Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Walk In The Park
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 14, 2010 15:13

One day the Stones got all dressed up in their best late-60s finery and went for a photoshoot in Hyde Park:

There were lots of photographers there:

Some shooting in black and white and at least one (now known to be Bill Orchard) in colour:

This one was definitely taken by Dezo Hoffman:

and this one is credited to Bill Orchard:

But there are others that I haven't seen credits for:

- and some that look as if they were taken that day, though not in the park:

(In the Dezo Hoffman shot you can see that Mick is wearing that colourful jacket under his outdoor coat).

The shoot is usually described as "late 1966" - very late, to judge by the leafless trees. The Daily Mail Unseen Archives book says it is May 1967, but that has to be wrong.

I love all the picture from this shoot: has anybody got any more from the Stones' walk in the park, or more exact credits/date?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-25 19:06 by Green Lady.

Re: A Walk In The Park
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 14, 2010 15:23

If I am not mistaken ,there are some more on the Gered Mankowitz book (I have to check ) but due to the heavy weight ,I willn't be able to scan some photos...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 14, 2010 16:29

I've always wondered if any of the boys ever saved any of their old clothes or stagewear.

I remember once posting an old pic of Chuck Berry wearing some "frilly" design shirt and CBII mentioned that his father still has that shirt.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: January 14, 2010 16:42

Hello,

Apparently, it wasn't Hyde Park but Green Park which, for those who know London town, is just across Hyde Park Corner from Hyde Park.

Looking at it, it could be either as there isn't enough background detail to enable this Londoner to make a fully informed decision. I've always read it described as Green Park, though.

Finally, I once went to a fancy-dress party as Brian Jones, inspired by his look in these photos. I was quite the dandy.

Declan

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 14, 2010 16:50

Edith Grove
I've always wondered if any of the boys ever saved any of their old clothes or stagewear.

I remember once posting an old pic of Chuck Berry wearing some "frilly" design shirt and CBII mentioned that his father still has that shirt.

I think their mums probably asked for them back pretty soon afterwards Edith!

Date: January 14, 2010 16:54

I think you're right, DD - there's another one here, by Brian Jackson:

[www.soniceditions.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2010 17:10

It's definitely Green Park, the buildings behind the bench they are sitting on are still there etc.

The date, 11th January 1967

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-14 17:13 by His Majesty.

Date: January 14, 2010 17:17

It is indeed Green Park, here's a 'then and now' shot....

Date: January 15, 2010 10:41

I think there is a shot from this session ? where all these photogs are in front of the band members who are looking at one photographer in particular...who is shooting from the side.
I used to own the book this was in. It's a very good pic.

Posted by: billorchard ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:15

Just to set the record straight, the COLOUR picture of the Rolling Stones, credited here to Dezo Hoffman, is in fact BILL ORCHARD'S picture, I know, because I took the picture.

The location is, Green Park and February 1967. The reason for this photo-shoot was to show The Stones in more trendy garb, prior to this, they had been labeled 'scruffy' in the press regarding their attire, so they were sent to Saville Row and told to get kitted out with more trendy gear, this is the result.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:22

Thanks Bill. It's interesting that Keith chose to wear a seabird of some sort...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:25

Munichhilton
Thanks Bill. It's interesting that Keith chose to wear a seabird of some sort...
... and spectacles

Posted by: billorchard ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:30

I have no idea why Keith chose to wear what he did, I think it was a case of, here's a box of accessories choose what you want, and he ended up with what he has.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:43

Winner: Brian.

Coolest looking Stone, at least until mid-1968,

Date: May 25, 2013 19:08

I love this board - you post a batch of shots from a favourite photoshoot and three years later a photographer shows up in person! Many thanks, Bill, for the background story.

TThe credit to Dezo Hoffman isn't for the colour picture above it (which I will now label as yours), but the black and white shot of Mick and Keith reading the newspaper below it. Is that yours too?

PS: your closeup of Brian in the white hat is a fantastic portrait!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 25, 2013 19:11

billorchard
Just to set the record straight, the COLOUR picture of the Rolling Stones, credited here to Dezo Hoffman, is in fact BILL ORCHARD'S picture, I know, because I took the picture.

The location is, Green Park and February 1967. The reason for this photo-shoot was to show The Stones in more trendy garb, prior to this, they had been labeled 'scruffy' in the press regarding their attire, so they were sent to Saville Row and told to get kitted out with more trendy gear, this is the result.

Just going by Mick Jagger who was all of 24 years old back then. Keith and Charlie about the same age. What a dent they had already made. Being 24 in 1967 was a lot more fun than being 24 years old in 2013

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 25, 2013 20:11

Manofwealthandtaste
It is indeed Green Park, here's a 'then and now' shot....

Nice find. Also found it using google maps.

[maps.google.com]

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 26, 2013 10:37

loog droog
Winner: Brian.

Coolest looking Stone, at least until mid-1968,

He sure was a fashionista! DD, bet you were a dandy at a dress-up party as Brian.
Cool collection of photos! Thanks for posting Green Lady.
The one of Green Park reminds me of a view from Central Park of 59th West in NYC. cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home