Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I love "I Go Wild"
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 3, 2007 04:13

It seems to catch hell on here. I think both Mick and Keith are at the top of their game. It's great. If ya don't think so then ......... "Too Tough".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: I love "I Go Wild"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 3, 2007 05:19

I fully agree, Elmo. A classic rave-up, Stones-style. Bash & crash. Charlie sounds great on it (but doesn't he always?)

I'm thinking that Charlie's sound was achieved by putting his drums in a stairwell. That was Don Was' idea, correct?. Give ol' Charlie that John Bonham power and depth. I love it. I think this was the sound that Roy-Thomas Baker wanted to get from Charlie back on Ronnie's "Gimme Some Neck" LP, but didn't know how to accomplish it without studio FX.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: July 3, 2007 05:23

I Go Wild is one of the worst and most overrated songs they've ever done. It's the Stones attempt at a nauseating Bon Jovi-style song. The only thing Don Was gives Charlie is his Dirty Work sound.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 3, 2007 06:00

This should be have been the lead single from Voodoo Lounge. I completely agree with Elmo. I loved it during the Voodoo Lounge tour when Mick, Keith and Ron would walk together to the front of the stage near of end of song....just wailing away. Great song.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 3, 2007 06:09

This is one of the best and most underrated songs they have ever done. On VD it was a show stopper! And funny before I read Shawn 20's post I was recalling the way the guys moved to the front of the stage at the end and MICK led the guitar section. It was mesmerizing and they played on and on! Wish they were still going on and on. The sounds of those 2 open tuned guitars and Ronnie blew away stadiums night after night. I did 10 shows on that tour and it was killer every time. Bring it back! Elmo and Shawn20 must have been there. Cuz they know! Cheers!

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 3, 2007 06:41

Some may call this song "I Go Mild" but I've always loved the inspired lyrics and vocal delivery of "I Go Wild." Especially this part:

"Waitresses with broken noses, checkout girls striking poses, politicians' garish wives, with alcoholic c---s like knives."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 3, 2007 07:12

@#$%& me, man...Charlie's drumming in "I Go Wild" inspired me to pick up sticks. That right there is enough for me to validate this song as simply awesome.

I was, like, 14 or 15 when Voodoo Lounge came out...I saw the Stones perform at the MTV Music Awards and I was hooked for life...I was thinking

"LOOK AT THESE OLD GUYS @#$%& ROCK OUT! MICK IS INHUMAN! KEITH SHOULD BE DEAD BUT HE'S BOUNCING AROUND LIKE A 20 YEAR OLD! AND LOOK AT THE @#$%&' DRUMMER!! HE'S GOT A SUIT ON...HE LOOKS LIKE AN ACCOUNTANT BUT HE ROCKS!!!!"

When I saw the video for "I Go Wild" I HAD to buy a set of drumsticks, which I played around with obsessively (and still do) to this day.

Thanks for the inspiration, Charlie.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 3, 2007 07:13

A m e n smiling smiley

Date: July 3, 2007 09:02

i go wild for it!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 3, 2007 09:37

its my fav song on voodoo lounge
it also reminds me of the song off the undercover album tie you up the pain of love

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2007 09:40

I Go Wild when I love....That's pretty good to...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: July 3, 2007 09:58

I love that song. Keith's guitars are burning hot and Charlie's bass drum sounds sooooo good. Both Ronnie and Daryl shine on that song as well. The I Go Wild part where they all sing is amazing but the parts that leads to it is one of their Mick's best moments I think.

"And waitresses with broken noses
Checkout girls striking poses
And politicians garish wives
With alcoholic @#$%& like knives"

Great lyrics! They should defenitly bring this back. It would refresh the set a bit I think.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 3, 2007 10:22

I think the whole album is very underated. I've always loved it.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 3, 2007 10:48

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the whole album is very underated. I've
> always loved it.

I don't think VL is underrated at this board? And certainly not around the world as it is one of their top sellers ever (myaber lagging a little behind "Some Girls")

"I Go Wild" is a great song and the whole album is wonderfully paced (though I prefer the roughness of the alternate version in "Voddoo Brew")

"Too Tough" - on the other hand - is an underrated song from an underrated album ;-)

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: July 3, 2007 12:05

i like "i go wild" but i woulnd´t say neither that it is underrated, nor that it is the best song on VL! For me the best songs on VL are LIS and (the by many disliked) YGMR! But then comes IGW, together with other songs, like SWF, TMIU, TAT,....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 3, 2007 16:31

Didn't think I was the only one.

5string, I was at the show in Columbia, SC and the second Atlanta (real close to the stage - they put us on the big screen). Shawn20 may have been there too.

Great tour behind a great album.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 3, 2007 16:31

Love the song, but hate the live version! Sounds like Chuck is playing Keith's main riff during the verses, or at least drowning it out with a synth. Then again, it may have been tough for Keith to replicate that really, really overdriven guitar sound he got in the studio.

Keith the Beast is right - everybody really shines on this track. And the final verse is one of my favorite Mick vocals ever. Especially since half of it is about Ronnie!

Date: July 3, 2007 16:38

this one seems telepathically connected to my legs, hips etc. - i gotta move when i hear it! a very good song on a very good album

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: July 3, 2007 16:43

I find this song very overrated - or duly underrated depending - and incredibly simplistic in structure, some little stones-by-number exercice.

RS "rock" songs never used to be simplistic but instead with plenty of subtelties in the delivery,and also some nice structural twists that take the listener by surprise (from the 80s, She's So Cold is a good example, and also that RnR one on Dirty Work... can't remember the title now)

Date: July 3, 2007 16:45

Can't stand the chorus, but I love the sound, the groove and the verses.

Posted by: RainyEyes1 ()
Date: July 3, 2007 17:26

I love it too!

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: July 3, 2007 17:41

I love it - it has this nasty filhty taste in there - dirty guitars and vocals smiling smiley

and I love this part when they play it live and everybody except Charlie are singin' "I gooo wild!!!" and Keith's doing all those "huh!", "hah!" with such a feelin' - you know the only feeling this man can do !

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 3, 2007 18:08

LOVE IT! As usual,Elmo, you have EXCELLENT taste.

Date: July 3, 2007 18:25

added bonus: the superb Brand New Car comes immediately after.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2007 18:30

the singer not the bong Wrote:
> added bonus: the superb Brand New Car comes
> immediately after.

i didn't just "learn you" how to whine well it seems....

Date: July 3, 2007 18:33

sorry tod, liked BNC from the first time i heard it. (when i was but a wee lad of 8 or so - and thought that the tune actually was about a car!)

Date: July 3, 2007 18:35

er....it was a compliment....both songs are great - easily the two best on the album. and...uh....it's not about a car? why can't a car just be a car sometimes?

Date: July 3, 2007 18:37

StonesTod Wrote:
> er....it was a compliment....both songs are great
> - easily the two best on the album.
> and...uh....it's not about a car? why can't a car
> just be a car sometimes?

i know, i know.

by the way, moon is up is EDIT: the best on the album. get schooled!

yikes, grammar check: looks like i need some schooling myself!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-03 18:39 by the singer not the bong.

Date: July 3, 2007 18:38

too much "trash can" for my tastes on Moon.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 3, 2007 18:53

Yes - Moon Is Up is the highlight on Voodoo Lounge. Mick and his lyrics sound forced to me on I Go Wild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-03 18:56 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home