Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: stones should take mick taylor on tour.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2009 18:11

71Tele
What were Bobby Keys' transgressions?

Got shitfaced on the '73 tour and couldnt make a gig - so they dumped him.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 4, 2009 18:18

bring back brian jones

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: December 4, 2009 18:29

Looking back over the last few tours how many 'fans' at the concerts were born in 1974. How many listen to 'Exile on Main Street'. My exwife and her friends go to Stones concerts and have heard of 'Miss You' and some of them may have a 'Greatest Hits' album. How many purchased the last Stones album? The Stones good a good visual live show with rockin hits and Mick, keef and Ronnie upfront. How many of these concert goers will be thrilled that Mick Taylor, who, is back..... will he look the part on stage like Ronnie. The Stones do not need Mick Taylor to sell out but all the 'fans' know about Ronnie, espeacially now, and would miss him.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 4, 2009 18:37

<< Got shitfaced on the '73 tour and couldnt make a gig - so they dumped him. >>

I remember '81 tour when they had Ernie Watts on Sax, but brought out Bobby Keys for one song. I thought it was very odd.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 4, 2009 19:27

sheesh! six pages of "stones should take mick taylor on tour."

Date: December 4, 2009 21:53

<< sheesh! six pages of "stones should take mick taylor on tour." >>

Maybe that means that Taylor's playing is still sorely missed. I know I feel that way. He was replaced by someone who could not fill his shoes, and never has grown into them, despite the many years and many opportunities.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 4, 2009 22:12

>>>Maybe that means that Taylor's playing is still sorely missed. I know I feel that way. He was replaced by someone who could not fill his shoes, and never has grown into them, despite the many years and many opportunities.

Well said.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 4, 2009 22:32

Bliss
>>>Maybe that means that Taylor's playing is still sorely missed. I know I feel that way. He was replaced by someone who could not fill his shoes, and never has grown into them, despite the many years and many opportunities.

Well said.

Yep, instead he replaced his incapabilities as a guitarplayer with clowning around IMHO. However, he´s had his bright moments, but they´re too far in between, even though I´ll give him some credit for stepping up, and filling in for Keith the last tour. But as anyone know, that´s not enough, that´s why all the sidemen (and Lisa) are brought in to fill in. As for bringing in Taylor, well, I think he could do it, since he was more in the Bill Wyman school of stage presence, meaning, not moving at all. But that won´t happen of course, how much us "Taylorites" would want too. But really, me being negative won´t help at all, or make any difference, and I do love my Stones, and can´t live without them, so Ronnie it is, the next time around, I think. And I´ll be happy going to as many gigs I can afford. Just my 2 cents, even though they´re probably not even worth that. smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: December 4, 2009 23:12

<< Yep, instead he replaced his incapabilities as a guitarplayer with clowning around IMHO. However, he´s had his bright moments, but they´re too far in between, even though I´ll give him some credit for stepping up, and filling in for Keith the last tour. But as anyone know, that´s not enough, that´s why all the sidemen (and Lisa) are brought in to fill in. >>

Ronnie did a nice job on Some Girls. The pedal steel added something unique. But his function in the band was more as a clown and sidekick than a musician. I remember when Ronnie joined, and I thought it was a good choice at the time, but he has failed musically (with a very few notable exceptions) IMO. The Stones took a step down musically when he became part of the band. He has been a "project" almost the whole time since. It's an embarassment...There is substance behind the nostalgia for Taylor that the Taylor-haters don't seem to understand. Given a choice between a broken-down Wood and a broken-down Taylor, I'd take the latter every time. That's if there really WAS a choice.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 5, 2009 03:25

if this is the last time,take taylor out on tour and shitcan blondie. get him in rehab, get him in shape and let him rip. pay him what he deserves. love to hear his lead work in "SFTD", "heartbreaker", "TWFNO"," ADTL", "street fighting man", "stray cat blues", "gimme shelter"," sway","bitch" and the list goes on and on. at least we could hear what a lead guitar is supposed sound like in concert. keith needs all the help he can get as indicated by his 2006 live version of "little T&A". a great song that was painful to watch and hear.

woody's solo on "heartbreaker" and "YCAGWYW" and "all down the line" makes me cringe most of the time. his slide work on "far away eyes" and "out of tears" is quite tasty though.

Date: December 5, 2009 03:46

Can you imagine the dynamic to the sound and the professionalism of the Stones if he was to be playing with them again. He is close to the Garcia persona of the Dead. I said close....

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die!

