Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith & Taylor, Miles & Trane
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: November 28, 2009 14:13

Suddenly crossed my mind; the way the stripped-down, groovy Keith solo is followed by the flourished, virtuosic solo of Taylor on Ya Ya's Sympathy reminds me of how Miles' minimalistic solos are followed by Coltrane's outbursts on Kind Of Blue. Just a Saturday morning thought...

Re: Keith & Taylor, Miles & Trane
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2009 14:43

[www.hungercity.org]

Miles Davis Quintet with John Coltrane
Peacock Alley
St. Louis, MO
Feb. 16, 1957
Feb. 23, 1957
FM

Miles Davis - tp
John Coltrane - ts
William "Red" Garland - p
Paul Chambers - b
Philly Joe Jones - d
Spider Burks - announcer

2/16/57
1. Intro/announcement
2. Ah-Leu-Cha
3. A Foggy Day
4. All of You
5. Woody 'N You
6. Walkin'

2/23/57:
7. Two Bass Hit
8. Well You Needn't
9. Billy Boy
10. All of You
11. Oleo
12. Airegin/The Theme
13. Announcement/sign off

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 28, 2009 14:56

otonneau
Suddenly crossed my mind; the way the stripped-down, groovy Keith solo is followed by the flourished, virtuosic solo of Taylor on Ya Ya's Sympathy reminds me of how Miles' minimalistic solos are followed by Coltrane's outbursts on Kind Of Blue. Just a Saturday morning thought...

It's not only on Kind of Blue, it's on every recording they did together, I remember watching this interview with Miles Davis where he sad that he was always saying to Coltrane :"Man why do your solos always last so @#$%& long" and Coltrane would answer: "I'm playing it until I got it right" or something like that.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 28, 2009 15:14

Never thought of the link,but I see what you mean.

sc uk

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2009 16:45

Imho the 1st kinda sucks but the 2nd... OMG!
SQ is poor, only g/g+, it's not a SB, it's really a vintage AM broadcast

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:27

The other jazz player I sometimes think of in connection with Keef The Riffer, is Count Basie. In his younger days, Basie played a lot. His piano style, particularly his left hand, set the groove and and dominated the music. As he got older, Basie played less and less, still setting the tone of his band, but contributing as much with his presence, his history, and the the occasional, but vital accent as he did with his playing.

I used to think that Basie, like Keith had lost some of his ability as he aged. Then I saw an interview he gave with Ralph Gleason. Gleason asked him to play a little in the old style. Basie hesitated for a moment, then let go a blast of beautiful, driving piano.

Both Keith and Basie evolved as players, figuring out more subtle, nuanced ways to drive a band.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 28, 2009 18:57

I can hear a sax player's phrasing in some on Mick's playing so I get the comparison you are making otonneau. I wish Keith and Mick had done more back to back solos togehter...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 28, 2009 21:36

otonneau

or cannonball's solos for that matter...folks tend to forget his contributions....

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: November 29, 2009 01:12

What a beautiful thought. Yes, Miles and Coltrane were absolutely wonderful. I also love the soloing between Cannonball Adderley and his brother Nat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home