Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Sherlock Holmes the movie
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 29, 2009 15:54

I just want to know what my fellows IORR think about that movie. I went to see it few days ago and I didn't like it at all. I should have known better with Guy Ritchie as a director that is what I was going to get; nonsense fight scenes and incomprehensible dialogues. I love Sherlock Holmes, the books and the Tv movies and I believe that movie is absurd.
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-29 17:34 by bv.

Re: OTconfused smileyherlock Holmes the movie
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2009 16:39

Try Murder By Decree - the best modern day Sherlock Holmes film outside of the 1940s Basil Rathbone/Cedric Hardwicke classics. It has a cast of thousands - Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland etc

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 29, 2009 16:40

Ahhh, Basil was a great, great Holmes.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 29, 2009 16:51

Rollmops,

I did not see it but I just assumed when it comes to Hollywood remaking a famous movie, literary charactor or TV series with a big budget it's predictable. They Screw it up with political correctness , over reliance on CGI or over the top modernization to try and bring it into current times. They also have this over whelming need to send a message or force feed thier opinion about any hot button issue concerning society at any given moment.

Here are a few recent examples that urk me to no end.

I was not a big fan of a 70's Cop show called Starsky & Hutch but it was average for the time IMHO. Point being: it was a middle of the road cop drama with a joke thrown in once in a while. a few years back they made into a big Budget comedy film quite bad.

The 50's The Honey Mooners timeless comedy to this day. In the Big Budget Movie they were a Black Family, thats not who they were.

1966 movie ( Flight of the Pheonix) Great cast, great dialogue, great Story (IMHO)
Big Budget update: Over the top dialogue and ridiculous amounts of CGI too flopped this movie.

1974 Movie (Taking of Pelman 1-2-3) I loved everything about it, drama, suspense, a little comedy with great cast.
Big Budget update: Not as bad as other remakes but strayed way to far from original charactors.

Im sure there are some good remakes out there but they are few and far between.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-29 16:56 by virgil.

Date: December 29, 2009 17:06

Virgil said:

You're right Virgil. I liked the remake of Cape Fear by Scorcese I thought it was even better than the original(and the original was great).
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: December 29, 2009 17:23

If you go and see this Guy Richie version, you have to forget any previous images you may have of Sherlock Holmes and judge the film on its own merits. Personally, I found that hard to do, so not a great fan of this interpretation. It is likely to become a franchise so more to come.......

A couple of pictures -

Re: OT: Sherlock Holmes the movie
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 29, 2009 17:58

The Jeremy Brett Granada series in the 80s is the best.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 29, 2009 17:59

rollmops
Virgil said:

You're right Virgil. I liked the remake of Cape Fear by Scorcese I thought it was even better than the original(and the original was great).
Rock and Roll,
Mops

I agree Rollmops Both Cape fears were very good thay stuck to the same story line and did not change the charactors too much. I liked that they used Peck and Mitchum in cameo roles also.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: December 29, 2009 18:46

rollmops
I just want to know what my fellows IORR think about that movie. I went to see it few days ago and I didn't like it at all....

Jeremy Brett is the only Sherlock Holmes. What an actor he was...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 29, 2009 18:57

Single Malt

Did he ever do anything besides Sherlock Holmes? Hmm, maybe he wasn't acting.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 29, 2009 19:02

cc
Single Malt

Did he ever do anything besides Sherlock Holmes? Hmm, maybe he wasn't acting.

yes he did. he played in my fair lady ie. and he was acting quite a lot. and he was the best & only Holmes

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 29, 2009 19:30

Local NPT station runs the Jeremy Brett series here on Saturday nights; absolutely one of the best things on TV.
Brett is fabulous !

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 29, 2009 19:36

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is a classic. I will go see Guy's latest adventure, what the hell it is Christmas vacation.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 29, 2009 20:25

HEILOOBAAS
The Jeremy Brett Granada series in the 80s is the best.
Indeed Jonno. Brett brought Holmes to life as I had imagined him from reading Doyle's stories like no other actor before him or since. The new movie is seems to be a re-imagining of the characters which begs the question, why call it Sherlock Holmes?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2009 20:26

Jude Law is in it, so it gets a great big thumbs down from me!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 29, 2009 20:36

I rather see John Holmes -The Movie winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2009 20:39

Hey, looks like we could have the start of the IORR film club here.

