Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Daily Mail - NO Stones tour for 2010- official stones statement
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 5, 2010 15:42

Gazza
DeliveranceStraightwayHoliness
I don't think that Ronnie can be to blame. If the Stones really had in my mind to tour, there is just no way that Ron Wood's little escapades would have mattered to that monster juggernaut.

The Stones WERE planning a tour.

You seriously think Ronnie's antics haven't created some problems?

Only thing it's created is publicity. The tours Mick scheduled in the '70's when Keith was drooling on himself were a lot tougher to pull off than Ronnie Wood running around at bars. They had to get the secret service to supply them with smack because Toyota had too much money at stake, and they couldn't afford a bust with Keith trying to score on the street for the '75 tour. This whole thing is like kindergarten compared to that.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 5, 2010 15:48

interesting..where did the info about the secret service supplying them come from?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 5, 2010 15:49

Gazza
The Greek
StonesTod
assuming the story is credible, i think the ronnie issue is a convenient excuse, as i don't even think he represents the biggest liability for this act...
i agree with you . i think jagger/cohl read the tea leaves with the global economy in a mess and they said not the right time to tour .

A ten year old could have told them that the global economy has been in a mess for a couple of years now.

They had planned a tour and now, so it appears, they're not planning one. I dont think the economy is a significant issue all of a sudden.

Anyway, the economy is only an issue if they're still planning on bleeding their fans and promoters white with stupidly high guarantees and ticket prices. Plenty of other acts manage to tour quite successfully.

Jagger's wealth slipped by 16 percent to 190 million pounds after the economic crisis in 2008.
I can't believe he won't take the economy into account

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:02

Silver Dagger
Maybe they don't have enough decent quality new material for a tour. They certainly wouldn't tour on the back of the Exile re-release. If they hold back any longer all we're going to get is the sit down unplugged tour - which might not be a bad thing.

Like that bothered them for A Bigger Bang's tour. They ignored the good songs on the album and played the crap songs for the most part. So that throws quality issue of new material out the window.

And why would they tour on the reissue of an album? That would be a nostalgia tour!

Er, well, OK - a very focused nostalgia tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:03

SwayStones
Gazza
The Greek
StonesTod
assuming the story is credible, i think the ronnie issue is a convenient excuse, as i don't even think he represents the biggest liability for this act...
i agree with you . i think jagger/cohl read the tea leaves with the global economy in a mess and they said not the right time to tour .

A ten year old could have told them that the global economy has been in a mess for a couple of years now.

They had planned a tour and now, so it appears, they're not planning one. I dont think the economy is a significant issue all of a sudden.

Anyway, the economy is only an issue if they're still planning on bleeding their fans and promoters white with stupidly high guarantees and ticket prices. Plenty of other acts manage to tour quite successfully.

Jagger's wealth slipped by 16 percent to 190 million pounds after the economic crisis in 2008.
I can't believe he won't take the economy into account

I cant believe you typed that with a straight face....LOL

Anyway, those figures are speculative. And 2008 wasn't yesterday. They've been planning to tour AFTER that.

A lot easier to recoup that money with a tour with prices everyone can afford than a tour where you price yourselves out of the market

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:05

Gazza
.I cant believe you typed that with a straight face....LOL

What do you mean by "straight " ? You want to know if I was serious ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

duke richardson
interesting..where did the info about the secret service supplying them come from?

Common knowledge, Duke. Been mentioned in several books.

Brue gave a good example, but theres far more money at stake now than there was then.

Posted by: StonesTod ()

one word: arthritis

Date: January 5, 2010 16:08

Silver Dagger
Who does the band's UK publicity these days? Is it Laister Dickson / LD Publicity?

Bernard Doherty used to work for LD. Not sure he still does. He's usually responsible for their UK press releases, though. He certainly spoke to the press after the 'Charlie quits' rumour. Fran Curtis from Rogers & Cowan does a lot of their press releases too, although she's based in Connecticut.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:12

To be honest, I think that press statement was merely an attempt to stop the media from posting assumptions and rumors. If they still plan a tour (which I hope), they can announce it around April and everyone will have forgotten about what happened now. Also, perhaps this gives Ronnie some time to recover in "peace". I can't imagine that they planned a tour and called it off now just because of Ronnie (they long knew about his situation anyway). What just really bothers me is that everything they do is milking the cash cow with the least possible involvement and that speaks a lot about how motivated they are to produce something that would actually help their legacy.

Date: January 5, 2010 16:14

Gazza
duke richardson

Brue gave a good example, but theres far more money at stake now than there was then.

which books? I'll read them, I need to refresh my Stones history! thanks, Gazza.

kind of a 'too big to fail' thing, and yeah there's far more money at stake now.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:25

Ket
Stll no other news source picking up this story that I can see. This is a bit strange, I'm really wondering how 'official ' this is. But on the other hand there is no 'official ' denial either from the stones camp, hmmm

The Rolling Stones: 'We're not playing 2010 Glastonbury festival'
Band announce they 'won't be touring this year'
[www.nme.com]

Date: January 5, 2010 16:30

duke richardson
Gazza
duke richardson

which books? I'll read them, I need to refresh my Stones history! thanks, Gazza.

kind of a 'too big to fail' thing, and yeah there's far more money at stake now.

