Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Daily Mail - NO Stones tour for 2010- official stones statement
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:59

One last question out of desperation, has the Daily Mail ever been known to blow a rather big story like this?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:00

Doxa
Gazza

It wont be on rs.con unless theres a t-shirt to commemorate it.

Most likely they start selling Rolling Stones American Tour 2010 T-shirts in April there...

- Doxa

...with a promised super strictly limited edition of a tour rehearsal DVD...
...oh no,it´s Blu-Ray meanwhile...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:02

Honestman
@GAZZA

...Certainly a lot more 'professional' than the total silence from the Stones camp

I never get that silence, I could get it if there's a main reason, but when all the Band is ready , what the f#@# did they wait to make an announcement, speculation ?

I'm not sure whhat youre referring to here, mate.. I was talking about the fact that anyone with any sense knew that after Keiths accident that several shows in Europe would be affected - yet the Stones wouldnt release any statements to advise that shows were being cancelled, and still continued to sell tickets - even though the band had cancelled hotel bookings and local promoters were saying that there would be cancellations.

Date: January 5, 2010 01:06

Edith Grove
One last question out of desperation, has the Daily Mail ever been known to blow a rather big story like this?

Theyve certainly not been averse to twisting stories for their own ends, but the wording of that statement suggests, in three different places, that it's an official press release.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:06

Edith Grove

Sad to say, but the Daily Mail's record with Stones news over the past 40 years or so, has been very impressive indeed.

I don't know the reason as to exactly why, but they seem to always get it right.

...here's hoping that this is one important exception to the rule.

Date: January 5, 2010 01:08

Not shocking.. economy not quite picked up enough in the US....by 2011 demand will be absolutely through the roof for the "Stones final tour".. it may not be billed as such but given their age people will make the connection....I also think if they don't tour this year then we'll get a new and final album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:09

Translation: Mick met Ronnie and determined that Ronnie will be in no shape to tour, and decided to pull the plug before the tour machinery got moving and resources were squandered. They are leaving the door open a crack in case events dictate a change.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:10

When BV says the tour is off i trust him, not this crap!

Why should they wait untill april to release exile if it wasn´t part off bigger plans=A new tour.

The record is already finished and they have already released the rest of the remasters.

Doesn´t make any sense?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:12

.......just asking...but where is the Reuters or AP release?...I mean the Stones are huge...they sneeze and it's picked up globally by all the wires immediately.......

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:15

Gazza
Edith Grove

Theyve certainly not been averse to twisting stories for their own ends, but the wording of that statement suggests, in three different places, that it's an official press release.

Like here the official announcement is straightly connected to the context of 'Ronnie-Eka'-drama that is going hot at the moment. In other words - that is quite sad really - the only value of the news that The Stones is not going to tour is to kick Ronnie a bit more... The guy's the target of the press no matter what happens... the blood has been sensed...

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:16

...New Album .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:20

at least we are seeing some loyalty towards ronnie, yes its delaying the tour but at least woody is most likely going to be there when the smoke clears

Date: January 5, 2010 01:23

Gazza

The Stones WERE planning a tour.

You seriously think Ronnie's antics haven't created some problems?

It's what i heard to from different sources. One of those sources, working for Michael Cohl, admitted that this time things were especially complicated. I don't really think Ronnie is the cause. All he needs is a rehab cure....as usual. Nothing new under the sun.
Planning a tour is a long process, from Mick calling Michael Cohl and saying "we want to tour and we want x millions $ to do it" till local promotors and insurrance companies saying "we're ok to risk money on it. Maybe it's the real problem. Those people are the ones who take the real risk. I'm not sure that the spanish promotor who got the Barcelona concert in 2007, booked a 60000 people stadium and ended with 35000 tixs sold is very enthousiastic to do it again. The poor guy probably lost his pants. Not sure the french promotor who booked the 89000 people Stade de France in 2006 (a great show btw) and ended with a little more than 60000 tixs sold is enthousiastic. And what about insurances? How much did they have to pay after all the cancellations and postponed concerts?

So maybe it's the real problem. I know for sure that another great historic band planned to play Europe last year (sorry i can't tell the name) and had to cancel the project because they couldn't find any promotor ready to pay what they asked. And this band plan to tour Europe next year and have the same problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 01:26 by Jumpinjackflash59.

Date: January 5, 2010 01:28

melillo
at least we are seeing some loyalty towards ronnie, yes its delaying the tour but at least woody is most likely going to be there when the smoke clears

When the smoke clears? If the guy is drinking two bottles of vodka and smoking 50 cigs daily, I don't think there is too much left "when the smoke clears". Seemingly Ronnie screwed up their plans now, but I'm not so sure if the decision to not tour is doing for "loyalty". Maybe they just had to. Maybe Eric's schedule was alraedy full, or there was no better stunt available, no time to really rearrange the guitarist post, etc.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 01:31 by Doxa.

