Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Criss Cross Man?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 13, 2009 01:08

I have often read about this track from the Goats head Soup sessions. There was even a review of GHS in one of the trade papers at the time that mentioned this track and Tops as if it was on the album. Was there an advance pressing that contained these songs? Also, I have never heard Criss Cross. Anyone know where I can find it?

Re: Criss Cross Man?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 13, 2009 02:25

AWESOME TUNE!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:15

I've read that it was used in a film at the time, sadly I do not know the name of it. Does anybody have this movie that I'm referring to???

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:21

It was called, of all things, Metamorphosis.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:24

Correct title is Criss Cross Mind.

Wasnt on any early pressings or anything as far as I'm aware - nor was 'Tops'.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:34

Actually the title reported in "Rolling Stone" prior to the album's release was "Criss Cross". But I agree Mick sings "mind" not "man".

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 13, 2009 04:35

The Rolling Stone reported listed tracks the band was then mixing at Island Records. "Criss Corss" was among them. They weren't at the final selection yet and it was cut before then.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 13, 2009 06:25

Great tune! Thanks for posting it, Skipstone. It has classic Open G guitar but also the Goats Head Soup era clavinet and wah-wah. Wish they would have put this on the GHS reissue! Why don't the Stones release stuff like this? A real Rarities!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 13, 2009 07:05

skipstone
It was called, of all things, Metamorphosis.

Never saw it. Was that an animated film?

I vaguely recall a film that came out in the early/mid-70's had a rock soundtrack with the Stones listed as one of the artists. Might have been from Japan. The poster/newspaper ad art had running horses. The title could have been Metamorphosis, but there's no listing for it in the Stones imdb.com entry.

Criss Cross Man is a good track, and certainly should have made the cut for GHS.

Date: November 13, 2009 12:20

"blood transfusion.." Must be some Keith-words in there winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-13 15:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 13, 2009 14:51

Glam Descendant
Actually the title reported in "Rolling Stone" prior to the album's release was "Criss Cross". But I agree Mick sings "mind" not "man".

Yeah, I can never understand why its often listed as 'Criss Cross Man' as in the context of the lyrics it makes no grammatical sense (ie "Givin' me a Criss Cross Man"). Same with 'Gangster's Moll', which sometimes gets bootlegged as 'Gangster's Maul'.

Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the bridge of this song and that in Primal Scream's "Rocks"? Its almost identical.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 13, 2009 15:08

Gazza
Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the bridge of this song and that in Primal Scream's "Rocks"? Its almost identical.

I always thought that Primal Scream often tried to sound like the Stones!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: November 13, 2009 15:29

Not to mention the lyric "Bitches keep bitchin'" lifted from Little T & A.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 13, 2009 17:27

loog droog
Criss Cross Man is a good track, and certainly should have made the cut for GHS.

Yes, it should have replaced Silver Train.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 13, 2009 21:01

rootsman
Gazza

I always thought that Primal Scream often tried to sound like the Stones!

And the Primal Scream song called "Loaded". It sounds almost like a Sympathy For The Devil remix. The piano is exactly the same. It's hard to believe Abkco never sued them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home