Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Nellcote guitar theft
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2010 10:37

Smokey
ChrisM
Sorry about the 'n' omission in your name. What you say is certainly plausible but then why didn't Mick use the SG, which he had used extensively since acquiring it, during the '72 tour and up until the time he may have given it away?

His shoulder healed? Gibson asked him to?

ChrisM
The 58 you mention was stolen while he was with Mayall and which prompted him to buy the Bigsby Burst in the fall of '67 as you already know.

I thought the story of the pre-Richards burst is:

Gardiner Houlgate to Sell £100,000 Gibson Guitar
HISTORY OF THE 1959 GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD GUITAR
The vendor John Scates was already an experienced, road hardened veteran of several 60's bands when, in 1968, while performing with an in vogue blues band called Pegasus, he saw an advert in the Melody Maker for a Gibson Les Paul Standard. At the time this desirable yet discontinued model was becoming ever more difficult to get hold of. More in hope than anticipation, John called the number advertised and was surprised to find he was speaking to Mick Taylor, who had only recently taken over as guitarist with The Blues Breakers, replacing Peter Green and later to replace Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones. An appointment was made and John went to Mick's West London flat where he handed over £200 and left with the Les Paul. Although a receipt was made out this has subsequently been misplaced.
When John Scates viewed the guitar it was apparent that a Bigsby unit was taken off and replaced with a non-standard stop tail piece. This was later changed by John to a standard fitting, but the Mick Taylor tail piece is offered with the guitar. Otherwise the guitar was and still is original in all respects.
The rather battered case is a non-standard case but is the one that came with the guitar and has suffered countless gigs.
Pegasus, although not commercially successful, were a tight and musical blues outfit and they soon became the unofficial resident support band at the Marquee where John, wielding his beloved standard, supported bands such as Free; Paul Kossoff played John's standard and loved it so much he offered to trade for a black three pick-up Les Paul, the offer was declined. ...
The auction will take place at The Westbury Hotel in Mayfair, London, on Monday 5 October 2009. For further information contact Jamie South (Director) or Luke H

So Taylor had three bursts in the 60s: the pre-Richards one stolen in '67, the Richards one, and this last one sold in '68?

This is the story they tried to sell off to make the guitar legitimate. Various people then pointed out that after all, this was a stolen guitar that was reported as such, and the auction never took place.

Mathijs

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 28, 2010 14:32

What about Keiths Black Beauty? Was it among the ones taken? When was the last time it photographed in use?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 28, 2010 14:36

klrkcr
What about Keiths Black Beauty? When was the last time it photographed in use?

1970 European tour.

Was it one of the guitars taken? Who Knows!?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2010 15:18

ChrisM
straycatblues73
i have no idea where ( or if) i heard / read that
has it been seen since the '70 tour?
Yes indeed it has. The Bigsby Burst surfaced in 2004 or so and was out up for auction but did not sell. It has changed hands privately a few times since and last I heard it now resides in Northern England. Check it out: Bigsby Burst
ChrisM, do you think it's true that keef started the gibson les paul burst popularity? being the first major rock star to favor the sunburst les paul ? never heard that one before ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 15:43 by The Greek.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 28, 2010 18:52

The Greek
ChrisM, do you think it's true that keef started the gibson les paul burst popularity? being the first major rock star to favor the sunburst les paul ? never heard that one before ?
Morning Greek. Keith was to the best of knowledge the first British rock star to play and use a Sunburst Les Paul but I don't think it was Keith who really started the craze for them. Rather, that distinction goes to Eric Clapton for it was he who first demonstrated the guitar's sonic and tonal capabilities on Mayall's Bluesbreakers album. Mike Bloomfield also deserves credit for starting the Sunburst boom with his Les Paul playing with the Electric Flag. Many others followed suit after that...

Date: January 28, 2010 19:45

ChrisM
The Greek
Morning Greek. Keith was to the best of knowledge the first British rock star to play and use a Sunburst Les Paul but I don't think it was Keith who really started the craze for them. Rather, that distinction goes to Eric Clapton for it was he who first demonstrated the guitar's sonic and tonal capabilities on Mayall's Bluesbreakers album. Mike Bloomfield also deserves credit for starting the Sunburst boom with his Les Paul playing with the Electric Flag. Many others followed suit after that...
good afternoon ChrisM, thank you for the info .i to thought it was clapton from his time with the bluesbreakers that started the famous sunburst les paul thru the marshall jtm 45 ,i also remember about mike bloomfield having one also .man one of these days .i got to snap some nice digital pics of my pride and joy all eight of them (1971 black gibson les paul custom, gibson 57,and gibson 57 plus pickups ,1972 martin D-41,1982 korina gibson heritage flying V same pickups as above , 1991 cardinal red reverse gibson firebird V,1993 fender usa 57 two tone sunburst (alder)strat with fender fat 50 pickups (maple),1993 fender usa 52 butterscotch tele (ash)with fender texas special tele pickups(maple) 1994 gibson cherry sunburst les paul premium plus (AAA top,just like ace in kiss)with same pickups as above on the other gibsons except the firebird stock mini humbuckers that really scream that johnny winter tone.and last but not least 1998 aztec gold fender custom shop 1954(ash) fender strat with fender custom shop 50ties pickups gold hardware and birdseye maple neck thats(v shape) as big and thick as a baseball bat .anybody thats says a fat thick neck neck does not affect the tone on a fender well you know what i am talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 20:36 by The Greek.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 28, 2010 20:42

