Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie Watts In Prague 10.01.2010 - Review (Pictures added)
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:23

So Charlie and the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie visited Prague yesterday and it was a very very special night for many reasons, especially for me.

I entered the theatre and the first nice surprise was that in the foyer I could buy a CD "The magic of Boogie Woogie" by Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger and Dave Green. Cool. Then I enered the auditorium. I had a ticket at the center of the third row. The guy at the entrance told me there were no rows 1 and 2, so I ended up in the very centre of the first row (okay, the guy next to me was in the very centre :-) ). I sat down and realized that next to the guy next to me there was some Polish guy who had the CD signed by Charlie. I asked him how he managed to get it and he said that the man who was selling the CDs took some of them, disappeared backstage and then returned with signed ones. I have to admit I was jealous, but since the show was about to start, I stayed at my seat...

The show started and what a show it was. I have to admit I din't konw much about boogie woogie and came there mainly to see and hear Charlie. I was concentrating on him and his drums at the beginning, but the music grew on me very fast and soon I couldn't sit still and was sort of "jumping" in my seat. The guys were all just brilliant, the pianoplayers and the bassplayer were true virtuosos and Charlie was...Charlie - having obviously great great fun, smiling all the time, his playing was absolutely flawless. I could see there were some...how to say it...musical jokes going on in between the players every now and then. It was just such a pleasure to watch those guys having so much fun doing just "casually" things that very very few people would be capable of . I was taking some pictures and eventhough I have quite a simple camera, from the first row I made some very nice shots.

Anyway, on with the show...There was a break after about an hour and there was Axel in the foyer signing the CDs, so I got my one signed and I asked him whether Mr. Watts was also comming. He smiled and said...no. Okay, so I went back and enjoyed another splendid 1,5 hour of great music.

Soon it was all over. The final bow. Me and the guy next to me wave at Charlie with the booklets. Charlie nods at me. Another bow. Charlie makes a litle gesture towards me whether I have a pen. I show him the pen, he comes, signs my booklet and the booklet of the other guy. I only have time to say: "Thank you so much. I am looking forward to seeing you the next year with the Rolling Stones here in Prague." Charlie smiles at me, some other people try to hand him their CDs, but Charle is already on his way to the dressing room. It was a couple of seconds. I still can't believe it.

Thank you Mr. Watts, Thank you Mr. Zwingenberger, thank you Mr. Green, Thank you Mr. Waters for an unbelievable night that I will never forget.

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-21 15:24 by Happy24.

Re: Charlie Watts In Prague 10.01.2010 - Review
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:29

Thanks for the review !

I don't think you need analbum on internet to be able to share your photos.I always put mine on an USB key ,then I use photoshack to post them on the board.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 11, 2010 12:33

SwayStones, thanks for the advice, but would please be more specific - what is the photoshack and how do you do it? Pardon my ignorance, but I have never posted photos on-line before :-) In the message dialog it only allows me to enter the image URL, which means I have to have the picture on-line already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 12:34 by Happy24.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:43

Happy24
So Charlie and the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie visited Prague yesterday and it was a very very special night for many reasons, especially for me. I was "circling" around the theatre about an hour before the show, hoping to catch Charlie, but wasn't lucky. But that was the only time I wasn't extremely lucky...

I entered the theatre and the first nice surprise was that in the foyer I could buy a CD "The magic of Boogie Woogie" by Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger and Dave Green. Cool. Then I enered the auditorium. I had a ticket at the center of the third row. The guy at the entrance told me there were no rows 1 and 2, so I ended up in the very centre of the first row (okay, the guy next to me was in the very centre :-) ). I sat down and realized that next to the guy next to me there was some Polish guy who had the CD signed by Charlie. I asked him how he managed to get it and he said that the man who was selling the CDs took some of them, diappeared backstage and then returned with signed ones. I have to admit I was jealous, but since the show was about to start, I stayed at my seat...

The show started and what a show it was. I have to admit I din't konw much abou boogie woogie and came there maily to see and hear Charlie. I was concentrating on him and his drums at the beginning, but the music grew on me very fast and soon I coldn't sit still and was sort of "jumping" in my seat. The guys were all just brilliant, the pianoplayers and the bassplayer were true virtuosos and Charlie was...Charlie - having obviously great great fun, smiling all the time, his playing was absolutely flawless. I could see there were some...how to say it...musical jokes going on in between the players every now and then. It was just such a pleasure to watch those guys having so much fun doing just "casually" things that very very few people would be capable of . I was taking some pictures an eventhough I have quite a simple camera, from the first row I made some very nice shots. I don't have any album on the internet and since I think that it is impossible to post them here directly, I don't know how to share them here. Any advices?

Anyway, on with the show...There was a break after about an hour and there was Alex in the foyer signing the CDs, so I got my one signed and I asked him whether Mr. Watts was also comming. He smiled and said...no. Okay, so I went back and enjoyed another splendid 1,5 hour of great music.

Soon it was all over. The final bow. Me and the guy next to me wave at Charlie with the booklets. Charlie nods at me. Another bow. Charlie makes a litle gesture towards me whether I have a pen. I show him the pen, he comes, signs my booklet and the booklet of the other guy. I only have time to say: "Thank you so much. I am looking forward to seeing you the next year with the Rolling Stones here in Prague." Charlie smiles at me, some other people try to hand him their CDs, but Charle is already on his way to the dressing room. It was a couple of seconds. I still can't believe it.

