.51) USA 18-1-1973 ('Nicaragua earthquake victims')
12. All down the line (4.17) 1972
13. Dancing with Mr. D (4.25) 1973
14. Gimme shelter (5.59) 1973
15. I’m free (5.06) Oakland, 1969, second show
16. Torn and frayed (5.11) Vancouver, 1972
17. Honky tonk women (3.03) 1973
18. Rip this joint (2.04) 1973
19. 100 years ago (4.57) Vienna 1973
20. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction (5.54) San Diego 1969
21. I got the blues (3.51) London, Marquee Club 1971
22. Happy (3.09) 1973
23. Stray cat blues (4.22) Essen, Germany 1970
24. Bitch (4.45) Australia 1973
25. Band introductions followed by Bye bye Johnny (4.38) 1972
26. Ventilator blues (3.20) Vancouver, 1972
27. Rocks off (5.07) 1973
28. You can’t always get what you want (7.38) 1972
29. No expectations (4.15) USA 18-1-1973 ('Nicaragua earthquake victims')
30. Jumpin’ Jack flash (3.39) 1972 or 1973
31. Street fighting man (5.28) England, 1973 (that famous one)

Extra (England, clubs 1971) London (Marquee and Roundhouse), Leeds

32. Brown sugar (4.04)
33. Dead flowers (4.43)
34. Stray cat blues (3.52)
35. Midnight rambler (11.21)
36. Honky tonk women (3.12)
37. Let it rock (2.42)
38. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction (5.12)
39. Love in vain (7.20)
40. Jumpin’ Jack flash (4.07)
41. Street fighting man (5.08)

The End

42. The sun is shining (7.00), Altamont 1969

Sorry I can't upload them. I'm absolutely not good at computer stuff. Just learned to burn CD's and DVD's a couple of weeks ago. (Got my driver's license only a few years ago, being born in 1955, so you'll understand I have not much with technics).

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 25, 2010 21:16

somebody kill me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2010 23:44

kleermaker
Zack
kleermaker

TAYLOR ERA SETLIST, which consists of 3 CD's, containing the best version of every song the Stones played live during those marvellous years 1969-1973 and which is available on bootleg. It's the best music I own (together with the very best of Mozart and Schubert) and I can listen to it every moment and more than x-million times without one boring moment!

Well, I picked them from only and many bootlegs and I don't remember precisely which number comes from which bootleg and I also didn't note it down. But I'll give you the list, maybe I'll check out which number is exactly wherefrom.

Here you go:

SETLIST TAYLOR-ERA LIVE

22. Happy (3.09) 1973

32. Brown sugar (4.04)
33. Dead flowers (4.43)
37. Let it rock (2.42)
39. Love in vain (7.20)

The End

Sorry I can't upload them. I'm absolutely not good at computer stuff. Just learned to burn CD's and DVD's a couple of weeks ago. (Got my driver's license only a few years ago, being born in 1955, so you'll understand I have not much with technics).

Stupid question Zack: The best setlist Ive seen.Why the **** did you quit Mr Taylor??

Date: January 25, 2010 23:55

Natlanta
somebody kill me.
Now thats funny!!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 26, 2010 16:46

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
Zack
kleermaker

Here you go:

SETLIST TAYLOR-ERA LIVE

22. Happy (3.09) 1973

32. Brown sugar (4.04)
33. Dead flowers (4.43)
37. Let it rock (2.42)
39. Love in vain (7.20)

The End

Stupid question Zack: The best setlist Ive seen.Why the **** did you quit Mr Taylor??

Thanks KM. I've got most of the major Taylor era boots, so figuring it out will be an interesting excuse to listen to it all again!

Amesterdammed, I googled "Why the @#$%& did you quit, Mr. Taylor" and came up with "10 steps to porn addiction, which one are you at?"

I am not making that up.

Date: January 26, 2010 17:44

Brue
T&A
liddas

Full stop.

C

He's pretty great - one wasn't enough now he's got two. Looks like he's got a little Bianca action going. Eat yer heart out Mick.

Get in there Ronnie.

Looks more like a young Marsha Hunt...dont go near Mick with her Ronnieeye popping smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: January 26, 2010 18:04

Ronnie was in great shape last saturday at the 100 Club with Saint Jude.
They did a great version of Flying. He looked very happy and cool on and off stage. So once again despite all rumours Ronnie is in great shape!

Saint Jude's Adam Green and Lynne Jackaman with Ron Wood

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 26, 2010 20:19

Mack Jigger
Ronnie was in great shape last Saturday at the 100 Club with Saint Jude.
They did a great version of Flying. He looked very happy and cool on and off stage. So once again despite all rumors Ronnie is in great shape!
So it would seem on last Saturday at least...

Posted by: michel ()
Date: January 26, 2010 21:54

Mathijs
Taylor was a fantastic lead guitarist and a pretty bad rhythm player, Wood was a good lead guitarist and a great rythm player. Taylor is not a composer, Wood wrote some great tracks, including the best post-Exile Stones album of the '70's with I've Got My Own Album to Do. With Wood the Stones became a much better band, with Charlie peaking in '75 and Bill in '81. With Taylor the Stones would not have survived the punk explosion. Taylor can't sing, Wood was a great singer. Taylor has become a fat drunk and Wood still looks like a true R&R outlaw.

When the Stones picked Taylor they could have pickid from a list of Great Blues Lead Guitarists. And all these guitarists would have played some great solo's on Sway and CYHMK, Exile would have been Exile, and the '72 tour would have been no different at all.
With Wood, they only could pick him as he is a true Rolling Stone. And that's what makes him special.

Mathijs

I totally agree with you, great post!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 21:59 by michel.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home