Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: MSG 1969 Soundboards
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 20, 2009 15:46

straycat58
straycat58
one question about HTW from Gimme shelter.

Could you please tell me at which point of the track is the cut between 28 second show and 27 ?

I think it's exactly at the end of "divorcee in New York City" but I'm not sure.

Sorry, I'm here again with my enquiry which remained unreplied.

Can somebody help me to detect HTW splitting point? This mix from Gimme shelter corresponds to the original versions or is overdubbed?

Yes I think you are right with the end of "divorcee in New York City". You can even hear the slightly different sound.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 20, 2009 19:50

vancouver
sorry .nov 28 1st,(gimme shelter soundtrack)

So we've got two dates for the dialogue. Sounds good. I've edited JJF from the 27th appropriately to disguise the mixed dialogue.

Date: December 22, 2009 03:12

Right Shoe Shuffle
[www.sendspace.com]

Carol - performed on the 28/11 1st show without the vocal overdub.

Thanks to Vancouver for help with uploading the file

Sympathy For The Devil 28/11 1st show - We know about the edit but does it have a vocal overdub? After listening to the audience recordings of the the other two MSG performances I'm inclined to think it has. IMO the only two perfomances on Ya Ya's without a vocal overdub appear to be LIV and MR

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 19, 2020 06:55

I've been very much looking into building a compilation of the original soundboard recordings from MSG 1969 during the pandemic so I found this thread if it's okay to rehash it from the dead. So far this is the information I have about the sources from Get Yer Ya Yas Out:

Jumpin' Jack Flash (MSG 11/27) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Carol (11/28, 1st Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Stray Cat Blues (Baltimore 11/26 and/or MSG 11/28, 1st Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Love In Vain (Baltimore 11/26)
Midnight Rambler (MSG, 11/28, 2nd Show)
Sympathy For The Devil (MSG 11/28, 1st Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Live With Me (MSG 11/28, 2nd Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Little Queenie (MSG 11/28, 1st Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Honky Tonk Women (MSG 11/27 & 11/28, 2nd Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]
Street Fighting Man (MSG 11/28, 1st Show) [Vocals Overdubbed]

A few questions. Does anyone know for sure the source of Stray Cat Blues? Listening to the Baltimore version, it sounds very similar to the one on GYYYO but not quite at the same time. It's a shame there's no complete bootleg of the MSG 11/28, 1st Show to know for sure. Second, there was talk here of the VHS copy of GIMME SHELTER having bonus footage of the version of Carol from GYYYO with its original vocals. Is anyone able to post that here?

Much appreciated!! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-19 06:58 by JordyLicks96.

Date: January 14, 2021 01:26

I found this on a DVD-R when I was recently doing a clean up. It was originally posted here via a youtube link about 10 years ago. Interesting because it is the Yas Ya's version without the vocal overdub. The audio of this appeared a year ago as part of the Abcko 2020 dump.

[we.tl]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 14, 2021 14:35

Speaking of which, wouldn't all the Abkco dump recordings of a year ago be considered basically "soundboard" or close enough? Are the old ones somehow superior or just give different audio tracks? I mean except for the early show on the 28th which was incomplete in the dump case.

plexi

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: January 16, 2021 02:09

Wow, dear Stones friends.

So happy to see the rollingstones.net research still referenced.

Vocals were the first and most obvious comparison against audience and movie recordings.

Musically, I looked for unique 'sound markers' like 'feedback' or 'throwback' as MJ would say.

Note-by-note and bar-by-bar analysis is really a challenge.

Don't forget the ABKCO RS69TRAX releases on youtube New Year's eve 2019.

They are soundboards and sensational when properly filtered.

I will finish the ABCKO copyright analysis this year!

Yours,

Chris M.
chrism42@aol.com

www.rollingstonesnet.com

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 16, 2021 15:04

timbernardis
Speaking of which, wouldn't all the Abkco dump recordings of a year ago be considered basically "soundboard" or close enough? Are the old ones somehow superior or just give different audio tracks? I mean except for the early show on the 28th which was incomplete in the dump case.

plexi

Although they sound good, I don't think they are soundboard in the true sense of the meaning. I think it is the audience microphone they put near the mixing desk to record the ambiance and audience.

Mathijs

Date: January 16, 2021 15:08

JordyLicks96
A few questions. Does anyone know for sure the source of Stray Cat Blues? Listening to the Baltimore version, it sounds very similar to the one on GYYYO but not quite at the same time. It's a shame there's no complete bootleg of the MSG 11/28, 1st Show to know for sure.

Stray Cat is from MSG 28, 1st, by deduction. It certainly isn't Baltimore as the Taylor solo's are different and the drumming is different. The sound of the drums, especially the snare, is exactly the same as all the MSG recordings. MSG sounds different to any other 1969 show, mainly in the drums and snare. This is audible in both the audience and official recordings.

Mathijs

Date: January 16, 2021 20:08

Mathijs
timbernardis

plexi

Although they sound good, I don't think they are soundboard in the true sense of the meaning. I think it is the audience microphone they put near the mixing desk to record the ambiance and audience.

Mathijs

OK. You're right. But as I said, close enough.

plexi

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 16, 2021 20:21

But being close to the soundboard is not at all the same as being connected through the soundboard.

jb

Date: January 20, 2021 08:22

i meant that the recordings on the albums are close enough to soundboard, wasnt referring to the physical location/proximity to the soundboard recording unit itself.

plexi

Date: January 20, 2021 12:02

jbwelda
But being close to the soundboard is not at all the same as being connected through the soundboard.

jb

What it is is a professionally recorded audience recording.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 20, 2021 12:37

Why were there no live recordings from the 1970 European tour dumped this year.And is it possible they will dump live shows from 1971-1973 in the next few years

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 20, 2021 16:17

Taylor1
Why were there no live recordings from the 1970 European tour dumped this year.And is it possible they will dump live shows from 1971-1973 in the next few years

This sounds like a good question to pose to Ronnie Schneider. Didn't he manage the European tour? GYYYO was their last contractual LP obligation to Decca, so tapes from the 1970 tour would never have ended up in the hands of their manager, Allen Klein. Thus ABKCO wouldn't have any recordings to use for a 2020 copyright dump.
(Is this correct reasoning? I'm so confused...)

