Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Black and Blue - Not A Favorite
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:32

One thing that impresses me about IORR is the wide disparity of opinion within a group of people who all love the same band. I am surprised at the popularity of the BAB album, as it's never been a favorite of mine. Here are my points against it:

1. It's a transitional album due to MT's departure. I am not sure the plethora of guitarists serves the album that well.

2. Maudlin ballads that border on self-parody: There is a difference between deep emotion ("Coming Down Again", "100 Years Ago", "Wild Horses", etc) and mere sentimentality. "Fool To Cry" is the latter. Even the much-loved "Memory Motel" is cheesy lyrically and Jagger's delivery doesn't help (love the Keith vocal part though).

3. Too Much Billy! Just too much Billy Preston. I love the guy as a supporting player, but he became too dominant in the band, as Keith later asserted.

4. Only eight songs!! And one of them an uninspired cover. It seemed the writers were short of inspiration.

All in all, a weak effort from a tired-sounding band. "Some Girls" sounded amazingly fresh and vital in contrast two years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 00:35 by 71Tele.

Re: Black and Blue - Not A Favorite
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:41

my opinion has a wide disparity from yours
Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are worth the price alone...

Really fun 70's style Stones.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:43

Agree with Munichhilton.
Heavy stuff, interesting era between reggae, glam and punk rock yet to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 00:46 by Back Of My Palm.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:45

Keith Richards said that they only did this album to test guitarplayers.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:47

Also reckon Jimmy Page made the 12-string guitar arrangements to Stairway to Heaven in order to test strings too.

Date: November 27, 2009 00:47

<< Keith Richards said that they only did this album to test guitarplayers. >>

And it sounds like it! I do love "Hand of Fate". I thought the Allman Bros. style guitar break in "Crazy Mama" was very un-Stones sounding.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 27, 2009 00:59

One of the best guitar solos on any Rolling Stones effort is that of Harvey Mandell's on "Hand of Fate". It is IMO, the last great guitar solo on any Stones CD in 33 years. As close to a Mick Taylor solo as you are going to get as Mandell is a master of ascending and descending a guitars fretboard as anyone.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:04

wayne perkins played the solo on hand of fate.it's great!

Date: November 27, 2009 01:16

microvibe- You are correct! It is Wayne Perkins indeed. Thank you. My mistake.Mandell is on" Black and Blue", but not on this song.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:22

Opinions of the Stones on their albums is one thing
but I ignored the album for a much too long time.

What a mistake.

Memory Motel is a song...beyond desrciption.

Beside Cherry Oh Baby and Fool To Cry the six songs lift me up regularly.

And the sound - superb !!!

Date: November 27, 2009 01:37

I agree that one could close one's eyes on Hand of fate and hear Mick Taylor. Sublime solo. But I didn't say the album was a total loss, or had no good moments - just that it wasn't a favorite of mine.

I wonder if they didn't pick Perkins in part because he sounded TOO MUCH like MT.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:49

black and blue could have been a really good album, but its too short and half the songs dont impress.

pity really because it has a great sound quality to it.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:53

weakest album in 70 th

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:54

I totally love Black and Blue!

Date: November 27, 2009 02:10

As I suspected, this is an album that really divides the fans...

Date: November 27, 2009 02:11

Your not listening hard enough.
Get in the pocket of the guitar sound and grooove!

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: November 27, 2009 02:32

Here's a nice review of the album by a fellow called
George Starostin

[starling.rinet.ru]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2009 02:48

Easy solution 71 ...... Ya don't dig then don't play it ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2009 02:49

<< Your not listening hard enough. Get in the pocket of the guitar sound and grooove! >>

No, Who'sDriving, I have listened as hard as the hardest-core Stones fan. It sounds strangely antiseptic to me. As for guitar, there are at least ten Stones albums with a better "groove" as far as guitar goes.

And by the way, what's the deal with the "inspiration by" credit for Melody and Hey Negrita? I always thought this was a lame way of avoiding giving co-writing credit to Billy Preston and Ronnie for those songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 02:53 by 71Tele.

Date: November 27, 2009 02:51

<< Easy solution 71 ...... Ya don't dig then don't play it ....>>

I'm playing it now. Not something that needs a "solution", just expressing a viewpoint.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2009 02:55

71Tele
And by the way, what's the deal with the "inspiration by" credit for Melody and Hey Negrita? I always thought this was a lame way of avoiding giving co-writing credit to Billy Preston and Ronnie for those songs.

..and you would be correct

Date: November 27, 2009 03:02

I'm playing it now.

Careful it might get ya and you'll end up groooovin' & movin' right on out inta da streets ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2009 03:05

<< Careful it might get ya and you'll end up groooovin' & movin' right on out inta da streets .. >>

It might! It's still the Stones... I was almost there with Hand of Fate, but the silly rendition of Cherry Oh Baby kept me inside.

Date: November 27, 2009 03:20

Love the Cherry-Oh ....
Purest bare-bones reggae the Stones
have laid down.........Along with Feel On Baby 12" .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 27, 2009 04:55

I was so-so on it for many years but I really like it now. I am in the minority for both of the following but I absolutely love "Melody" and I think "Hand of fate" is a lemon.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 27, 2009 05:39

first bought the album on cassette in 1988 heard the first notes of hot stuff and was hooked hand of fate is one of the most underrated rockers the stones ever did cherry og baby i'm not much of a reggae person but this song is ok. could of been shorter . memory moteltook me a few yrs to really like this song, keith's vocal part has more honesty to it than mick's hey negrita god i love this song , whenever i get it in my head that ronnie wood is replaceable in the stones all i have to do is play this song and i'm in awe of his talent once again. melody weakest song on the album, it's ok but about 2 minutes longer than it needs to be. fool to cry great slow song crazy mama an awesome rocker, derserved to be on side one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 05:39 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 27, 2009 06:18

Never been able to make it to the end of the album without falling asleep.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 27, 2009 07:03

I think more here than meets the eye. I think they should have had a few more songs as it too brief. I really love Wayne Perkins and think he would have been a technically better choice to replace Taylor, but I think the band needed the personality (energy) the Ronnie gave them at the time. Not sure if the band would have survived without him.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Date: November 27, 2009 07:33

71 tele & Saturn- Perkins did a great job on HOF indeed. It is nice to listen to
the lead guitar and a great guitar solo on any Stones recording. Wonder why Perkins never did any follow up work with them.
I learned to play this solo many years ago. It is one of the most creative solos of any artist, that I have ever learned to play, note for note.
Got me to thinking, since MT left, what has been the best guitar solo/lead guitar work in a Stones song?

Date: November 27, 2009 07:52

<< I learned to play this solo many years ago. It is one of the most creative solos of any artist, that I have ever learned to play, note for note. >>

The rhythm part is fun to play too. Minor chord in open G.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home