Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Faces will tour without Rod Stewart in 2010
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 18, 2009 13:25

From www.nme.com

The Faces have admitted they may hit the road in 2010 without frontman Rod Stewart.

The band, who played a Royal Albert Hall show in London last month, did so without their original singer Stewart, with a number of guests taking on vocal duties.

Keyboardist Ian McLagan has now said he will join the other surviving members - guitarist Ronnie Wood and drummer Kenney Jones - for a jaunt without Stewart.

"If we don't do it very soon, one of us is gonna check out," he said. "I'm 64, for Christ's sake! We've been waiting and waiting for Rod to say yes; now he's finally said no. He's busy doing other shit. So we're going to do it."

His comments come despite Stewart giving his strongest indication yet that he would return to his old band just last month.

"The world's our oyster here," McLagan told Billboard. "It will still be Ronnie, Kenney and me. We're just steaming right ahead."

He said Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall is likely to fill in on vocals again and he would like to recruit Sex Pistols' Glen Matlock on bass.

Faces split up in 1975 after guitarist Wood began playing with The Rolling Stones.

Re: Faces will tour without Rod Stewart in 2010
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2009 14:28

It's also being reported on Reuters and The Examiner.

[www.reuters.com]

[www.examiner.com]

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 18, 2009 14:41

useless tour

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 18, 2009 14:51

Great, if they finally do it.
The promotors have been very negative when it comes to including Rod Stewart on the tour. (This can be confirmed by other posters here, too!) He has a reputation for being quite a difficult primadonna, in addition to having lost most of his vocal capability.
But I'm sure the rest of the guys are competent enough!
However they can't count on Ronnie's participation for more than a couple of months in 2010. He'll have his hands full with that other band of his. cool smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 18, 2009 15:13

An opportunity to see and hear one of the greatest bands ever. What a terrific line-up of musicians. The vocalist isn't that overly important when you have Wood/McLagan/Jones grooving away.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 15:34

Just one problem for a Faces reunion: The Stones. Or is Ronnie out of the band?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 18, 2009 15:44

There is no problem to perform with other bands while the Stones are not on tour. Charlie is having great fun and keeping the engine running with Ben Waters and his boogie woogie band these days. I guess the problem is Rod Stewart may be, and also to do a whole tour Ronnie needs to book a large slot in time, and time is not available for that long now...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 18, 2009 15:45

Unless the tours conflict, Ronnie should be largely free until August presuming the Stones tour kicks off in September. Ronnie's contributions in the studio after VOODOO LOUNGE have been negligible so he's free and clear. For that matter, we don't even know there will be a new Stones album. Perhaps they will tour behind the rumored box set of hits and rarities.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 18, 2009 15:52

Rocky Dijon
For that matter, we don't even know there will be a new Stones album. Perhaps they will tour behind the rumored box set of hits and rarities.

A Canadian radio station (Shore FM) apparently reported the other day that Mick and Keith are currently writing songs for a new album.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: November 18, 2009 16:23

Beast
Rocky Dijon
For that matter, we don't even know there will be a new Stones album. Perhaps they will tour behind the rumored box set of hits and rarities.

A Canadian radio station (Shore FM) apparently reported the other day that Mick and Keith are currently writing songs for a new album.

That would be good but do Mick and Keith actually write songs together anymore? My impression is that they get to the studio and Mick has some songs and Keith adds a bit because he feels obliged to and that's the album ready. It would be nice to think that the two of them are sitting together somewhere locked away and writing songs together but I don't think that's how it works anymore. Maybe they're both writing songs seperately.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:00

Here's hoping that Ronnie makes it to the main recording sessions for the next Stones album despite the Faces tour because overdubbing cannot bring you the guitar weaving.

Mick Hucknall has officially parted ways with his Simply Red moniker and Rod Stewart has covered "I You Don't Know Me By Now" which was a big hit for Simply Red in the late 80s. So maybe the two singers are just switching audiences ;-)

Now let's hear Mick Hucknall sing "Stay With Me" and Rod Stewart sing "Fairground".

