Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Led Zep to get together for the 56th time
Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: June 25, 2007 21:18

I got this from Rocksoff. We've heard it a million time before, and here we go again!

06/25/07
11:30:00, StarPulse.com
Led Zeppelin To Reunite

Rock legends Led Zeppelin will reportedly reunite for a one-off memorial concert in honor of their late record boss before embarking on a world tour. The Whole Lotta Love hitmakers have only performed a handful of concerts, including Live Aid in 1985, since their split in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham.

But singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones will re-group alongside Bonham's son Jason for a special concert in memory of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun in London.

A source says, "Page, Plant and Jones spoke and agreed to do the memorial concert. They are waiting for a definite date.

"And no-one can quite believe it, but during discussions about the concert they all gave the green light to a tour if it all does well and they don't all fall out.

"It has been hoped-for and denied for years. But this is the closest they have ever come to a reunion tour. The feeling is that this is going to happen next year."

Ertegun died in December after seven weeks in a coma following a fall at a Rolling Stones concert.

Re: Led Zep to get together for the 56th time
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 25, 2007 21:31

A Led Zep reunion WITH John Paul Jones happened only a couple of times. It's quite unique actually.

Mathijs

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: June 25, 2007 21:37

I don't know, I've read these news stories for years and for a while was hopful, but I just don't believe it will happen. Really wish it would, though.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 25, 2007 23:16

i'll believe it when i see it!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 26, 2007 01:44

Somehow I feel like this could really happen. They are getting to that age of "Now or Never" and as was mentioned in another thread, the other day, there are PLENTY of great songs they never tried to perform live. I think it just might happen, we'll see....

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 26, 2007 01:52

Jason Bonham is at the moment the drummer for Foreigner. But if he join the 3 living Led Zeppelin members for a concert tour, than I must see them live!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 26, 2007 01:58

I'll start going to church now and pray for 2-4 tickets.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 26, 2007 02:06

Make of it what you want, but at the Ertegun tribute in New York in April, Plant and Jones attened, but Page did not. In looking on Wireimage.com, you can see photos of Plant and Jones, but none in which they are photographed together.

While they obviously hed respect for Ertegun, and could possibly reunite for a one off tribute concert to Ertegun, I can't see that being enough reason to reunite for a full tour. Plant just doesn't have the interest in doing it and keeping himself busy with solo projects and tours and does not appear to be short of cash.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: June 26, 2007 02:09

Michael Cohl will make them an offer they can't refuse...

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 26, 2007 02:19

Love it to happen, but I still have my doubts.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 26, 2007 03:23

Like all of you, I am skeptical and not counting on this. While I too would welcome it, one would think there might be more talk of this online, besides this one "starpulse.com" article. It says at the bottom that the story was provided by the 'World Entertainment News Network'. Even the Police reunion made CNN... When I see a LZ reunion on CNN or RS.com or even any other sources besides that one odd website I've never heard of, I'll take it seriously...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2007 03:33

There is no way Jason Bonham could do justice to "Hot Dog"...

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 26, 2007 04:16

Ladykiller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason Bonham is at the moment the drummer for
> Foreigner. But if he join the 3 living Led
> Zeppelin members for a concert tour, than I must
> see them live!

which are on the county fair circuit......

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 26, 2007 06:30

Probably only wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Plant would never go for it. The best we can hope for is Page, Jones and Bonham getting together and doing Zep songs with another singer (Chris Robinson? Johnny Lang?). Which would be cool, as long as they didn't call the band Led Zeppelin.

Date: June 26, 2007 06:40

loog droog Wrote:
> There is no way Jason Bonham could do justice to
> "Hot Dog"...

BETTER IDEA - don't play HOT DOG (I KNOW you were just joking loog droog but let's not get any scary idea's started - knock on wood, sign of the cross, all that stuff)

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:32

I have to agree with Tate on this one......I've been checking any and every source on the internet, and I just find the exact same story from "smaller" sources, NOT from CNN, RS, FOX, etc. This might just be the next in a series of rumours.

On the other hand, I sure wish it was true. Ticket prices would be unGodly. The demand for tickets would be something along the lines of folks who wanted to see the Stones in NYC for the two shows in 1972. Didn't they do some kind of lottery, where you mailed your request in to a post office box, etc.? But, those were the days when we didn't have about 100 ticket broker businesses out there.

My only chance to go would be to somehow find a couple of tickets at face value, which would still be about $150 each or lots more. Once the show sold out and you were at the mercy of the ticket brokers, plan on going for a second mortgage on your house to see the show.

And a final thought on that.....how many of those higher notes can Plant hit now?
What do you think they would have in the category of "extra musicians?" (In other words, who would be Chuck, Blondie, etc.?)

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:45

Your already getting wound up about ticket prices!!

Superb....

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:51

>And a final thought on that.....how many of those higher notes can Plant hit now? <

No way. But I went to a Plant concert about two years ago, and his voice was surprisingly powerful and still exciting. But anyone expecting some of those high notes would be disappointed. They also have to change, for some songs, either the key they play it in, or they reharmonize Plant's melody line to the chord (eg. No Quarter, Friends, from the No Quarter DVD or CD)

>What do you think they would have in the category of "extra musicians?" <

Here I actually wished they would again do like the No Quarter project (Egyptian strings, hurdy gurdy, etc.), at least for a part of the set. I personnaly am not that crazy about some of the things Led Zeppelin did live on stage, as I hear it today, and think some of that could be improved with a little extra help.

Date: June 26, 2007 16:02

Yeah, good point.

I could see them having a second guitarist to flesh out the overall sound, as well as someone on keyboards (so JPJ doesn't have to go running back in forth between instruments as much, although I still see him playing a wide variety of things on stage, including mandolin, etc.).

