Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT...Pet Sounds
Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 29, 2006 14:38

album is ridiculously good........Brian Wilson genius

Re: OT...Pet Sounds
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 29, 2006 14:55

I respect that opinion since it seems to be shared by millions of people but... I've tried! I've given it listen after listen. I like "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "I'm Not Where I Should Be" and "God Only Knows" which is beautiful. And past that? It sounds like Ray Conniff to me. And that g*****m "bah bah bah bah bah" sheep bleater, whichever Beach Boy that is, irritates me to death. I'm sorry, but I'm forming a club of (so far) one: The People Who Don't Get 'Pet Sounds'.

Okay, here's a provacative statement but for me it holds true. Swear to God, for me, The Monkee's first album kicks 'Pet Sounds''s ass. Just my opinion.

God bless,

Tommy

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:03

i sorta of agree how ever......but if you but it in a 1960's context!!!!
take the last train to clarksville and i will meet you at the station!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-29 15:03 by tat2you.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:15

I tell you what. I would LOVE to hear 'Pet Sounds' on a good-condition original heavy mono vinyl pressing on an old tube-driven sound system like I had in my living room as a kid. That's what it was meant to be heard on anyway.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:25

It's like Exile in that it requires many listenings to get the full effect. Hidden treasures like "Don't Talk" - it's the subtle things that set it apart.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:58

I have the same attitude as Tommy; I have tried to love Pet Sounds. I have evn tried to see it in context of 60's, or as an album that IU don't need to like but just to respect - I still am bored. Too much doo wah wahs in quadruple harmony. I like the obvious songs..
Same deal with the infamous "OK Computer" - how many times have I said to myself: "I must not see it. Must try again.." and then Zzzzz

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 17:38

Some folks have to be hit over the head with obviously powerfol rock like JJF. They just don't get subtle,even if its beautiful,which is why Pet Sounds didn't sell when it first came out. I loved it the first time I heard it. I'm not found of the instrementals though,witch really are
just backing tracks that never got the vocals put on them. Tony Asher's lyrics spoke of young adulthood and fit beatifuly with Brian's music. I also think the bonus tracks do nothing but detract from what was a near perfect work of art,like selling Van Gough prints with his preliminary sketches overlayed on the print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-29 23:20 by keithfan64.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 29, 2006 17:43

If you are a Pet Sounds fan, try "Odyssey & Oracle" by the Zombies. Just got this and it is every bit as good, IMO.

Karl

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 29, 2006 17:49

Keithfan, that sounda bit rude about needing to be hit over the head. It implies ignorance for anyone who does not like Pet Sounds. Subtlety has nothing to do with it.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 18:31

I'm sorry if I was rude. I like JJF and anything good. But I think "subtlety" has a lot to do with why some great music dosen't connect with a lot of people. I'm not trying to be eletist but it just seems to be true. Look at the block- buster movies being made today. Nothing subtle there.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 29, 2006 21:46

I adore the album,it's one of the most well crafted records of all time.Howerver,I understand how some people may dislike.It is all matter of taste,after all.

tat2you Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i sorta of agree how ever......but if you
> but it in a 1960's context!!!!
> take the last train to clarksville and i
> will meet you at the station!

Man the record is timeless,it has nothing to do with 60's context.The real art is the one that is beyond any context of time and circumstances,stron enough to stand on its own.Pet sounds doesn't even sound like your typical sixties record.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 29, 2006 22:00

yours truley is going to see the Brian Wilson Show in Jan. he's touring the entire Pet sounds album. I cant Wait!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 30, 2006 13:44

Like it but as many above find it hard to consider it the greatest album ever, would take a good Beach Boys comp featuring the classic singles over it every time.

Saw Wilson in 2004, Smile tour, fantastic.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2006 13:49

I just wasn't made for these topics.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home