Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New 3 CD Album "DYLAN" coming out on 1st, October, 2007
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 12, 2007 22:44

This is a strange one. On October 1st, 2007 Bob Dylan is releasing a Definitive Retrospective with 51 of his most "Important Songs" on a 3 CD album set simply called "DYLAN". The weirdness comes in where they want fans to vote on the songs that should be included - [www.dylan07.com] - which means this box set could possibly be full of unreleased, live, and alternative takes if enough fans vote in those "special" versions/songs/"new ones". I'm not sure how much importance they're giving the "Fan Vote" but it could be a very interesting box set....or a very boring one. If you know any great unreleased or alternatve take songs that we can all vote on to make the box INTERESTING please leave the info in a comment here - thanks, HELTER.

OH, BTW, An 18 track, single disc "Best Of" is also coming out on that same day - didn't he put one (or 2 OR 3) like that out in the past already? I believe so.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-12 22:46 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: New 3 CD Album "DYLAN" coming out on 1st, October, 2007
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2007 22:49

still waiting for the "long" version if Highlands - Bob said the final song was considerably shorter than the way it started out. I want proof.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 12, 2007 22:50

18 track "Best of" seems silly to me - it's like a CD for people who don't like Bob Dylan - isn't it ?
3cd set could be interesting, maybe

Date: July 12, 2007 23:00

by the by - this isn't exactly a newsflash - think this "story" first broke a couple months back....

i think a 30-disc set would even be more interesting, Erik. you know - for the casual fan that just wants the essentials....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 12, 2007 23:10

30 disc set? As a volume 1 you mean? Yes that sounds like good idea

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 12, 2007 23:13

just hype... how can it be "definitive" before he's through recording new songs?

Date: July 13, 2007 00:36

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 30 disc set? As a volume 1 you mean? Yes that
> sounds like good idea

well - you know they can actually put about 30 of these (even more) on a single disc these days, but that's another matter altogether. i'm a little bummed that sony and bob haven't been more active with the bootleg series, frankly. there's still tons of great latent possibilities...

Date: July 13, 2007 00:38

The thing is he's already got best of Vol. I , Vol II, Vol III, + Essentials which is a 2 CD set + the first box set with was a mixture of released/non - released/alternative/live but could be considered as a weird best of and I do believe there might even be one more best of not mentioned above so the whole "BEST OF" concept is getting a bit worn out..... There's plenty more live shows/tours he could release, I'm sure there's tons of unreleased gems sitting around.... This is what the Doors are also kind of doing, releasing greatest hits over and over but at least in their case, since Morrison died, they don't have that much rare stuff left to release....Still, how many BEST OF does one act need?

Date: July 13, 2007 00:41

actually - the doors have released several great live shows from the archives over the past few years....through the bright midnight label.

Date: July 13, 2007 00:52

You bet, Have them all.... waiting for the Boston show in a few weeks..... Dylan's released a lot of great live shows through his "Bootleg Series" so why yet ANOTHER "best of"...it's getting to be OVER KILL.....

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:09

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> waiting for the Boston
> show in a few weeks.....

Me too. Release date 29th?

Dylan's released a lot of
> great live shows through his "Bootleg Series" so
> why yet ANOTHER "best of"...it's getting to be
> OVER KILL.....

Agree.

Date: July 13, 2007 01:17

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> You bet, Have them all.... waiting for the Boston
> show in a few weeks..... Dylan's released a lot of
> great live shows through his "Bootleg Series" so
> why yet ANOTHER "best of"...it's getting to be
> OVER KILL.....

i hear you - not much chance i'll be buying this and I'm a dylan fanatic. even his bootleg series has been a little disappointing from a pure collectors' perspective, inasmuch as two of the live releases, the '66 and '64 sets were already heavily booted in at least as good quality (66 boot was better, imo)...and the '75 one wasn't as good - performance- and completeness-wise as many of the fine boots from that tour....alas....

Date: July 13, 2007 06:07

i preferred when live in 66 was unreleased...cause i had a bunch of boots of it and its so amazing..i loved turning people on...

Posted by: Glamorous Nymph ()
Date: July 13, 2007 07:41

I think Helter said it best, there's too many "best of's" in the stores already. It's horrible, I recieved 3 different best of Dylan CD's on my last birthday - It's crazy !!!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: July 13, 2007 08:39

There is another version of abandoned Love out there I can never find

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 13, 2007 12:57

@ doubledoor
the version you mean is from the bitter end club, if you mean the life version you can find it on expectingrain.com, you have to click on the discussion button and then go to the rare recordings section, you will find a lot of unreleased and live stuff.

Dylan isn´t releasing this stuff, not the best of´s neither the bootleg series. It´s what the label and jeff rosen does.
He has also recorded another album after Modern Times, I haven´t forgotten the title but it has something to do with ...blue. Anyway, over the last years he always tells us that he doesn´t like recording or writing new stuff.
But I will also buy this 3CD-Box in Deluxe version with clothed bound book

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 13, 2007 13:08

It'll be interseting for sure and you can bet a lot of votes will go for the rare/live stuff, but the record company will undoubtedly live space for the hits.

I haven't read the first post properly, but according to the Sun newspaper, there will be an 18 track single CD edition too.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 13, 2007 13:15

They´re surely milking the shit out of the man´s catalouge. In addition to all the best of that has been mentioned here we have the Biograph box from 1985, later remastered. Can´t see the reason for all these official compilations at all, most people just downloads the songs they like anyway.

Date: July 13, 2007 13:25

If he would care for such compilations they wouldn´t do as much, but he doesn´t care and he doesn´t release an album each year or maybe one in two years. So, they´ll have to do such things to milk the cow. They also sell better than a Bootleg series release

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: July 13, 2007 15:49

I just received another great 3CD set from Bob.

Live at the Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam April 8 and 9 2007. Both shows on a triple !!

Great performance and superb audience recording packed with a nice 8 pages booklet. Highly recommended.

Date: July 13, 2007 16:21

sounds really great euro73

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home