Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Billy Preston 'That's Life' / 'Outta Space' 1975/1976
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2010 15:13

"I think Mick wised up after this Tour and gave it the flick

NO they did just before the Some Girls sessions. Keith couldn't stand the fact that Billy would pick up whatever embryonic riff he'd hear played by KR and in no time present the band with a fully arranged song. This annoyed Keith! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: January 14, 2010 15:23

Turd, good post, although I have to ask, why has the opinion of the '75 tour suffered in the Stones fan community? I myself only have a handful of shows from that tour, and they're all OK...

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 15, 2010 15:05

Eleanor Rigby
Turd On The Run
Even the Ron Wood replacement was at the time thought to be (in some circles) a fantastic coup because he gave the Stones a livelier, more party-ready stage presence. The days of the 'demonic' and 'dark' Stones were over...these were your new user-friendly, party-hardy Stones...ready to rock you, funk you, and shake your boots off!

I think in most circles it was Ronnie who ?
Fans don't like change and I for one didn't take Ron Wood on board as a Stone until way after the 81/82 Tour.

Turd On The Run
Also...not to forget..Billy Preston was in this period considered a legitimate star performer. He was the premier "sideman" of his era as well as a star in his own right. And the fact is he had more hit singles than the Stones in the 74-76 period. So it was kinda like a two-for-the-price-of-one deal...that is easy to overlook today...

You serious?
Why didn't the band hire another silly sideman and do the same thing in later tours?
I think Mick wised up after this Tour and gave it the flick.

Turd On The Run
So what today seems a cheesy and pointless interlude was, in the context of its time, somewhat of a gas...

yep a gas coming out my backside in the toilet while this was going on...

In most circles the Ronnie Wood replacement was not Ronnie WHo?, rather...wow! Woody was a star in his own right with the much-beloved Faces...and remember...he was thought of as a replacement for the '75 tour...at that point there was no talk of him replacing Taylor...Taylor's permanent replacement was a theme that most people were still discussing and Woody's appearance was thought of like a great favor by a good friend (and name musician), almost a reciprocal gesture to Keef after Keef sat in with the Faces - not to mention also Woody on a small British solo tour - on several shows in '74. So it was all cool, in-the-Rock-Royalty-Family type of stuff.

Most fans took Woody 'on board as a Stone' in 1978 after Some Girls came out and the following tour roared across the U.S.A. Not many fans really missed Talyor at that point - not 1978...that would come later...1978 was the year of the new spunkier, punkier, faster, sloppier Stones and Woody was a perfect fit...

...and the band didn't hire another 'silly sideman' in later tours (unless you count Chuck as a 'silly sideman' which many do!) because the time for that was past...been there and done that...move on...(which is what I hope the Stones do with Chuck if they ever tour again...)

StonesFanatic writes:

"Turd, good post, although I have to ask, why has the opinion of the '75 tour suffered in the Stones fan community? I myself only have a handful of shows from that tour, and they're all OK..."

Thanks...the reputation of the 1975 tour has suffered in retrospect (and that of the 1976 tour as well...actually the 1976 tour's reputation has suffered even more...I think the Stones were far tighter and more vicious on the '75 leg of the tour) because of the fact that the Stones' sheer musicality suffered in comparison with their previous live incarnations: Woody was no Mick Taylor, Jagger's singing was radically altered from the last time the Stones had visited the States in '72...his 1975/76 voice was often a bullfrog roar, his enunciation went to the dogs ("I'm Jumi Ja Fla, its a ga ga ga...!), he shouted a lot instead of singing, the voice lost all suppleness and subtlety, his look was that of an emaciated, long-haired, speed-freak marionette, and his dancing went from the androgynous prancing of yore to an über-effeminate stage affectation...not to mention Billy's keyboards were often intrusive and distracting (the point of this post...) and Keef was often in a freakin' horse fog...of course ALL of those points are made in retrospect...at the time I loved their look their sound and their aura...and despite all of the above comments they were still the Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world...the Titans..in fact, I still think the 1975 Stones are the coolest looking band that ever toured the planet...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 15, 2010 16:56

Turd I don't agree with your comments about Wood & Preston.

Ron Wood was no "star" in his own right in 1974/75, and Preston sure was no "legitimate star performer"...

The Stones made Wood a star, he hardly made himself a star with his guitar playing...and Preston singing songs was a mistake made by Jagger.

I will admit the audience of 1975/76 might have embraced the weird arrangement of Stones/Preston singing songs (I wasn't there), but find it hard to believe...

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 15, 2010 17:44

Eleanor Rigby
Turd I don't agree with your comments about Wood & Preston.

Ron Wood was no "star" in his own right in 1974/75, and Preston sure was no "legitimate star performer"...

The Stones made Wood a star, he hardly made himself a star with his guitar playing...and Preston singing songs was a mistake made by Jagger.

I will admit the audience of 1975/76 might have embraced the weird arrangement of Stones/Preston singing songs (I wasn't there), but find it hard to believe...

Eleanor, you write "Preston sure was no "legitimate star performer". Really? You are completely wrong. Do you have any clue who Billy Preston was in the 70's? For a start he was introduced to the rock audience by the Beatles in the 'Get Back' rooftop sessions and documentary. He also worked with them on Abbey Road. He was almost asked to join the Beatles and had a claim, late in their career, as being the '5th Beatle' (which I consider BS because if anyone was the 5th Beatle it was George Martin)...but I digress...have you heard of The Concert For Bangladesh? He was a featured performer. Then from 1972 to 1974 (before the Stones' 1975 Tour of The America's began) he had 4 top 5 hits, including 3 that went to number 1. He also won a Grammy. Billy Preston had more #1 hits than the Stones in that period...three times as many. Not to mention his dominant influence on the Stones albums spanning from Goat's Head Soup to Black and Blue. And you're telling me that Preston "sure was no 'legitimate star performer' "...if you had been alive and breathing in that period of time you would realize how utterly silly you sound...

As far as..."Wood was no 'star'in his own right"...given, he was no superstar, but anyone who dug music in those days knew Woody from the Faces...sure, his joining the Stones increased his profile exponentially, but anyone digging Rock and Roll in the early/mid-1970's knew Woody and ALL the Faces were 'stars'...fact.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: January 15, 2010 19:06

And don't forget before Faces Wood had a high-ish profile from playing bass in Beck's group

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 15, 2010 22:37

If you have to measure by the Rigby scale...Keith wasn't a "star" in '75 either...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-15 22:37 by loog droog.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home