Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Fave Keith tone?
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 16, 2010 20:40

I really enjoyed discussing this but the tone of Keiths I really like is the Tele cranked thru those tweed twins. It's just beautiful. Nothing like a Fender amp cranked.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2010 21:05

I also have to throw in the sound he got on Exile songs like Rocks Off. More Fender-y and less crunchy but really, really cool.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 16, 2010 21:16

NickB
I really enjoyed discussing this but the tone of Keiths I really like is the Tele cranked thru those tweed twins. It's just beautiful. Nothing like a Fender amp cranked.

I have to agree, I really admire his recent live sound when in the open G setup... even though I'm not really a Tele OR a Fender amp guy myself--somehow he manages to be both clean and powerful at the same time, without being too twangy. Might have something to do with all the genius amp techs involved in tweaking his tone with EQ, outboard preamps, etc...

that said, keith's rebranding of himself as a meat & potatoes Fender guy was kind of disappointing, considering all the experimentation he did formerly. It's been nice in the past few years that he's shaken it up and started playing the semihollowbodies again, whatever his motivation was.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 16, 2010 23:02

Voodoo Lounge is the last time Keith captured the correct sound for me anyways.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2010 18:07

71Tele
I didn't know what I was starting here, but I have enjoyed the debate!

Mathjis, was KR using the Dan Armstrong yet when CYHMK was recorded?

Yep, he got it during rehearsels in the US for the '69 tour, late october or early November '69.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 18, 2010 10:20

Lee Perry's last work........... once there's a will ther is a way.........typical KR sound

And it was recorded last year
So KR has played guitar since august 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 10:59

uh, just listened to that song, what´s this??

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:34

I really like the tone on One Hit and It Won´t Take Long. It has a very special,sort of ringing quality. I don´t think I´ve ever heard that particular sound from someone else.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 6, 2010 07:45

This has been a really interesting discussion. I don't have the technical expertise to add much in the way of defining what it was or is that makes Keith sound like Keith. One thing for sure to my ears is the sound Keith and the band overall brought in 1969 hasn't been back. I said it then after the show I attended, and I will say it again. The heavy bottom sound they made was completely unique and it just sucked you in. It just shook you and made you want to move. Been to shows on every tour in North America from 69 on and four in Europe, and that unique Stones sound, as good as it was never equaled what I heard in 1969. For some reason the Chuck Berry numbers in 1969 just had this amazing tone. I lay it on the Ampeg amps they used on that tour.

Really, when all is said and done it is that sound Keith gets that brings us back to the concerts and the records. Pretty special and unique. I don't know about the rest of you, but at any given Stones concert, if Keith is up in the mix, the shows usually shine. When he isn't, well it just doesn't rock the same way.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 6, 2010 11:51

I read somewhere that they used all bass amps on the 69 tour, maybe this is why the sound from that tour is different.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: February 6, 2010 12:20

Best Live Sound for me was between 75 tour and 82 tour, cause of the ampeg and mesa boogie amps. Fantastic guitar sound. Worst was the Voodoo Lounge Tour. The guiatars are to low.

Best Studio sound Tatttoo You.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home