Date: December 29, 2009 20:40

ChrisM wrote:
The new movie is seems to be a re-imagining of the characters which begs the question, why call it Sherlock Holmes?

Hey, exactly. Why did he pick up the character Holmes to transform him into something else and still call him Sherlock Holmes? It's kind of a fraud to me. I went to see the movie due to the subject matter but I was an idiot because of course Ritchie does what he does and I obviously don't like his work. I didn't read anything about the movie before going.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 29, 2009 20:43

Yes, to repeat, two words: Jeremy Brett (period).

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 29, 2009 22:03

I have seen the trailer and it just astounds me that there are so many special effects, explosions, and more "filler" in a movie about Sherlock Holmes. I will not go see it, as I would only compare Robert Downey Jr. to Jeremy Brett's Holmes, and it will be no contest. Brett set a high standard for Sherlock Holmes and nobody has matched it since. We have watched those episodes several times since the '80's, when they first aired. They are absolutely brilliant. Great ACTING, great stories and cinematography, no need for the crap you see in almost all movies now.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 29, 2009 22:50

Jeremy Brett, no question about it.
That Granada series was excellent.
Also a thumb's up to the two actors who played Watson
in the series: David Burke and Edward Hardwicke.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 30, 2009 00:05

do you think the character of Holmes is really so hard to play? I mean, granted a certain amount of intelligence in the actor. I like Brett in the role too, but it approaches a conventional wisdom that he's the best... which leads me to think that it can't really be true. Plus he's on TV, which sets a lower standard. Peter Cushing did a fine job in one try in Hammer's The Hound of the Baskervilles. I'm sure others could do it but want to avoid being locked into the role.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 30, 2009 00:41

Shawn20
Ahhh, Basil was a great, great Holmes.

He was the one for me!

...stiff upper-lip, impeccable manners and that wonderful RAF-style, mid-counties accent.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 30, 2009 00:59

My personal fave is the version played by the late Jeremy Brett (he passed in 1995).

As for Downey's version, I have yet to see it, but I'll give it a chance once it's available on pay-per-view or DVD.

Date: December 30, 2009 01:10

cc
do you think the character of Holmes is really so hard to play? I mean, granted a certain amount of intelligence in the actor. I like Brett in the role too, but it approaches a conventional wisdom that he's the best... which leads me to think that it can't really be true. Plus he's on TV, which sets a lower standard. Peter Cushing did a fine job in one try in Hammer's The Hound of the Baskervilles. I'm sure others could do it but want to avoid being locked into the role.

I wouldn't call the Granada TV series a lower standard at all.

I remember reading an interview with Brett in which he said other actors
told him not to do the part, that the character is too intense and actors
get too obsessed with it. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.
He said it was harder to play than any Shakespeare character.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2009 05:55

Nobody beats the old Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce combo though they are a bit dated the chemistry with those two is great. I just watched Sherlock Holmes in Washington and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes the other day on TCM and I had not seen one in a while. Thoroughly enjoyed them. I have not seen the new movie but its on my list of things to do.

Date: December 30, 2009 09:34

slew
Nobody beats the old Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce combo though they are a bit dated the chemistry with those two is great. I just watched Sherlock Holmes in Washington and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes the other day on TCM and I had not seen one in a while. Thoroughly enjoyed them. I have not seen the new movie but its on my list of things to do.

Sadly they made the NigelBruce/Dr. Watson a kind of
comedy relief, which is totally opposite of what
Conan Doyle did with the Watson charater.
He's a doctor, for crying out loud, not a bumbling fool.
Rathbone was good, but the Holmes character is a lot more darker than that,
which wasn't the intent back then. However, they were great at what was presented.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 30, 2009 11:11

rollmops
I just want to know what my fellows IORR think about that movie. I went to see it few days ago and I didn't like it at all. I should have known better with Guy Ritchie as a director that is what I was going to get; nonsense fight scenes and incomprehensible dialogues. I love Sherlock Holmes, the books and the Tv movies and I believe that movie is absurd.
Mops

I haven't seen the film, but anything by Guy Ritchie HAS to be dodgy somewhere no? grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2009 11:23

This is why OT threads really have their place IMO. I now learned about Jeremy Brett, who I had not heard about, and will now go and check out. I love BBC TV. Tops.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 30, 2009 11:53

Lesson learned: Never watch a film directed by Guy Ritchie. NEVER!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home