Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guardian review of Get Yer Ya Ya's
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 29, 2009 13:40

squando
Man that was hard to wade thru. The guy likes going on. He clearly dislikes the Stones so why review them?
He's a Betales / Robbie Willaims kind of guy - likes easygoing pop music - at least in his reviews, where he gives them 5 / 4 stars.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: November 29, 2009 14:11

I sent an e-mail to the music editor of The Guardian:

Why does Alexis Petridis write about "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" or The Rolling Stones? He obviously doesn't understand much of it. The version of "Sympathy for the Devil" is my favourite version of it. There are better versions of "Stray Cat Blues" and "Midnight Rambler", but this is brilliant music, not "a bloated disaster" (SCcool smiley, or "plods on and on as if the murderer despatched his victims by boring them to death" (MR).

"Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" is a fantastic album, the best non-bootleg rock live album I've heard, and one of the best rock albums, and perhaps the best non-bootleg live album!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 29, 2009 17:57

Ringo

Why does Alexis Petridis write about "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" or The Rolling Stones? He obviously doesn't understand much of it. The version of "Sympathy for the Devil" is my favourite version of it. There are better versions of "Stray Cat Blues" and "Midnight Rambler", but this is brilliant music, not "a bloated disaster" (SCcool smiley, or "plods on and on as if the murderer despatched his victims by boring them to death" (MR).

"Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" is a fantastic album, the best non-bootleg rock live album I've heard, and one of the best rock albums, and perhaps the best non-bootleg live album!

Ahhh ! This sounds good .Thanks !!
I wish I could do /have done it it /if English was my native langage ...
just like one of the poster here did it on another review (I can 't remember neither the thread,not the poster...)

Obviouly, the man doesn't like the Rolling Stones ,does he ??BTW ,is he a Guardian's music(al ) critic ??
What a pity !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Another review of Get Yer Ya Ya's
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 29, 2009 18:11

Ringo

I think the studio version is better than the Ya-Ya's version (which still is brilliant), but here's my favourite version - Leeds 1971

That was awesome. I'm going to get out one of copies on LP & put it on the turntable right now.

And, SwayStones, your English is great.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-29 23:56 by misterfrias.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 29, 2009 22:38

Doxa
I wrote my thoughts about this 'review' in the long Ya-Yas's thread (where it is as well as some other idiot review) but I copypaste my point here as well:

What bugs me is that when a new Stones album is released it is praised to hell no matter how mediocre it is. That's been the rule since I remember. From UNDERCOVER on. I think it also shows a lot of idiocy from a paper to let people who obviously are anti-Stones to review an album that without ANY reasonable doubt is a part of modern cultural history. The same would be if the re-issues of the Beatles catalog would be given to be reviewed by a person who does not appreciate the band at all.

There are things that go beyond the average capacity of 'critic' to an effect that an opinion of a random person does not mean a shit any longer. If one does not 'get it' why something is appreciated as much at it is, and as important as it is, I think a decent person with a minimal judgment will look at a mirror or at least understands to be shut up. Or a decent media would have a dignity enough to not release such a crap.

- Doxa

Absolutely spot on, Doxa.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 29, 2009 23:21

Ringo

I sent this to the editor on Friday, don't expect a reply.

"Alexis Petridis's critique of the Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out was about as critically robust as his dating of the accompanying picture as being "around 1972". Ronnie Wood, who first performed live with the Stones in 1975, is clearly visible. Petridis is supposed to be a professional Rock critic, right?"

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 29, 2009 23:48

"Opinions are like as*holes, everybody got one, and they stink"
Dirty Harry.
Feel free to replace "opinions" with "music reviewer" and everybody with "any rag".

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-29 23:52 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 29, 2009 23:50

I guess he missed the day they taught 'unbiased' at the pansy school for journalists.

Obviously hates the Stones.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 29, 2009 23:57

Well at least it's a review, unlike the one in the new issue of Mojo:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 30, 2009 00:33

Picture included in this guardian article concerning a live album originally released
1970 from shows of 1969...

"Mick Jagger struts across the stage at a Rolling Stones concert, around 1972. Photograph: Neal Preston/Corbis"

Hope they are going to tell when and where this "Rolling Stones concert,around 1972" took place...

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: November 30, 2009 00:36

Hmm...To my mind, it`s not that bad when decent-official-clean-sober press barks at rock stuff. I`d prefere it`d bark at the Stones` last album (and some new that I `m dreaming for so much) although. It`d be a fine sign people see in them acting cultural force (or countercultural)), not just legend and history, without any danger. Only complete veterans(or other weak persons) are not for critisizing and hurting... Maybe they`ll be banned somewhere for indecent lyrics or manners,why not? Or for dirty sexual without-computer-playng...)))

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 30, 2009 00:37

I knew it's all Ronnie Wood on Ya-Ya's, I just knew it! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 1, 2009 11:53

shortfatfanny
Picture included in this guardian article concerning a live album originally released
1970 from shows of 1969...

"Mick Jagger struts across the stage at a Rolling Stones concert, around 1972. Photograph: Neal Preston/Corbis"

Hope they are going to tell when and where this "Rolling Stones concert,around 1972" took place...

Hé hé...I was so magpied by the review that I even didnt noticed that one under the photo.
"Around 1972 " ...I can't believe it !

Ringo & Studiorambo ,any answer back to your e-mails ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: December 1, 2009 12:30

Not as yet.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: December 1, 2009 13:13

He sounds alot like that Paul Cashmere fella.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: Another review of Get Yer Ya Ya's
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 1, 2009 14:01

studiorambo

Should stick to writing about faggy-looking mens shirts, and leave Ya-Ya's to Lester fuking Bangs.

AGREED. He looks like a British version of Mr. Furley from Three's Company.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 1, 2009 15:59

I dont even want to discuss whether YaYas is great or not, or whether Stray Cat Blues, Midnight Rambler and Sympathy For The Devil on YaYas are great or not. YaYas as a whole gave me goosesbumps when I first listened to it many many years ago and it still thrills me today.

Hell, whats next? Love In Vain on YaYas just plain boring? To each their own, but some opinions just show me that its not even worth discussing them.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 1, 2009 20:38

It's patently obvious from the kind of childish, peurile drivel that is served before us, that this this Alexis Petridis guy is clearly out of his depth in terms of attempting to review something as historically significant and groundbreaking as Ya Yas. I mean, we're talking here about arguably the greatest album ever, of all time, by anyone.

However, like so many newspapers these days, the Guardian is clearly going through very tough times, and is apparently on it's last legs; all of which might explain why they were desperate enough to hire the services of this jumped-up, freelance no-brainer in the first place.

...and as for that shirt.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home