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:05

carlostones10
Just one problem for a Faces reunion: The Stones. Or is Ronnie out of the band?
The Stones arenĀ“t in tour now. But they will be in tour in 2010! I wait. :-)

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:05

Mick Hucknall has officially parted ways with his Simply Red moniker and Rod Stewart has covered "I You Don't Know Me By Now" which was a big hit for Simply Red in the late 80s. So maybe the two singers are just switching audiences ;-)

No offense:

If You Don't Know Me By Now" was originally written and performed by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes led by Teddy Pendergrass.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:06

What do they have to write about? A mosquito in their cocktail? A flea on their HDTV? Ha ha. It will be the usual - some songs will sound like Mick/Keith songs, some will sound like Mick songs, some like Keith songs.

Anyone hoping for something really good/classic had better just go listen to those albums.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:27

I think a Faces tour would have had trouble filling arenas WITH Rod. Without him, it's a theatre tour. Very SMALL theatres. Mac visits Detroit this Saturday. Wasn't really planning on going, as it's just him (no Bump Band), and he's opening for someone else, but if I do go, I'll ask him what kind of venues he has in mind for the Faces tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 17:28 by tatters.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:37

tatters
I think a Faces tour would have had trouble filling arenas WITH Rod. Without him, it's a theatre tour. Very SMALL theatres. Mac visits Detroit this Saturday. Wasn't really planning on going, as it's just him (no Bump Band), and he's opening for someone else, but if I do go, I'll ask him what kind of venues he has in mind for the Faces tour.

Probably small venues, but that's allright with me! On the other hand, the Faces 2.0 would sell out the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam (capacity 4.000).

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:40

Let it go, guys. There's no Faces without Rod, no matter what you think about him. It's getting really pathetic watching these aging has-beens trying to return to their youth. 1973 was 36 years ago, and it ain't coming back!

Saw Mac perform a week or so ago. He was sub-par and seemed very angry, ranting about record labels and such. Sad to watch....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 18, 2009 17:58

Ha ha. It's all pointless. Just because some people want to play does not mean it will be great. It will just be people getting together to play. And play nothing new, all old. Great songs, yes.

Date: November 18, 2009 18:06

Just because some people want to play does not mean it will be great.

Agreed. Tour is pointless without Rod Stewart. How can EPTAS, BB, or even Miss Judy's Farm sound authenic if entire band is not present??

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:23

mac's bump band plays some of the old faces' standby's pretty well. but, then again scrapper does a better faces-era ronnie than ronnie himself does nowadays...i have zero interest in seeing this abomination....

Date: November 18, 2009 18:40

Well maybe it's a good idea. Stones announce tour at same time and ask Mick Taylor to fill in for Ron Wood. In other words, Faces will not tour.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:45

tatters
Very SMALL theatres.

Puppet show and Faces . . .

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:48

Perhaps they should tour under a new name without Rod, Noel Gallagher is doing it , a new Oasis but not using the name. I'm sure people would go and see them just because of the names of the people in the band. Them Crooked Crows are going to tour and i'm sure they'll be a big draw, again because of who's in the band.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:03

hmmm...maybe with hucknall (simply red) and the fact that this is all rather embarrassing - the Red Faces

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:50

For it to work Ronnie will have to use the old ampegs and z guitars. His tone was just as critical to the faces as rod's voice.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:24

I hope they do tour.

Maybe in some minds they need Rod to be "authentic" but I could really care less about that. As long as they sound good I'm all for it and if I get the chance I will go see them play. Mick Hucknall sounds a lot better to my ears these days than Rod anyway.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:33

Can't see the point without Rod but I'd love to see Ian, Ron and Kenney play. I only hope can play like he did with Faces back in the the day. He was free to do what he wanted in those days and wasn't second fiddle.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:06

You put Ron Wood and Mac in the room, and you've basically got the Faces sound.

Add the amazing Kenney Jones and it just gets deeper.

I don't care if His Lordship sings or not. Macs a great vocalist, and with Stewart not there I hope they do a lot of Mac's excellent solo stuff.

I will be there.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:15

Bringing Rod Stewart's not an option. The promotors didn't want him.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 18, 2009 23:04

The best band to promote Rod's Soul album would be ...The Faces, of course! Theyx have done so in the 70s. Actually, it would have been better to record his Soul album with the original Faces as most songs I've heard lack the Faces' punch! Dear Roderick, do as in the 70s: Play your songs with the best backing band available and do some of theirs (you actually have written more than half of them, too, if you don't remember?!).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home