Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - tired of U2 hypocrisy? ME2
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 23, 2009 18:02

There are folks that would like to shove "The Edge" off the edge - of a Malibu cliff.

[www.latimes.com]

Re: OT - tired of U2 hypocrisy? ME2
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 23, 2009 18:29

"Leaves in the Wind"?!? that might be the gayest thing i've ever heard. Aren't U2 also wanting to construct a tower with their recording studio at the top? For a band that is always asking for people to donate money to various causes, they certainly don't understand the meaning of being humble.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 23, 2009 19:46

I saw the behemoth of a project they're building near Dublin a couple years back. Talk about a monument to one's own ego, ye gods. The good news is, apparently the project there is stalled because the Irish real estate market was ridiculously overheated and has now cooled considerably. Mr. Edge should enjoy dealing with the progressive utopia that is Malibu.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 23, 2009 20:22

And why is this on the home page of the European Rolling Stones fan club?

I like U2, but they're not supposed to be on this site, unless they're warming up for the Stones - or - like Bono on the cover of the new IORR magazine - sings with Mick...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 23, 2009 20:25

Bozo and Beanie cap, walking on water and building castles....

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 20:34

Addicted
And why is this on the home page of the European Rolling Stones fan club?

I like U2, but they're not supposed to be on this site, unless they're warming up for the Stones - or - like Bono on the cover of the new IORR magazine - sings with Mick...
You said all man, you said all!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 23, 2009 20:34

i love this (no love for u2) right on !

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 23, 2009 20:53

If you buy one of the remaining four houses that would be built, would it include 2 GA Tickets to an upcoming U2 show and a Meet & Greet with Adam Clayton ?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 23, 2009 21:15

Good band years ago. Not so now.

And Bongo = chubby!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 23, 2009 21:39

Well it is California.

Date: December 23, 2009 22:07

Because they just sang with Jagger in NY and they've been covering It's Only Rock and Roll - the name of this site - there, dots are connected

play on

Date: December 23, 2009 22:28

Wow--if you look at leavesinthewind.com (wow, what Edge!) you'll find this gem:

"Unfortunately, there has been some amount of speculation, rumors and untruths circulating about the proposed development of homes in the Sweetwater Mesa area of Malibu. Much of the criticism of the project has been raised by Jim Smith, a disgruntled neighbor with a history of degradation of coastal resources. Below are some of the more common misstatements and factual refutations of those accusations. Click on a myth below to read the facts."

Nice of a big famous rock star to trash a "disgruntled neighbor" who has concerns about a big famous rockstar building FIVE FREAKING MANSIONS ON A HILLSIDE,

I wish U2 could write an album around this; a biting social commentary pitting a small neighbor against the forces of nature and rock and roll - a roll up your sleeves, blue collar, everyman epic called...

"Leaves In The Wind"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-23 22:29 by hbwriter.

Date: December 23, 2009 22:32

More propaganda from The Edge"

From the Edge

Dear friends,

Thanks for taking the time to look over the information on this website. I never thought I would have to resort to this form of communication, but because of recent inaccurate media coverage, I felt compelled to set the record straight.
I hope you will agree that my partners and I have worked diligently to design homes that meet the highest environmental standards; that fit appropriately and aesthetically into this beautiful part of Southern California; and that are truly remarkable examples of the best architecture and design.

Why did we go to so much effort? Because my family and I love Malibu. We’ve maintained a residence here for more than a decade, and once our new home is finished we expect to spend much of our time here. We want to create something that we can be proud of.

------

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 23, 2009 22:36

Hey, why won;t he take that freakin cap off!!!!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 22:49

bono = sonny bono
edge = wwe wrestler
haven't liked anything u2 has done on 15 or more yrs.

Date: December 23, 2009 22:57

He's a brilliant guitarist. We should all just leave the cat alone.

Just listen to his solo on "New Years Day"

End of argument

Date: December 23, 2009 23:09

---

because of that, he's totally untouchable -- can do whatever the hell he wants and be above critique?

