Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
charlie watts in bad ischl
Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: January 12, 2010 11:55

charlies 2nd night:
here we go. yesterday charlie and his fellows played the 2nd and final gig in bad ischl. what can i say? of course it was an excellence performance again + special guest Jools Holland. as i already said for the first night, this guys really enjoy their playing and the crowd was in,again. but yesterday they seemed already a little bit tired after 4 shows in 5 days, in 4 differnt countries.
the setlist was also a little bit different to our pleasure, for example they played " route 66". the local tv station from my hometown made a report, i`ll post the link when available.
all in all, a dream came true, to see a rolling stone in person of charlie watts so close for 2 nights just around the corner. memories will last forever.
outside the theater i thanked ben waters for coming and for bringing together this a,b,c& d boogie woogie band.
charlie signed yesterday some stuff again, but not as much as the 1st night.
i was lucky for a 2nd time, charlie signed my record "still life" , which was my very first record of the stones back to 1982, when everything for me startet.

see you all again,....

charlies 1st night:

my day started with running at 5.a.m. in the morning to get our heads clear. thoughts have been rushing through our brains, charlie is coming, seeing stones friends again, will we get a signature from charlie, and so on.

i left work at 4 p.m. to drive to bad ischl, which is only 30 km from our hometown.
a short step in our stones measures, when i`m thinking of, that we had been already for example in california,montenegro,... to see charlie and the stones.

we left so early to get a good spot in front of charlie, but the first disappointment was, no entry till 06:30 p.m., then later on, no entry till 07:00 p.m.
at least, after freezing outside, we managed to take our place in front of charlie front row. everything was easy, no checks, no running, no pushing,like at stones gigs.

the location was named lehartheater, only about 400 people. it`s an old building, where already the austrian emperor in former times have been.

the show startet at 08:00 p.m., axel zwingenberger played piano alone, then came ben waters to support him on piano.
after 10-15 minutes it was time for mr.charlie watts and dave green to enter the stage, and since this time on, smiles from everybodies faces didn`t disappear.
charlie was such in a good mood, good condition and he really enjoyed to play this stuff, like boogie woogie, slow blues takes and rocking tunes from little richard, fats domino, jerry lee lewis,...

the crowd was singing, dancing, laughing and clapping hands all the time, in one word: a firework of good music and good mood

thanks mr ben waters, who made this kind of gigs possible, he was the founder of this combo.
the story was: axel zwingenberger made a television broadcasting about boogie woogie in great britain, and his backmusicians have been dave green and charlie watts.
many years later ben waters saw this film and he diceded to bring this group together again, and to play some gigs.

our personally highpoint was of course to get a signature on our record, to see charlie just 2-3 metres distance for 2,5 hours and to meet our austrian stones fellows, like engelbert and manuela, daniel,isabella and susanne again.

thanks to charlie,axel,ben and dave for such a pleasant night and we`re looking forward to see them on friday again.

christmas is still on.....

robert and claudia

p.s.:clip made by engelbert

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-20 18:10 by bv.

Re: symphaty for the drummer -charlie watts in bad ischl 11.1.10
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 12, 2010 12:25

That's AWESOME! Thanks for the report and the fantastic photos. Great that you enjoyed it. Charlie's such a class act.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 12, 2010 13:16

Very nice Robert and Claudia. Congratulations with the signature

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 14:06

Great review and pictures, thanks! Congratulations with the autograph - ya-ya's is surely the right record to be signed by Charlie.

To the drums - it is the same kit as in Prague, which means that it is not a local kit, but Charlie's. The painao is a different one though, that must be a local instrument.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 14:59 by Happy24.

Re: symphathy for the drummer -charlie watts in bad ischl 11.1.10
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 12, 2010 14:57

I've read in a drummers magazine interview before that as well as Gretsch kits, Charlie is a collector of Slingerland Radio Kings so I'm guessing this is one from his collection.

I must say I'm just a tad jealous!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: January 12, 2010 15:23

great pics, cogratulationsmileys with beer

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 12, 2010 15:30

Great pix and report, THANKS!
Great drummer, too. And he looks fit, smiling and tour happy. I hope it's contageous, and that Charlie's tour happy bug will be all over Ronnie soon.
Where's the Gretsch kit?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 12, 2010 15:39

Axel Z. said in a German interview that Charlie would play on his brothers' drums.
But I don't know whether it is this one.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 12, 2010 19:02

In Hamburg Charlie played T.Zwingenberger's drums, maybe he uses a different kit on that little tour. His shirt is nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 20:26 by windmelody.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 12, 2010 19:08

austrianstones
showday started with running at 5.a.m. in the morning to get our heads clear. thoughts have been rushing through our brains, charlie is coming, seeing stones friends again, will we get a signature from charlie, and so on.

i left work at 4 p.m. to drive to bad ischl, which is only 30 km from our hometown.
a short step in our stones measures, when i`m thinking of, that we had been already for example in california,montenegro,... to see charlie and the stones.

