Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Ronnie is not that bad , in fact he is damn good !
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 30, 2010 10:13

Excellent guitar players all 4: KR, BJ, MT and RW. Each one has it 's own style; i even like MJ's . That's what the RS are about

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 30, 2010 10:17

Maybe the RS would be better with David Gilmour as lead guitarist............. he also plays simple blues licks with a big big feeling.............. maybe better tnat MT?
KR rules
RW rules
MT rules
BJ rules
Even MJ rules (as guitar player.....)

Do you imagine RS with Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Satriani..... Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Calpton, Seve Vai, Pet Townsend, ................??

The Stones are wath they are, a simple and strong R&R band with or without instrumental virtuosism (do you imagine MT playing Ruby Tuesday??)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 4, 2010 21:52

This thread started with a live performance of YCAGWYW, The Rolling Stones with Ron Wood. There's also a live version of this song with MT in this thread, the well known Brussels 'affair', 1973.

Here's my very first clip on YT, it's my favourite version of YCAGWYW, with one of my very favourite Taylor-moments, as I wrote in this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 4, 2010 22:17

kleermaker
This thread started with a live performance of YCAGWYW, The Rolling Stones with Ron Wood. There's also a live version of this song with MT in this thread, the well known Brussels 'affair', 1973.

Here's my very first clip on YT, it's my favourite version of YCAGWYW, with one of my very favourite Taylor-moments, as I wrote in this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

my compliments to you on this fine selection .i can not get enough of mick taylor's guitar work wow .someone on here said that taylor was "noodling" to much during the 73 tour and there is a keith quote i cant remember the exact phrase but something like knock it off or whatever but could not disagree more strongly .listening to this version with taylor makes it feel like the inspiration for ronnie wood's solo on love you live on ycagwyw.blown away ,also liked the trumpet in the begining in place of the french horn and i think that was jim price ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-04 22:44 by The Greek.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 4, 2010 22:27

A perfect example of why I miss MT so much, and the pairing of him and Keith defines the word 'synergy' more than any other duo of guitarists out there.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 5, 2010 00:41

I like everything about Ronnie. First, with his slim youthful figure, he looks like a Stone should look. Please forgive me for saying this, but Mick as a young man was just too handsome and now he is morbidly obese and a pain to have to look at. Ronnie's guitar work is much more sloppy and funky, and it perfectly compliments Keith's playing. Mick's playing is far too precise and controlled. Mick's resignation from the Stones was the best thing to ever happen to the Stones.

Also, Ronnie has a reputation for carousing, an image I like in a rock super star. Mick Taylor is a choir boy.

That ought to get the Stones fan fired up. Ronnie is damn good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 5, 2010 00:52

flilflam

Also, Ronnie has a reputation for carousing, an image I like in a rock super star. Mick Taylor is a choir boy.

Actually I was a choir boy myself. And also handsome. Still am. Also a soloist in that church choir, singing the soprano as well as the alto solo voice. Man, it was great, being a star as a boy, before a full Roman catholic church, the women crying while you were singing at the cross, playing/singing Jesus. But most of the time we were singing Latin masses up in the back of the church, just before the organ, in the balcony, looking down at the crowd. High and drygrinning smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 5, 2010 08:36

Unmistakable. Wembley, 9/8, 1st show. No Bobby Keys and Taylor had to fill the time with probably his longest on stage solo with the band. And I do not hear anyone cutting him off or telling him to shut up. Beautiful playing and tone and composition with the emotional peaks brought down to quietness. Jagger had a couple of phrases he used at the time and I am not at all sure he wasn't referring to Taylor's playing..."Sweet" (he said it twice here) and "Sugar Pie."

Kudos AGAIN to the taper who posts on this board. Many here are grateful.