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: December 6, 2009 06:28

Having Mick Taylor back would be incredible.....To hear solos thyat make sense again would be great...Ronnie was geat from 75-78 with the Stones and before that Fantastic with The Faces. But lets face it Ronnie has been very underwhelming for the last 20 years. He wanders aimlessly around the neck or he plays the same ole leads...Time to take a trip down memory lane and let Mick Play...Sweet Vibrato

Soul

Posted by: EST62 ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:14

Ronnie really hasn't gotten into any more trouble or mischief than the other stones. He's just doing it in the present time period. Mick and Keith in the early years were notorius for hell raising, womanizing and various other less then desirable actions.
They have matured and become more business like and graceful in their old age, but it took many years to rid themselves of the bad boys label. Many bands of course have gone through the same periods in their careers as well. I wish Ronnie well but in my opinion he never even came close to Mick Taylor. Not many guitarists have either.
I would try to sign Mick Taylor for a final tour and go out smoking rather than go with Ronnie and yet another rehash of past tours.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:28

ronnie was at his best in the faces!

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:30

I thought Mick Taylor was having health problems, went to the hospital or something. He's a chain smoker, he might keel over from excitement in the middle of the tour lol. I don't know how he's playing now, but I saw him with John Mayall in ('82?) in DC at the wax museum, and he was unbelievable.

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:47

If there is one thing that would really excite me is seeing something like this. Rather than Mick T going on a full world tour, how about a week residency with him at the Albert Hall? The Stones could play homage to their past with an awesome live recording and film. I know it is only a dream, but you cannot help thinking what might be?

Posted by: Cathy ()
Date: December 6, 2009 20:08

How about multitalent JIM MORTIMORE?!?!!!!!

Jim Mortimore
double bass, electric and acoustic guitars, and vocals
Jim Mortimore is a musician, composer, DJ, engineer and producer. He has worked with Herbie Flowers, Chip Taylor, PP Arnold, Geoff Muldaur, Arthur Brown, Big Sugar, Turning Green, Shona Foster, My Rocket 88. Jim co-produced, mixed, played electric and acoustic guitars on 'Act of Faith'. Jim composes music for film and theatre productions, Lyric theatre London being one of his recent credits and is currently much in demand as a double bass player and producer.
[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 6, 2009 21:39

>>>Ronnie really hasn't gotten into any more trouble or mischief than the other stones. He's just doing it in the present time period. Mick and Keith in the early years were notorius for hell raising,

None of the other Stones have ever been arrested for publicly assaulting a woman, though Brian was certainly guilty of that behind closed doors.

None of them have ever been in the tabloids for so long about their private life.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: December 7, 2009 03:28

I would love to have Mick Taylor back in the lineup,but he might "play too loud" or expect some decent pay.It really hurts me to say this but,it's not going to happen.

Date: December 7, 2009 07:11

Funny that Keith complained more than once about Taylor being too loud when Keith's always the loudest guy on the stage and usually twice as loud as Ronnie.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 7, 2009 07:25

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: December 7, 2009 10:19

Why are we still discussing this?

MICK TAYLOR IS NOT GOING TO GO ON TOUR WITH THE STONES

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 7, 2009 11:11

NickB
Why are we still discussing this?

Simple.

We are discussing it because the idea of their taking Taylor on tour is more exciting than the prospect of another tour with Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-07 11:13 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 7, 2009 11:25

Wasn´t Ronnie at certain time(s) the link who kept the whole thing running
or is it just a myth ?

If true,beside his musical contribution ( which was sometimes debatable )
he kept the Stones in a certain balance and stability others would have fail to.

So there was a time Ronnie showed a competence and reputation within the band which he might has lost over the years
but Mick Taylor probably never had...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 7, 2009 12:13

"I would try to sign Mick Taylor for a final tour and go out smoking rather than go with Ronnie and yet another rehash of past tours."

So thats all down to Ronnie? Nothing to do with Jagger Richards or Watts?

9.9 outta 10 people have never even heard of MT let know owt about him.

It'll never happen!! Loyalty is loyalty and RW has stayed with the stones longer than MT and BJ put together. He certainly hasn't walked out even though his treatment has been appalling at times.

The Stones are at the tail end of their career. There's no real ehthusiasm to be creative in a new direction. The band will remain as it is till the end....

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 7, 2009 15:05

ablett
The Stones are at the tail end of their career. There's no real ehthusiasm to be creative in a new direction. The band will remain as it is till the end....

Bummer. Nothing to look forward to, then.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:11

Whether or not people are familair with Taylor, he would improve the guitar section. It is strange that the same people who insist they shouldn't use Taylor due to his obscurity, insist the Stones should play obscure songs to improve the show. Interesting.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:17

I want DICK Taylor back.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:18

Time waits for no one ....and not ole MT

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:23

You're towing the issue - the misguided point was Taylor would sell more tickets. THAT is what seems odd, to think that someone who was in the band 35 or however many years ago will help sell tickets.

They don't need help selling tickets. They just need to stop touring so much in the same places. Playing 54 shows in Chicago on one tour would probably involve a lot of empty seats - especially when they're dumb enough to rent Soldier Field when it's zero degrees out and the set list hasn't changed in 200 years from the previous Chicago date, which was probably two weeks before.

If they tour in 10 it will have only been 5 years since they last started a tour, 3 years since they stopped.

That's just not enough time.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home