Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: MSG 1969 Soundboards
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 22:09

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
Right Shoe Shuffle
The Abcko dump included just the first three tracks from the 28th November 1969, 1st show. Two of these tracks: Carol and Sympathy for the Devil were used on Ya Yas with vocal overdubs replacing the original vocals. We know that a guitar overdub by Keith was later done on Carol but there hasn’t been much comment here about the overdubs on Sympathy for the Devil (probably the key track on the album along with MR. To what extent were overdubs used on this track? I will be interested in Chris M’s conclusions on this when he updated his webpage.

Are you 100% sure about guitar overdubs? I thought, at least to my knowledge, there were no guitar overdubs that ended up making it onto the finished album.

You hear Keith playing the rhythm on Carol (and Little Queenie) while he's playing his solos smiling smiley

Wow!! All this time I thought I was hearing Taylor doing the rhythm!! You learn something new every day smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 23:23

Actually , if you listen to the bootleg of the three NYC shows the music is the same on all the tracks except Carol and Little Queenie. The rest of the guitars and bass were not overdubbed. And those tracks , Little Queenie and Carol are the weakest on the album IMO. Ithink the Brian Jones Carol is better. And having said that, the overdubs on those songs arent very noticeable .

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 23, 2021 03:38

>Little Queenie and Carol are the weakest on the album IMO

Strange. I think they are the strongest. I always wonder who exactly is playing which guitar lines or riffs. I thought it was Keef and Taylor trading on and off playing rhythm and lead. Still do kinda. But the overdubbing makes sense especially here. I knew there was some studio work on the album but did not know what exactly.

jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 23, 2021 07:31

jbwelda

Strange. I think they are the strongest. I always wonder who exactly is playing which guitar lines or riffs. I thought it was Keef and Taylor trading on and off playing rhythm and lead. Still do kinda. But the overdubbing makes sense especially here. I knew there was some studio work on the album but did not know what exactly.

jb

Agreed, those two, after Rambler, are the two strongest tracks on the album. They out-Berry Berry.

plexi

Date: January 23, 2021 09:50

Taylor1
Actually , if you listen to the bootleg of the three NYC shows the music is the same on all the tracks except Carol and Little Queenie. The rest of the guitars and bass were not overdubbed. And those tracks , Little Queenie and Carol are the weakest on the album IMO. . And having said that, the overdubs on those songs arent very noticeable .

I think that Keith wanted to put his own stamp on the rhythm tracks.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 23, 2021 12:51

jbwelda

jb
Really? Carol is better than Sympathy, Street Fighting Man, Live With Me, Love in Vain , Honky Tonk Women? And doesn’t Taylor switch back and forth between rhythm and lead on Satisfaction? His guitar on Satisfaction is pretty great

Date: January 23, 2021 18:09

We also have the unused guitar solo on JJF.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 23, 2021 18:48

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

Interesting. Sounds like Keith to me. Does this imply that he overdubbed his rhythm guitar on JJF?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 24, 2021 01:19

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
Actually , if you listen to the bootleg of the three NYC shows the music is the same on all the tracks except Carol and Little Queenie. The rest of the guitars and bass were not overdubbed. And those tracks , Little Queenie and Carol are the weakest on the album IMO. . And having said that, the overdubs on those songs arent very noticeable .

Both guitars playing rhythm at once sounds pretty solid:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-24 01:20 by bleedingman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2021 02:38

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

Wow. That's... weird.

Date: January 24, 2021 04:16

Probably some local iorr.org guitarist fooled us. cool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2021 04:33

bleedingman
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

Both guitars playing rhythm at once sounds pretty solid:

If anyone was to ever play Charlie...

Date: January 24, 2021 05:17

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

Wow. That's... weird.

Definitely weird. Glad they didn't end up using it.

Date: January 24, 2021 05:18

TheflyingDutchman
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

Interesting. Sounds like Keith to me. Does this imply that he overdubbed his rhythm guitar on JJF?

I think the only thing overdubbed on JJF were the vocals.

Date: January 24, 2021 05:46

Many of the questions about guitar overdubs were answered in this thread from some years ago:

[iorr.org]

The Abcko dump as provided us with new opportunity to reconsider the conclusions from this earlier thread because of the much better quality of these soundboard sources. These new sources confirm that guitar overdubs were used on Carol and Little Queenie.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home