Are the Stones likely to follow the suit of Dylan and begin yearly copyright dumps of material that they own exclusively?

Who among us can say? Who knows where the road will lead us? Where will it lead us from here?

Date: January 20, 2021 16:20

<GYYYO was their last contractual LP obligation to Decca, so tapes from the 1970 tour would never have ended up in the hands of their manager, Allen Klein. Thus ABKCO wouldn't have any recordings to use for a 2020 copyright dump>

Sounds plausible.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: January 20, 2021 20:51

Gold Stones era.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: January 21, 2021 00:51

Mathijs
JordyLicks96
A few questions. Does anyone know for sure the source of Stray Cat Blues? Listening to the Baltimore version, it sounds very similar to the one on GYYYO but not quite at the same time. It's a shame there's no complete bootleg of the MSG 11/28, 1st Show to know for sure.

Stray Cat is from MSG 28, 1st, by deduction. It certainly isn't Baltimore as the Taylor solo's are different and the drumming is different. The sound of the drums, especially the snare, is exactly the same as all the MSG recordings. MSG sounds different to any other 1969 show, mainly in the drums and snare. This is audible in both the audience and official recordings.

Mathijs

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the info. Gonna need to listen to both again. Is there any bootleg in circulation of Stray Cat from the MSG 28, 1st show?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 21, 2021 05:03

JordyLicks96
Mathijs
JordyLicks96

Mathijs

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the info. Gonna need to listen to both again. Is there any bootleg in circulation of Stray Cat from the MSG 28, 1st show?

Has this been posted?

January - February : London, Olympic Sound Studios and Trident Studios.
Mixing and overdubbing for the upcoming album Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.
Producers: Glyn Johns & The Rolling Stones. Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -New York City, 27.11.69
- Carol (Chuck Berry) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Stray Cat Blues (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -Baltimore, 26.11.69
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 2nd show
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Live With Me (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 2nd show
- Little Queenie (Chuck Berry) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show or
Baltimore 26.11.69
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: January 21, 2021 05:11

This is fantastic - it's not the GIMME SHELTER one!!!!!!

Date: January 21, 2021 06:09

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
Mathijs
JordyLicks96

Mathijs

Has this been posted?

January - February : London, Olympic Sound Studios and Trident Studios.
Mixing and overdubbing for the upcoming album Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.
Producers: Glyn Johns & The Rolling Stones. Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -New York City, 27.11.69
- Carol (Chuck Berry) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Stray Cat Blues (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -Baltimore, 26.11.69
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 2nd show
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Live With Me (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 2nd show
- Little Queenie (Chuck Berry) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -New York City, 28.11.69, 1st show or
Baltimore 26.11.69
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Street fighting Man saying it could be Baltimore too but I feel like it's definitely from MSG.

Date: January 21, 2021 12:45

GasLightStreet

Itis.And look at the quality of the film and the audio.So superior to Ladies and Gentlemen 1972.There the sound is muddled .The picture is blurry and the camera work is horrible.Everything is focuses on Jagger

Date: January 21, 2021 13:30

GasLightStreet

This is from Ya-Yas. Great indeed.

Date: January 21, 2021 15:30

Bill plays great on this.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 21, 2021 19:32

Keith is using different guitar voicings

Date: January 22, 2021 03:17

The Abcko dump included just the first three tracks from the 28th November 1969, 1st show. Two of these tracks: Carol and Sympathy for the Devil were used on Ya Yas with vocal overdubs replacing the original vocals. We know that a guitar overdub by Keith was later done on Carol but there hasn’t been much comment here about the overdubs on Sympathy for the Devil (probably the key track on the album along with MR. To what extent were overdubs used on this track? I will be interested in Chris M’s conclusions on this when he updated his webpage.

Date: January 22, 2021 03:29

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

This is from Ya-Yas. Great indeed.

I guess I haven't listened to that one enough. I just knew the audio wasn't from GIMME SHELTER, which is the better one, but it's easy to think that they were all awesome that year.

Date: January 22, 2021 04:14

Right Shoe Shuffle
The Abcko dump included just the first three tracks from the 28th November 1969, 1st show. Two of these tracks: Carol and Sympathy for the Devil were used on Ya Yas with vocal overdubs replacing the original vocals. We know that a guitar overdub by Keith was later done on Carol but there hasn’t been much comment here about the overdubs on Sympathy for the Devil (probably the key track on the album along with MR. To what extent were overdubs used on this track? I will be interested in Chris M’s conclusions on this when he updated his webpage.

Are you 100% sure about guitar overdubs? I thought, at least to my knowledge, there were no guitar overdubs that ended up making it onto the finished album.

Date: January 22, 2021 05:08

Maybe it is a matter of personal opinion but the rhythm guitar track in the left speaker is pure Keith IMO(who also plays lead guitar on Carol and other Chuck Berry tunes. He later replaced the Taylor rhythm guitar track with a studio overdub.

Date: January 22, 2021 10:31

JordyLicks96
Right Shoe Shuffle

Are you 100% sure about guitar overdubs? I thought, at least to my knowledge, there were no guitar overdubs that ended up making it onto the finished album.

You hear Keith playing the rhythm on Carol (and Little Queenie) while he's playing his solos smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home