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 23:22

As a huge U2 fan from 1981 to the present day (saw them in October and will see them again next June), these moves (the Tower in Dublin and Edge's massive house) seem completely puzzling to me. They've always thought "BIG" and certainly their current stage has been a success (it's unbelievable when you see it in person). But why why why draw so much attention to yourself?? Now everyone knows exactly where Edge lives! There are so many amazing, huge mansions in Malibu in extremely private areas (on the beach or not). Even on public roads where I've driven in the area the homes are great. Sure, it's ego but enough already! And Edge, would you please play Gloria next June 12th?? thanks.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 23:49

Lost me after the Joshua Tree which was excellent.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 23, 2009 23:50

Look in google images under "Hypocrisy" - you'll see Bono. He makes me sick, he makes me want to puke my guts out.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 23, 2009 23:56

I have to say, if the land is open for future development, it will be developed. Not "might," or "could be," but WILL. And what are the chances it would be absolutely hideous, like much of the rest of southern California architecture? So this rock star wants to build five houses over a large area that will be developed anyway, and most likely would be developed with far more than five homes, not out of love for the area, but out of love for real estate profits. So this rock star wants to build eco-homes, as a role model for future builders, in a place that desperately needs such role models. Why draw attention to himself?? Well, most other rock stars wouldn't, they'd just build their disastrous massive estates as quickly and quietly as possible. He may be naive to think his neighbors will love him for it, but holy crap, how much money do other rock stars put into their unsustainable, massive multiple homes? Dislike U2 all you want, but it looks to me like there are plenty worse things to be critical of than a set of sustainable homes in a place like Malibu.

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:04

Don't forget the tax shelters!

In fact, here is a list.

Support Green Peace, but Bono has to ride in an SUV to/from shows/airport/hotel. Also, can NEVER stay in the city they're playing in (unless they have a hotel that meets all of their STRICT REQUIREMENTS) and burn up a ton of fuel flying back to their "base." All while saying they're concerned for the environment.

Bono's "Rich people have feelings too" quote.

Are always surprisingly tight-lipped when asked about their own charitable donations, but want the people who shelled out tons of money (especially) in 2005 to donate even more.

Post videos on their website talking about how they "borrow" other rich people's planes.

Oh yeah, can they can't play crap without sequencers and 2 extra musicians under the stage which Bono refers to as the "Edge Orchestra."

They've been sold out since 2001.

Date: December 24, 2009 00:06

hbwriter

---

because of that, he's totally untouchable -- can do whatever the hell he wants and be above critique?

Yes, The Edge is untouchable. I mean Mr. Edge

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:10

But has to have his tech control his Wah pedal for him? Yeah, hes untouchable.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:26

Again, if you don't like U2's music, that's fine, but to be a Stones fan and complain about U2 as a bunch of filthy rich guys who require too much support on stage is well... hypocritical. The Stones are richer, have done far less for charity or political action, and require far, far more support on stage to perform their music. I'll always love the Stones, but they are the absolute kings of rock and roll greed and excessive stage production.

Date: December 24, 2009 00:28

Anthony
But has to have his tech control his Wah pedal for him? Yeah, hes untouchable.

Yes, that is so Mister Edge can walk around and play to us "commons" instead of standing still. Mister Edge and his guitar tech Dallas do not hide this fact.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:37

"the Irish real estate market was ridiculously overheated and has now cooled considerably"
And "by accident" U2 and Mc Guinness have created an off-shore structure based in the Netherlands to house the band's savings only months before the irish economy crumbled.
What a luck! But Bono should be informed that California is in no better condition than Ireland... watch your wallet, bonehead smoking smiley

Date: December 24, 2009 00:44

Again, if you don't like U2's music, that's fine, but to be a Stones fan and complain about U2 as a bunch of filthy rich guys who require too much support on stage is well... hypocritical. The Stones are richer, have done far less for charity or political action, and require far, far more support on stage to perform their music. I'll always love the Stones, but they are the absolute kings of rock and roll greed and excessive stage production.
---

the Stones don't present themselves as the bunch of do-gooder robin hoods that these guys do - the Stones live like the Stones - no apologies - these guys are a joke - as for the fact that the area will one day be developed - so what? Why make yourself look like such a public fool fighting this public battle? Leave it to the Trumps-

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:44

Oh, well, the hatred of U2 that is frequently thrown about on this forum is a change from the frequent hatred thrown towards the 21st century version of the Stones.

Date: December 24, 2009 01:15

I think of it more as venting against pompous, pretentious hypocrites- no matter who they are - and "The Edge" (God. that name is stupid) has made himself a compelling target by taking the stance of "benevolent developer" -

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home