Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

omg - The Sun on the Stones again^^
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 30, 2006 16:38

MICK JAGGER really is getting old.
The rocker forgot the words to the ROLLING STONES’ classic Ruby Tuesday during the band’s Glasgow gig on Friday – and sang the same verse twice.
You’d think he’d have nailed the song by now . . .

also all over german media - Jagger uses a tele promter, cause he's getting old....

Re: omg - The Sun on the Stones again^^
Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 30, 2006 17:08

He already sang the verse of Let's spend to the night together in 1981 Hampton twice. Remember the recording Still life?
So what's the point anyway.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2006 17:13

Who cares? BTW, doesn't he have a teleprompter?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2006 17:13

Im amazed theres anyone at The Sun sober enough to know any of the words to Ruby Tuesday or with enough musical taste to have even heard of it.

Fúckin arseclags

Date: August 30, 2006 17:14

No point at all - the damn sun gossip spillers wouldn't even remember what they wrote yesterday, nevermind 40 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-30 17:15 by open-g.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 30, 2006 17:21

What an incredible childish remark with that picture.

Posted by: Brumstone ()
Date: August 30, 2006 17:53

Surely the whole point of life R n R is to accept it warts and all?

It shows that the artists are human and that technological polishing is for the studio?

I positively welcome such instances, gigs are LIVE and as such will include such "mistakes". It's what makes live music so special.

With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 30, 2006 18:06

You can read lyrics prompter from on stage seat.
It is a state of the art Karaoke machine. It might go wrong at Glasgow.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 30, 2006 18:14

Wrote it in another thread....

Everybody uses monitors or similar equipment today....

Newsreaders do it, actors in theaters do it (have done it with other techniques for hundreds of years - why do you think they have a box in the middle of the stage), speakers on conferences do it, lectureres do it.....

Is it because they are too old?? No..... what is the purpose of remembering every single song or other things, when you have modern equipment....

In school, most students don't use their time on learning to memorising songs, frases, etc.... those times have gone..... the world has changed..... probably with the execptin of the Sun.... there they are still drinking their brains empty....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2006 18:19

Michael Stipe of REM has used a lyrics stand for years - in full view of the audience. Funny how no age obsessed journalist accuses him of doing it because he's decrepit,

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 30, 2006 18:24

Beautiful South did, so did Elvis on some numbers.......

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 30, 2006 22:38

In Saturdays 'Sun' there was a two page review of the Hampden concert
stating that although they were old & wrinkly the 'Stones' once again proved that they were still the greatest live band in the world.
Then within a few days the silly ageist statements about the 'Stones' return.
What a bunch of fuc--g hypocrits write clap trap for papers like the 'Sun'.
They continually cannot resist being ageist about the 'Stones' and these cheap shots just prove how small minded these people are.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: August 30, 2006 22:50

I have not bought a News Paper for at least 16yrs.

They very rarely have any News in them so whats the point.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: August 30, 2006 22:58

Brumstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surely the whole point of life R n R is to accept
> it warts and all?
>
> It shows that the artists are human and that
> technological polishing is for the studio?
>
> I positively welcome such instances, gigs are LIVE
> and as such will include such "mistakes". It's
> what makes live music so special.

Absolutely right...if you want clean versions of everything listen to the records. A live concert is just that...live!! Any musician will tell you of the times chords have suddenly become mysterious , malevolent beasts that curl your fingers in unexplained and unpleasant ways or the middle eight gets replaced by a verse, verses get in the wrong order etc. It's called having fun !!!

Chris

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 31, 2006 03:10

Well I think we all can be honest with eachother and admit Mick messes up song lyrics ALL THE TIME! Not just to more rarly played tunes like Ruby Tuesday..but songs he's been singing for 20 30+ years show after show! (BS, YCAGWYW, IORR..etc)

I'm not Mick bashing...I love him as does everyone here, but there have been many occasions at every show I've been to or heard, (especially in recent tours) that he has forgotten lyrics, came in late or early, etc... If I can remember all the right lyrics and the right places to sing em, can't Mick? He only wrote most of them?

Going back and studying the words is something that is obviously not a priority for him. Sometimes when this happens it throws the arrangment of the song off, but the band is good at keeping it together usually.

But what I always thought was funny it that even WITH the teleprompter he still consistly flubs the lyrics.

I love the guy, but it wouldn't kill him to do his homework on lyrics now & then. He doesn't even know/remember what albums the songs were from. I never understood this. If I can memorize everything, surely he could too if he cared to.

Date: August 31, 2006 03:30

>>But what I always thought was funny it that even WITH the teleprompter he still consistly flubs the lyrics. <<

there, you got it.
he's not even having a glance at the damn thing - but it feels good to know it's there.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 31, 2006 08:58

The only thing that's getting old is those newspapers and their constant bickering about "The stars".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 31, 2006 15:48

Limbostone Wrote:
> What an incredible childish remark with that
> picture.

yes, it's unbelievable. i thought there would be some accompanying story that would explain it but it must just be a comment about him crossing his legs!

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: August 31, 2006 16:03

lettingitbleed Wrote:
> Well I think we all can be honest with eachother
> and admit Mick messes up song lyrics ALL THE TIME!
> Not just to more rarly played tunes like Ruby
> Tuesday..but songs he's been singing for 20 30+
> years show after show! (BS, YCAGWYW, IORR..etc)
>
> I'm not Mick bashing...I love him as does everyone
> here, but there have been many occasions at every
> show I've been to or heard, (especially in recent
> tours) that he has forgotten lyrics, came in late
> or early, etc... If I can remember all the right
> lyrics and the right places to sing em, can't
> Mick? He only wrote most of them?
>
> Going back and studying the words is something
> that is obviously not a priority for him.
> Sometimes when this happens it throws the
> arrangment of the song off, but the band is good
> at keeping it together usually.
>
> But what I always thought was funny it that even
> WITH the teleprompter he still consistly flubs the
> lyrics.
>
> I love the guy, but it wouldn't kill him to do his
> homework on lyrics now & then. He doesn't even
> know/remember what albums the songs were from. I
> never understood this. If I can memorize
> everything, surely he could too if he cared to.

Well, your point holds some truth in it and especially "Brown Sugar" is a constant challenge for our most loved hero (starting with second verse, coming in late or early etc.) and all that happens in spite of the usage of teleprompters and click tracks and all that crap.
But what you have to consider is this: Going out in front of 50 000 people (sometimes more, sometimes less) is a new challenge EVERY TIME (and that's good, because without the thrill, the Stones would have stopped touring long ago), but that also includes that it can be overwhelming at times or that you just have one moment of not being focused enough and I think that's when these f'*k up's happen.
But I don't blame Jagger at all for this, in contrary, this makes him even more lovable (after all he's a human being too!) and after all it's Rock'n'Roll, isn't it ?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 31, 2006 16:14

What amazes me is that all of a sudden the teleprompter story is all over the news. It was in the news here in holland, it is in England and i guess all over Europe. He uses the teleprompter since '89!!!!!! How can they not notice it all those year and now all of sudden "Oh my god, jagger uses a teleprompter".

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: August 31, 2006 16:27

C'est la fin des haricots!!!

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 31, 2006 16:31

In any case, who gives a shit anyway?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 31, 2006 18:13

First heard and saw about teleprompters some ten years ago: Elton John playing on a festival with a little "tv-set" on his piano. He looked all the time at the teleprompter, sang all his best-ofs and never looked to the audience! Suddenly that thing must have gone off. He gestured terribly to his roadies, singing complete rubbish until that thing worked again...
Keith and Ronnie should have one. I don't mind if it's there unless Mick starts playing piano...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home