You mentioned your very impressive collection before as I recall. All I can say is wow! Do you post on the Les Paul Forum per chance? A few of us here, myself, Mathijs and His Majesty for example, do. Join the club if you haven't already! Les Paul Forum

Date: January 28, 2010 20:46

ChrisM
You mentioned your very impressive collection before as I recall. All I can say is wow! Do you post on the Les Paul Forum per chance? A few of us here, myself, Mathijs and His Majesty for example, do. Join the club if you haven't already! Les Paul Forum
ChrisM, thanks for the link .i have to check this forum out .i know i would love it .

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 28, 2010 21:56

Mathijs
Smokey

Gardiner Houlgate to Sell £100,000 Gibson Guitar
HISTORY OF THE 1959 GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD GUITAR
The vendor John Scates was already an experienced, road hardened veteran of several 60's bands when, in 1968, while performing with an in vogue blues band called Pegasus, he saw an advert in the Melody Maker for a Gibson Les Paul Standard. At the time this desirable yet discontinued model was becoming ever more difficult to get hold of. More in hope than anticipation, John called the number advertised and was surprised to find he was speaking to Mick Taylor, who had only recently taken over as guitarist with The Blues Breakers, replacing Peter Green and later to replace Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones. An appointment was made and John went to Mick's West London flat where he handed over £200 and left with the Les Paul. Although a receipt was made out this has subsequently been misplaced.
When John Scates viewed the guitar it was apparent that a Bigsby unit was taken off and replaced with a non-standard stop tail piece. This was later changed by John to a standard fitting, but the Mick Taylor tail piece is offered with the guitar. Otherwise the guitar was and still is original in all respects.
The rather battered case is a non-standard case but is the one that came with the guitar and has suffered countless gigs.
Pegasus, although not commercially successful, were a tight and musical blues outfit and they soon became the unofficial resident support band at the Marquee where John, wielding his beloved standard, supported bands such as Free; Paul Kossoff played John's standard and loved it so much he offered to trade for a black three pick-up Les Paul, the offer was declined. ...
The auction will take place at The Westbury Hotel in Mayfair, London, on Monday 5 October 2009. For further information contact Jamie South (Director) or Luke H

This is the story they tried to sell off to make the guitar legitimate. Various people then pointed out that after all, this was a stolen guitar that was reported as such, and the auction never took place.

Mathijs

OK, so the question then turns to Lightnin': if this is the case, why doesn't Taylor seek to recover this gem? (I presume he does not need to make a civil claim, but needs to go to the police.)

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: January 29, 2010 01:32

ChrisM
RollingStonesRob
Yes! That Es-355 was also shown in pictures in 1972 and possibly used on the tours in 1972 and 1973.
Care to share any pics of this?

I am glad you asked. I had to dig through the old posts.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: June 6, 2010 21:02

Lightnin'
Mathijs
I know of the the second Bigsby LP being stolen while on a train -that guitar was not a Gibson though. I would advice Taylor not to travel with guitar by train.

Mathijs

When you are a touring musician you have to go places. And when you arrive back at Heathrow or finish recording in a London studio it's not always at a civilised hour but you still need to get home somehow.

There is always a save place to sleep at an uncivilised hour for a touring musician.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 6, 2010 21:30

Keith has said during the current media tour on Exile release, that yes the guitars were stolen and that he recovered some of them back. The picture above of the 72' tour guitars shows the 59' custom and the Armstrong... probably the flying V was never recovered....Malcolm and Micawber are also up there, don't know if they were present when the thieves robbed the guitars. I was going to mention the other day that I didn't see that many teles and strats on Dominic's book and other photo documents at Keith's house in France... except for the living room photo with parsons and their ladies. Was Exile a more Gibson album?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 7, 2010 10:27

Would Gram Parsons have had an influence in Keith becoming associated with teles?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2010 16:44

Loudei
Keith has said during the current media tour on Exile release, that yes the guitars were stolen and that he recovered some of them back. The picture above of the 72' tour guitars shows the 59' custom and the Armstrong... probably the flying V was never recovered....Malcolm and Micawber are also up there, don't know if they were present when the thieves robbed the guitars. I was going to mention the other day that I didn't see that many teles and strats on Dominic's book and other photo documents at Keith's house in France... except for the living room photo with parsons and their ladies. Was Exile a more Gibson album?

The LP custom on this pic has a Bigsby, so it is not one of his two standard Custom's. The Armstrong pictures here is a late '71 version with Schaller tuners instead of Grovers. Keith has mentioned that he received new Armstrong guitars after the theft but that he hated them as they did not sound nor played as good as his originals.

The ES-355 could be the one from Nellcote though, that's unclear, as is unclear whether they had 1 or 2, as on some pics it looks the colour is brown, on other black.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home