Date: March 5, 2010 13:15

Discussing Taylor's merits and Wood's merits, Jones merits within the Stonea are essential for a Stonesboard. Even who might be better, which really means only who prefers who. But what I really hate are posts that throw around terms like "Woodist" and "Taylorites". That is drawing clear lines. I do think 99% here love all 3 versions of the Stones and know what it is all about.
In those 73 shows IMO Taylor sounds bored in places. He had the speed and fluidity that no one else in the band ever had, but he started applying it in senseless runs up and down the neck. Nothing against him; it is human nature. I do believe that his years solo taught him a lot as musician, and he would never call the Stones boring or limited anymore. Just those snippets from KC 81 make me wonder what he could do with today's songs in today's Stones; even for just a few shows or one album. Totally worth it IMO. Jagger, Keith, Taylor, Watts and Wood. If Jagger agreed - I guarantee it would take place, and IMO would not be nostalgic waxing, but a great musical experience.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: March 5, 2010 20:01

Palace Revolution 2000
Discussing Taylor's merits and Wood's merits, Jones merits within the Stonea are essential for a Stonesboard. Even who might be better, which really means only who prefers who. But what I really hate are posts that throw around terms like "Woodist" and "Taylorites". That is drawing clear lines. I do think 99% here love all 3 versions of the Stones and know what it is all about.
In those 73 shows IMO Taylor sounds bored in places. He had the speed and fluidity that no one else in the band ever had, but he started applying it in senseless runs up and down the neck. Nothing against him; it is human nature. I do believe that his years solo taught him a lot as musician, and he would never call the Stones boring or limited anymore. Just those snippets from KC 81 make me wonder what he could do with today's songs in today's Stones; even for just a few shows or one album. Totally worth it IMO. Jagger, Keith, Taylor, Watts and Wood. If Jagger agreed - I guarantee it would take place, and IMO would not be nostalgic waxing, but a great musical experience.

This is the first post i stand for, you can`t name it better, totaly agree on it

Date: March 5, 2010 20:17

The Greek
my compliments to you on this fine selection .i can not get enough of mick taylor's guitar work wow .someone on here said that taylor was "noodling" to much during the 73 tour and there is a keith quote i cant remember the exact phrase but something like knock it off or whatever but could not disagree more strongly .listening to this version with taylor makes it feel like the inspiration for ronnie wood's solo on love you live on ycagwyw.blown away ,also liked the trumpet in the begining in place of the french horn and i think that was jim price ?

Thanks for the compliments, Spartan Greek (can you read the old Greek language, like Plato? I canwinking smiley).

I myself like (live) clips in threads. In this thread clips of the Stones with both Wood and Taylor are allowed, I assume. And while I'm incidentally uploading some clips on YT maybe this is an apt place to give the link once and a while. So here's some slow blues:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 5, 2010 21:24

kleermaker

I myself like (live) clips in threads. In this thread clips of the Stones with both Wood and Taylor are allowed, I assume. And while I'm incidentally uploading some clips on YT maybe this is an apt place to give the link once and a while. So here's some slow blues:

Thing is Mick Taylor can't play like that now. In the majority of youtube clips of him playing live in more recent times he sounds as if he' hardly plays guitar apart from the actual gigs.

He had the licks and the ability to play them well back then, but he doesn't now! These days he's stiff, unsure, and it sounds like he doesn't fret properly at times etc etc.

Date: March 6, 2010 03:50

This time another side of Mick Taylor: no virtuosity, just simple acoustic guitar playing and rehearsing. During the first part (Dead Flowers) the accent is on the vocals, during the second part MT and Erwin Nijhoff play Time Waits For No One, the whole song: acousticly and simply.

Date: March 7, 2010 01:51

Here's part 2 of the former clip. Taylor on acoustic guitar with some nice moments. Listen to his very last and soft words: that's real blues (in a minor key).

Date: March 7, 2010 10:31

ok an OTHER one im responding to.. hey this 4 real gonna B my last... as regards Ronnie.. um... helluva bass player.. if not technically briliant.. sloppy guitar but allus had the Right hooks .. EVERY faces hit was directly BECAUSE of Ronnie.. 'i'm losin you' etc etc Poodle face was just in for the ride.. but, sadly . yeah... everybody associated with the JBG has gotten, well... worse over the years... other than the drummers, of course.........
so ... say... compare these guys with... say Kim Simmonds.. who has just gotten Better and Better. man oh man if you get to see ANY Savoy Brown lineup (which is, essentially, just Kim Simmonds and whoever he chooses to have play with him) or sorry whoever Harry chooses ;-)......
Kim just SMOKES.....................
so why coulnt these others do the same.. ronnie whats UR xcuse?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home