LOL...off the top of my head, I cant remember. Probably in some of the more salacious books for sure. Maybe the ones that would cover the excesses of the 70s in some detail!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:44

pgarof
Ket
Stll no other news source picking up this story that I can see. This is a bit strange, I'm really wondering how 'official ' this is. But on the other hand there is no 'official ' denial either from the stones camp, hmmm

The Rolling Stones: 'We're not playing 2010 Glastonbury festival'
[www.nme.com]

Thanks, I missed looking in NME, well it does look like the story is legit, damn what a drag.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 5, 2010 16:46

NME News

Rolling Stones: 'We're not playing 2010 Glastonbury festival'

January 5, 2010 | The Rolling Stones have declared that they will not be playing
at the Glastonbury festival this year, following rumours that they were set for
a headline slot.

The band addressed the issue directly, saying that the festival rumours were
false and that they would not be touring at all in 2010.

"Following recent UK media speculation, The Rolling Stones would like to make it
clear there are no plans at the moment for the band to tour in 2010,"
a spokesperson for the band told NME.COM.

Meanwhile, the band are set to release a reissue of their 1972 classic
'Exile On Main Street' in May featuring a host of unreleased songs
including 'Plunder My Soul', 'Following The River' and 'Sophia Loren'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 16:48 by TooTough.

Date: January 5, 2010 17:21

>>Probably in some of the more salacious books for sure.<<

ah, this is intriguing. help, please? I'll search it out, but if anyone can cite book titles that have this episode, of Secret Service people supplying Keith with heroin, much appreciated

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 5, 2010 17:38

duke richardson
>>Probably in some of the more salacious books for sure.<<

ah, this is intriguing. help, please? I'll search it out, but if anyone can cite book titles that have this episode, of Secret Service people supplying Keith with heroin, much appreciated

"Up & Down With The Rolling Stones" by Tony Sanchez. That's the only source I've seen it in and Sanchez's credibility I would put at about 50/50.

Date: January 5, 2010 17:47

hmmm..

well 'grain of salt' I guess...
thanks, and btw I'm a fan of yours!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 5, 2010 18:02

I find NME always quite serious

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 5, 2010 18:17

... a spokesperson for the band told NME.COM ...
"A spokesperson for the band" sounds rather official to me, but "told NME.COM" makes it sound that NME had some sort of exclusive, which I really doubt.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:09

thank you duke.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:12

Why all this fuss about Dailymail?

No one else has this story. If this was any true - the story would have hit other press sources as well.

Date: January 5, 2010 19:13

It has. The NME. Read back a few posts.

Date: January 5, 2010 19:24

SwayStones
Gazza
.I cant believe you typed that with a straight face....LOL

What do you mean by "straight " ? You want to know if I was serious ?

I just found it quite ironic that Mick would be too concerned at 'only' being worth £190 million

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:25

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

Blue Lena on Shidoobee just posted this:

Fran Curtis just confirmed for me that this is indeed the band's official statement as of now:

'' Following recent UK media speculation, The Rolling Stones would like to make it clear, there are no plans at the moment for the band to tour in 2010.''

Date: January 5, 2010 19:30

Yes, Dailymail (gossip) and NME.
But nothing on RollingStone, Billboard, BBC and other big news providers also other gossipnews providers.
Dailymail has been after Ronnie the last year, so they will probably keep the "the endless tory" rolling.
The article just mentions "a spokesman says" - who is that spokesman?
Sources say....
Would Stones cancel all activities just because Ronnie is in bad shape?
If they were top cancel, then there would be a much severe problem - not because of Ronnie, but because of either Mick, Keith or Charlie.
But then I doubt they would announce it in Dailymail.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:31

this official corroboration from fran now coincides with my official plans to not see the stones live in 2010. if fran would just now confirm plans to open the vaults, it would coincide with my plans to listen to vault recordings in 2010.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:32

mtaylor

Fran Curtis, for example.

Date: January 5, 2010 19:35

TooTough
mtaylor

Of note
Curtis has repped dozens of '70s and '80s icons, including David Bowie, Paul Newman, Elton John, Janet Jackson, Christie Brinkley, and Claudia Schiffer. She's probably best known, though, as the longtime publicist for the Rolling Stones—she's been spinning reporters on the subject of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' affairs, arrests and drunken escapades for two decades. Most recently, when Richards felt out of a palm tree and suffered a concussion in 2006, Curtis went on record to deny rumors that Richard's injury would require a hole to be drilled in his skull. (About a week later, Richards had a hole drilled in his skull.) Longtime client Christie Brinkley has also kept her busy as of late. In 2006, there was the messy fallout from Peter Cook's affair and Brinkley and Cook's subsequent divorce; more recently, she had to reassure Brinkley's (remaining) fans that the ex-supermodel would be okay after undergoing back surgery.

With Keith's problem in 2006 she wasn't that trustworthy

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 5, 2010 19:40

mtaylor
TooTough
mtaylor

Of note
Curtis has repped dozens of '70s and '80s icons, including David Bowie, Paul Newman, Elton John, Janet Jackson, Christie Brinkley, and Claudia Schiffer. She's probably best known, though, as the longtime publicist for the Rolling Stones—she's been spinning reporters on the subject of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' affairs, arrests and drunken escapades for two decades. Most recently, when Richards felt out of a palm tree and suffered a concussion in 2006, Curtis went on record to deny rumors that Richard's injury would require a hole to be drilled in his skull. (About a week later, Richards had a hole drilled in his skull.) Longtime client Christie Brinkley has also kept her busy as of late. In 2006, there was the messy fallout from Peter Cook's affair and Brinkley and Cook's subsequent divorce; more recently, she had to reassure Brinkley's (remaining) fans that the ex-supermodel would be okay after undergoing back surgery.

With Keith's problem in 2006 she wasn't that trustworthy

that can only mean one, thing, right? 2010 World Tour!!! WooHoo!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home