In my mind, it would necessary for one or both of those two extra musicians to be able to hit some high vocal notes, either in harmony or, on occasional spots, lead vocals.

Bringing the keys down would also be a must. Seen Elton lately? Every song has been brought down a couple of notches with the key.

Hey, all of this is fun to speculate about, but, again, I'll be surprised if it happens. Guess we can hope..... done right, it could be a great show.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 26, 2007 16:07

goinhome Wrote:
> Michael Cohl will make them an offer they can't
> refuse...

Hot seat packages,commemorative lanyards,P;ant & Page bobble head dolls,
fan club 'gifts' that never arrive....etc, etc

Date: June 26, 2007 17:12

Mongoose Wrote:
> Yeah, good point.
>
> I could see them having a second guitarist to
> flesh out the overall sound, as well as someone on
> keyboards (so JPJ doesn't have to go running back
> in forth between instruments as much, although I
> still see him playing a wide variety of things on
> stage, including mandolin, etc.).
>
> In my mind, it would necessary for one or both of
> those two extra musicians to be able to hit some
> high vocal notes, either in harmony or, on
> occasional spots, lead vocals.
>
> Bringing the keys down would also be a must. Seen
> Elton lately? Every song has been brought down a
> couple of notches with the key.
>
> Hey, all of this is fun to speculate about, but,
> again, I'll be surprised if it happens. Guess we
> can hope..... done right, it could be a great
> show.

Get Ann and Nancy Wilson from HEART to be the back up singers, they would blend perfectly and do a mean Zeppelin. Plus they are such big fans I think they would jump on board in a second. The other "Extra" musician's can come from PLANT'S band (since he's always doing Zep songs anyway) - there, problems solved - LET'S ROCK AND ROLL !!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:14

Lotta, Stairway, same old warhorses.....

I'd pay good money to see this.

All at once everybody else says: "Duh, no shit, Sherlock"!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 26, 2007 19:13

The danger is that Zep haven't been around to evolve into something slightly different like the Stones have.
They might be perceived as just an old burnt out attempt at being what they were...or as something too different to what they were to satisfy expectations.
I can certainly understand any reluctance to jeopordise such a great legacy.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 26, 2007 19:27

I saw Robert Plant several times solo since 1993 and I loved it each time. He has his own musical universe, which I appreciate and respect.
But it is nothing compared to the power of a Page/Plant show, especially during the 98 tour. They played in a restricted lineup and it rocked !!!

I don't know if musically it would be any better with Jason Bonham and JPJ, with all due respect. Of course I could claim having seen a band called Led Zep instead of Page and Plant, but would it be worth the price ?

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 26, 2007 19:47

I never saw LZ or Page/Plant, but listening to the LZ live stuf,f the limits of one guitar are apparent.

If they tour, they should add another guitar.

Did Page Plant have a 2nd guitar with them?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 26, 2007 20:02

deadegad Wrote:
> I never saw LZ or Page/Plant, but listening to the
> LZ live stuf,f the limits of one guitar are
> apparent.
>
> If they tour, they should add another guitar.
>
> Did Page Plant have a 2nd guitar with them?

Nope, just a bass player and a drummer.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 26, 2007 20:02

I saw Zep many many times and no second guitar necessary, at least back then. I'm sure Pagey could use a helping hand now.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2007 20:23

Blondie?

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 26, 2007 21:28

I have two things to offer on this topic.

1. I don't know how 100% totally accurate this information truly is, but a friend of mine worked for Atlantic records during the Page/Plant reunion era, and he maintains that Page hurt his back late in the last Page/Plant tours, and then aggravated it again when he was on tour with the Black Crowes (which you may remember news reports said the reason the tour dates were cancelled was because of his back). And that basically the unofficial word around the hallways at Atlantic was that Page was pretty much done, as far as live touring is concerned. That the gist of it was that he would probably love to play with those guys, get together with Plant and Jones musically somehow and do something, but he really does not want to do a big long arduous tour going all over the place.

Which, if you look at Page's history since cancelling that Black Crowes tour in 2000, Page has pretty much only done the kind of "jump up and play" gigs that are guest appearances, one-offs, sitting in, short five-song sets, etc. And he does a lot of showing up at awards shows in a tuxedo, a lot of charity work, and of course he's been going back through the Zeppelin live tapes catalog releasing the DVDs and "How The West Was Won" in the years since 2000. But has he gone out and done any massive two-year-long, 250-date, 16-country tours playing two hours onstage a night, since he hurt his back? NO. It kinda makes sense.

2. In more reliable and recent information, I know someone who ran into Plant in New Orleans earlier this year. Basically spotted him bopping around shops in the French Quarter, and for a few minutes was able to ask questions and quiz him about what was going on. And Plant said that basically, he has this really young girlfriend now, who is in her 20s, and she wasn't even alive when Zeppelin were at their biggest. And Plant was joking about how she watched some DVDs with him one night and how she didn't like Zeppelin's music, it was too dark, it was a noisy racket, etc etc. So in one sense, it looks like he doesn't really want to go back there, and it shows in a lot of the interviews he's done, where he just totally slags off the idea of going back and doing the Zeppelin thing like it was 1975 again. And as far as this year goes, he's got new albums coming out and tours in the works and doesn't show any sign of being interested in going out and doing a Zeppelin oldies tour.

Date: June 26, 2007 22:29

Thanks, Gold, that was some great info.

I'm one of those folks hoping for a Plant USA tour in 2007-2008. Think we'll hear of anything before the end of the summer?

I also think Plant and Jones should put their heads together and record some new stuff.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home