Thank you Mr. Watts, Thank you Mr. Zwingenberger, thank you Mr. Green, Thank you Mr. Waters for an unbelievable night that I will never forget.
Hi, do you have pictures? We would love see pictures. All the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 12:44 by carlostones10.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 11, 2010 12:50

Happy ,you can log here :

[imageshack.us]

Use the third link/code to copy & paste the image .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 11, 2010 14:03

I just read that Charlie Watts has arrived in Austria, and that there will be a press conference in Bad Ischl , hopefully we will find reports about it here, and I hope that there will be an album by the ABC&D of Boogie Woogie.

Re: Charlie Watts In Prague 10.01.2010 - Review (Pictures added)
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2010 14:59

Great pix and review. Thanks for sharing them.

Date: January 11, 2010 15:07

You're wellcome, I am happy I managed to add the pictures. Thanks for help SwayStones

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:12

great, thanks for the pics they are awesome!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:14

Happy! SIMPLY STUNNING! Wow! you really had an incredible experience, and very unique to see Charlie really swinging. Thanks for sharing! The pics are fantastic. What kind of camera are you using?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:23

These pics are awesome, thankyou!

Date: January 11, 2010 15:24

Charlie NOT on a Gretsch! Last time I saw that was on a NYC 69 shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 15:25 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 11, 2010 15:26

whitem8
What kind of camera are you using?

3 years old Olympus FE-180, 6 megapixels. Really simple camera that I carry around in my pocket. I was surprised how good the pictures turned out to be. I never take my camera to concerts with me, this was actually the very first time I took pictures at a concert and...not bad.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:28

Thanks for the report and the pics. That's one beautiful set of drums. So cool that he signed your booklet. Congrats!!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:28

Thank you very much for the review and pictures.
You are such a lucky person (I guess you're happy 24 hours a day).
Good to see Charlie in such high spirits. Would love to hear some more of the boogie men.

Date: January 11, 2010 15:31

Palace Revolution 2000

This is a total speculation, but I was thinking that maybe Charlie doesn't travell with his drum kit and uses a local one. The thing is that I've heard that there were two great local pianos moved into the theatre fot this concert, which means that Axel and Ben don't play their own instruments. It is of course much simplier to transport a drum kit than a piano. So I don't know. We will see when we see pictures from other shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 12:56 by Happy24.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:32

thank you for posting these great pictures of Charlie (and Dave Green) and for your review.

Date: January 11, 2010 15:33

marcovandereijk
Would love to hear some more of the boogie men.

Yeap, the only let-down of the show was that it was too short smiling smiley Those almost 3 hours(!) (inc. a break) were gone in no time.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 11, 2010 15:36

Great. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 11, 2010 17:28

is that CD available at shows only? is it too new to be generally available..?

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: January 11, 2010 17:36

Thanks for the review and great pictures.

Could you give some more details about the CD and its contents?

N

Date: January 11, 2010 19:18

Happy24
Palace Revolution 2000

This is a total speculation, but I was thinking that maybe Charlie doesn't travell with his drum kit and uses a local one. The thing is that I've heard that there were two great local pianos moved into the theatre fot this concert, which means that Axel and Ben don't play their own instruments. It is of course much simplier to transport a drum kit than a piano. So I don't know. We will se when we see pictures from other shows.

Good points Happy. Now I am seeing that it is a different set-up from his rock-kit. The kick drum is a lot bigger, the ride has rivets on it, no China crash (Thank You), more cymbals (I think). One thing I had never really checked out is if he always has the tom on it's own stand, or if it is on a rack mounted on the kick. Early on it seems that it was mounted, but I only had one book handy; in it as early as 69, and then 78 and 81 the tom is already on it's own stand.

Date: January 11, 2010 21:39

Palace Revolution 2000
Happy24
Palace Revolution 2000

This is a total speculation, but I was thinking that maybe Charlie doesn't travell with his drum kit and uses a local one. The thing is that I've heard that there were two great local pianos moved into the theatre fot this concert, which means that Axel and Ben don't play their own instruments. It is of course much simplier to transport a drum kit than a piano. So I don't know. We will se when we see pictures from other shows.

Good points Happy. Now I am seeing that it is a different set-up from his rock-kit. The kick drum is a lot bigger, the ride has rivets on it, no China crash (Thank You), more cymbals (I think). One thing I had never really checked out is if he always has the tom on it's own stand, or if it is on a rack mounted on the kick. Early on it seems that it was mounted, but I only had one book handy; in it as early as 69, and then 78 and 81 the tom is already on it's own stand.

the larger ride cymbal has rivets.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 11, 2010 21:43

Thank you

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: January 11, 2010 22:09

Great to see Charlie looking so relaxed, healthy and happy. Thanks for posting the review and the pictures.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2010 22:12

thanks - setlist?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 11, 2010 22:57

Happy24, thanks for the photos and the review!
Congrats on getting the signatures too, very good.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:53

Yes, please let us know more about the CD and how to get it. Thanks.

Date: January 12, 2010 09:34

I will post the CD cover later today. It says it was released 2010, so it is brand new and I guess it will be available in stores too soon.

I can't help with the setlist much though, I din't know most of the numbers. I remember they played Down the Raod a Piece, some Lerry Lee's stuff, Kansas City, Suitcase Blues. These I recognised or were introduces (Scool smiley. They played for about 2,5 hour + brake - some 3 hours in total.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:14

Happy24
It says it was released 2010, so it is brand new and I guess it will be available in stores too soon.

Thanks for sharing your report and photos!
Do you know which record company has released this cd?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home