Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which BEGGARS BANQUET Cover Do You Prefer ?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 17, 2009 20:01

I prefer the plain white "invitation" cover... yellowed with age

Re: Which BEGGARS BANQUET Cover Do You Prefer ?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 17, 2009 20:23

I still like the White one---Its a classic look for a Classic album!
I love the inside...The best ever inside of any album..

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 17, 2009 20:25

the "White-one" with the fife stars-

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: December 17, 2009 20:57

The bathroom cover seems like it's gratuitous bad-boy behavior that's incongruous with the theme of the album and looks "forced."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 17, 2009 20:58

white for me, please. and please put the seat down on the other...years of marriage at work here....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 18, 2009 00:15

hot stuff
I love the inside...The best ever inside of any album..

hey yeah--is the inside of the "white" version the same as was originally planned, or did they change that too?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 18, 2009 00:21

The inside shot ........ that's the one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 18, 2009 00:35

>> The inside shot ........ that's the one <<

yep!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 00:44

I think they're both classics. I'll give slight nod to graffitti bathroom cover. Reminds me of restroom in one of favorite bars.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 18, 2009 02:30

I grew up with the white one. i don't think they should have ever changed it. after all this time they should have just let it be.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:28

It would be nice if ABKCO put them both out. I would prefer the original release cover actually.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:32

the one the Stones intended to release

oooh and this:

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:36

The white one, but only because that's the one I grew up with. If it had originally been released in the bathroom cover, then the music and the bathroom cover would have been forever connected in my mind, and anything OTHER than the bathroom cover would seem "wrong".

Date: December 18, 2009 04:43

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 18, 2009 06:17

When I was a very young Beatles fan first discovering the Stones, I thought there was a pattern of the Stones imitating Beatles album covers: First TSMR after Pepper, then Beggars Banquet was like the White Album, and Let it Bleed like Let It Be (title, not cover). This was before I knew about the original BB cover.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 18, 2009 06:58

The White one for sure. Absolutely classic to be so formal and have what's inside so rough and rockin'

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 18, 2009 08:02

schillid - I like your animated gif!

I've never actually seen the bathroom cover for a vinyl album, and have lived with the other one for many moons...so I can't say for sure which I'd prefer.

--------------

Question about the photo above. Does anyone know where the original collection of the photos from that BB shoot are now? Meaning, are they on display anywhere? what happened after this last exhibition with many unseen photos were shown for the first time?

Where is the collection now? (would love to see the whole lot of them!)

I found the following on a blog from November 2008 -- then discovered Blink Gallery no longer exists. Sorry if this has been covered already. Also don't mean to hijack your thread (if you want me to, I can delete this, schillid):

"With only a week left before Michael Joseph’s iconic images are put in temporary storage, its time for all die hard Rolling Stoners to head to Soho’s Blink Gallery to enjoy the visual delights that the Beggars Banquet Collection has to offer.

"Michael Joseph’s legendary images, dating back to 1968, were commissioned for the Rolling Stones’ Beggars Banquet album, and remain a faithful example of his trademark use of large group scenes with people and animals interacting. Although Brian Jones had been busted for drugs the day before, the results of the two day shoot, which took place at Sarum Chase, the former home of Victorian society painter Frank Owen Salisbury, and Swarkestone, built in 1632 for bear-baiting and jousting, are more than a sight for sore eyes. The images range from atmospheric black and white portraits of Mick Jagger, captivating in their nonchalance, to the juxtaposition of washed out background colour and the bright Victorian-inspired styling in the group shots. A fine art quality transpires this collection, allowing surreal scenes involving goats, cows and the four (sic), often bored, Rolling Stones, to inhabit a regal dining room and relax in its opulence. Lucky for some, eh?

"Although it is more than a travesty that over 75% of the images have never been exhibited or seen by the public before, luckily, all Michael Joseph and Rolling Stones enthusiasts have at least a week to feast their eyes on music’s most notorious banquet."
----------

thanks
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 08:30 by swiss.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 18, 2009 08:05

the cover of the vinyl bootleg "andrew's blues" ,is an outtake from this photo session & "hot rocks"

Posted by: squando ()
Date: December 18, 2009 09:49

The white one is classic and one of their best I think.

I don't like the toilet one at all.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: December 18, 2009 09:55

I think the official plain cover is better. The toilet cover is not bad at all but still I vote the other...

Date: December 18, 2009 10:35

I like his one too smiling bouncing smiley

Amused

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 18, 2009 16:23

The white cover with its formal invitation goes well with the inside feast the Stones are having..Very funny seeing the Stones being the Stones even at a formal dinner party..It was something we wished we all could have done when we were 16... Not really sure what a dirty toilet has to do with a Banquet anyway.
The inside of the stones cover now reminds me of dinner at my house with my 4 boys...ha.

It has to be the coolest picture of the Stones of any of their albums...Except maybe Through the Past Darkly.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 18, 2009 16:47

schillid
I prefer the plain white "invitation" cover... yellowed with age

OMG Schillid, the cover goes from one to another to back again!!! I know that's impossible so it must be an LSD flashback, woo, this is freaking me out big time Daddy-O.... I'm on the 45th floor but I'm gonna jump, the room is starting to breath... I can't handle this..... it's breathing AND changing colors, Holy Sh*t !!!
SOMEBODY, OPEN THE WINDOW QUICK !!! HERE I COME !!!!...........

Date: December 18, 2009 17:24

I think ABKCO reissued BB on vinyl with the toilet cover in the mid 1980s when the CDs came out because the CD had the toilet cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 17:25 by skipstone.

Date: December 18, 2009 17:44

HS: When you're recovered... [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 19:42 by schillid.

Date: December 18, 2009 19:42

Maybe a combination would have been A CLASSIC...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-18 21:51 by schillid.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 18, 2009 21:12

I adore the white one and always think of it in conjunction with the inside photo. A message of formality and propriety on the outside and elegant decadent excess in the interior, which perfectly complements the perfectly-crafted songs with their subversive but beautifully-written lyrics. It's quite wonderful in the large size of a vinyl album.

Correspondingly I detest the toilet cover and never look at it. I think it's vile and disgusting. But as I don't own it, I don't have to see it too often :-)

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 18, 2009 21:23

I adore most of textless covers. Many times words just spoil 'em... They are too good for words. winking smiley

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 18, 2009 23:21

schillid
Maybe a combination would have been A CLASSIC...

nice ! thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 19, 2009 01:19

I prefer the orignal one , but here you can find some alternative

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home