we left so early to get a good spot in front of charlie, but the first disappointment was, no entry till 06:30 p.m., then later on, no entry till 07:00 p.m.
at least, after freezing outside, we managed to take our place in front of charlie front row. everything was easy, no checks, no running, no pushing,like at stones gigs.

the location was named lehartheater, only about 400 people. it`s an old building, where already the austrian emperor in former times have been.

the show startet at 08:00 p.m., axel zwingenberger played piano alone, then came ben waters to support him on piano.
after 10-15 minutes it was time for mr.charlie watts and dave green to enter the stage, and since this time on, smiles from everybodies faces didn`t disappear.
charlie was such in a good mood, good condition and he really enjoyed to play this stuff, like boogie woogie, slow blues takes and rocking tunes from little richard, fats domino, jerry lee lewis,...

the crowd was singing, dancing, laughing and clapping hands all the time, in one word: a firework of good music and good mood

thanks mr ben waters, who made this kind of gigs possible, he was the founder of this combo.
the story was: axel zwingenberger made a television broadcasting about boogie woogie in great britain, and his backmusicians have been dave green and charlie watts.
many years later ben waters saw this film and he diceded to bring this group together again, and to play some gigs.

our personally highpoint was of course to get a signature on our record, to see charlie just 2-3 metres distance for 2,5 hours and to meet our austrian stones fellows, like engelbert and manuela, daniel,isabella and susanne again.

thanks to charlie,axel,ben and dave for such a pleasant night and we`re looking forward to see them on friday again.

christmas is still on.....

robert and claudia

p.s.:clip made by engelbert
Nice pics.....But a Shidoobee T-Shirt.....Ughhh.confused smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: January 12, 2010 19:14

I am happy to see Charlie looking so well and healthy. Looks like it was fun!thumbs up

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 12, 2010 20:00

my brother made some really cool photos too, you can see them here:
[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2010 20:54

Nice stuff. Thanks to both of you.

Date: January 12, 2010 21:14

it was nice to see charlie so close-up. it's funny, he seems so normal - on the big stones stage he seems unreachable. close, he is "just" a rather shy, elderly gentleman who enjoys playing the drums. personally, I get easily tired of boogie and mr zwingenberger is not my favourite guy either - but it was great to see charlie having fun doing what he is best at smiling smiley

Date: January 12, 2010 21:15

also, while he looks very well, but also his age really starts to show - still he manages to play a gig almost every night. very impressive smiling smiley

Date: January 13, 2010 04:53

This is fabulous! Thanks for the pics and review! It's so nice to see Charlie again!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 13, 2010 09:17

Well done Austrianstones.... isn't it nice watching Charlie like this?

Posted by: STONESat ()
Date: January 13, 2010 19:54

Here on Austrian TV:

[tvthek.orf.at]

Wolfgang

Date: January 13, 2010 20:16

STONESat
Here on Austrian TV:

[tvthek.orf.at]

Wolfgang

thx, I'm trying to put it on youtube in a bit smiling smiley
btw, there was also a longer segment on "bad ischl tv" I'm told - but it's not online.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 13, 2010 20:51

Lorenz
my brother made some really cool photos too, you can see them here:
[www.flickr.com]

This is a fantastic picture

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: January 13, 2010 21:01

Cool. I've never seen Charlie playing a Slingerland kit before.

Posted by: STONESat ()
Date: January 13, 2010 21:01

Lorenz, would you mind if I give a copy of this photo to Charly?

Wolfgang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-13 21:01 by STONESat.

Date: January 13, 2010 22:04

STONESat
Lorenz, would you mind if I give a copy of this photo to Charly?

Wolfgang

hi wolfgang, the photos are from my brother, but I'm sure he would be very honoured smiling smiley if you check the link above, there are more photos of charlie from my bro and they are also available in a better resolution smiling smiley perhaps you can quickly get in contact with me via email? it's in my profile. thanks!

Date: January 13, 2010 22:07

some more from my brother:

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 13, 2010 22:53

Great pictures. Thanks a lot

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: symphathy for the drummer -charlie watts in bad ischl 11.1.10winking smiley
Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: January 13, 2010 23:15

great pics, thanks !

i think they`v been made from ronnie side winking smiley

Re: symphathy for the drummer -charlie watts in bad ischl 11.1.10winking smiley
Date: January 13, 2010 23:19

austrianstones
great pics, thanks !

i think they`v been made from ronnie side winking smiley

yep, ronnie side, balcony grinning smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 14, 2010 00:07

Stonesat, you lucky guy seem to be in contact with the C of Boogie Woogie, great!

Posted by: longtallsally ()
Date: January 15, 2010 13:42

Does anybody know where the Hamburg thread is?

Sally

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 15, 2010 13:51

longtallsally
Does anybody know where the Hamburg thread is?

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home