Date: January 5, 2010 01:31

Financial investment in something of this scale in the current financial climate is certainly a major issue - quite correct.

That issue is magnified even further when one band member is likely to be deemed a serious insurance risk, with the potential to scupper everything.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:31

the smoke cleared for licks and bang didnt it? and if i remember correctly ronnie was boozing and smoking then also

Date: January 5, 2010 01:33

melillo

Waiting for him to straighten himself out and standing by him while he does so is certainly one possible reason.

Another just as valid scenario is that they did a quick reality check and realised that there wasnt a chance in hell of an already tight schedule working out whilst their lead guitarist was likely to be incapacitated for the next 2-3 months and cut their losses.

Date: January 5, 2010 01:39

melillo
the smoke cleared for licks and bang didnt it? and if i remember correctly ronnie was boozing and smoking then also

By the time the tour started? No..he had undergone rehab. He's been in rehab something like 8 times now. Usually he does it half arsed.

I think its quite apparent that this problem isnt something you can just shrug off every couple of years as if nothing has happened. Sooner or later it'll bite you on the arse.

The guy isnt 35 years old anymore. His boozing seems to be worse than it ever was, and he's still smoking (despite the empysema warnings) and taking drugs at a level that would suggest that more than ever he's a walking timebomb. None of his previous escapades have ever been on this kind of unmanageable level as far as I'm aware.

Posted by: homer47 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:40

Doxa woher weisst du das mit der t-shirts ?

Date: January 5, 2010 01:43

melillo

That's true but the guy's still mortal despite being a Rolling Stone, aren't him? He is 5 yaers older than in the beginning of A BIGGER BANG tour.

But I have a hint that this decision is not solely due to Ronnie - maybe those mentioned financial facts of current economical situation might have a factor too, and some other factors - what we know about the things in 1986 when there was no tour despite a lot of speculation? - and Ronnie's case just is the tip of the iceberg or something. Like someone suggested here it is odd that they didn't know what kind of risky business Ronnie is at the moment. His bad condition - if that is true - cannot be such a huge surprise for them? They surely need to know him by now! But what is true Ronnie and nothing but Ronnie will be blamed for all this...

- Doxa

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:45

Gazza
Honestman
@GAZZA

...Certainly a lot more 'professional' than the total silence from the Stones camp

I never get that silence, I could get it if there's a main reason, but when all the Band is ready , what the f#@# did they wait to make an announcement, speculation ?

I'm not sure whhat youre referring to here, mate.. I was talking about the fact that anyone with any sense knew that after Keiths accident that several shows in Europe would be affected - yet the Stones wouldnt release any statements to
advise that shows were being cancelled, and still continued to sell tickets - even though the band had cancelled hotel bookings and local promoters were saying that there would be cancellations.

I was reffering to their silence in general !
The staff is not the champion of the world in communication, that's what i wanted to explain (But sorry English is not my first language)
For 2006, I've bought my ticket and it took days before i could get an information!
The SDF show was cancelled and was postponed during my summer vacations ( I was born in good luck)winking smiley

HMN

Date: January 5, 2010 01:51

That was pretty much the point I was making - yeah.

however, its to their credit this time I suppose that they ended a lot of speculation pretty quick - as they did with the Charlie press story 3 months ago.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:00

good. don't need no crippled dog and pony show no how. i personally wish they would just clamp it until they have something cohesive and fresh and organic and inspired...they are way capable of this of course. and of course, a leetle sad to theenk that the great charlie watts live will not fill halls in twenty ten. of course...he the bloodline big beat daddy....awww, love 'em...but what the hey, enuff of stadium clown shows after awhile...sorry for those who are upset, truly am...but WHEN and IF they ever Care to put something out more organic solid and together... i like a lot of 2007...i'm totally on their side...but i don't think THEY'RE (mick and keith) together or want to be in any seriously creative way....we'll see....there ain't no meaningful 50 year celebration until july 12, 2012 anyway....one last hugmongus two year tour or such...probably soon, however the personnel....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:28

............maybe Mick got an advanced look at Keith's book.....eye popping smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 5, 2010 02:59

Well, it's been about three hours now and so far the Daily Mail is the only one reporting this.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:06

Heard them talk about it on an LA station, said it looks like no tour this year and they hope things work out with Ronnie.....turned it on in the middle of the report

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:25

assuming the story is credible, i think the ronnie issue is a convenient excuse, as i don't even think he represents the biggest liability for this act...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:51

If Ronnie is the reason the Stones felt compelled to release this statement, then it would also indicate how far removed MT is for any real consideration of ever rejoining the band.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 5, 2010 04:54

50th Aniversary Tour 2012 will rake more dollars for Mick... In the mean time expect a Winos reunion, a Faces reunion, then a new album and tour.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 5, 2010 05:04

Gee I wounder if there not touring because of Ronnies problems or mabe they were never planning to tour this year at all. But now I am beginning to wonder if they ever will tour again or have we seen the last of them I sure hope not.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home