Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sympathy for the Devil documentary
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 30, 2006 01:05

I know many of oyu have seen this.I am downloading a piece from it and I wonder how time lasts and if it worts to see.

Re: Sympathy for the Devil documentary
Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: April 30, 2006 02:12

It must be One plus One , the Film/documentary made by Jean Luc Godard [www.imdb.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 30, 2006 02:21

Its worts to see Strato.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 30, 2006 02:23

I assume you're talking about the Jean Luc Godard film from 1968. I saw it a couple of years ago for the first time and was bored to death. The only redeeming feature I found was watching the Stones creating the song in the studio. What really turned me off, though, was all the attention paid to a lot of gun-toting Black Panthers hanging around a junkyard. That opinion is biased considering I live in an inner-city part of he States. Go to www.imdb.com and you can get complete information and reviews.

Date: April 30, 2006 02:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 02:28 by ryanpow.

Date: April 30, 2006 02:28

the way I interpreded this movie is that it contrasts the counter culture movement with the stones. The stones were associated with the Counter Culter Revolotion. but this film depicts the the counter culter revolution as beeing totally fragmented . The stones are not fragemented at all . They take fragemented peices of music one by one or "One plus one"
and methodically put it together to make a song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 02:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 30, 2006 03:12

I once read that Godard had wanted to film The Beatles in '68 (doing "Revolution" but how would he have known about it before it was recorded?) for the movie, couldn't get them, and "settled" for the Stones instead.

Which is a lucky break for us, considering it documents the sessions of one of their greatest tracks ever.

The idea of the Stones being a part of some radical movement is forgotten these days. Their counterculture status in the 60's had a lot of people hanging their revolution fantasies on them. One radical paper denounced Jagger in '69 for not taking a stand by flashing a raised fist and following it with a peace sign during a show.

Having it both ways will pop up years later when Jagger insists "Sweet Neo Con" isn't about George Bush. But this will be long after The Stones insist, "It's only rock and roll."

The "radical" stuff in One Plus One is a unique time capsule, and I encourage everyone to experience it. And eat your vegetables.

To me, one of the most unforgettable parts in that film is when they come back to the sessions, and you see Keith is now playing the bass. Your first thought is, "Well what is Bill doing then?" The camera tracks over and you finally see him, stone-faced, holding that sad little percussion instrument.

The indignity of it all.

Bill never relates that experience in his book, and that was the one story I really wanted to hear.

Date: April 30, 2006 03:59

yeah, its just fascinating watching them work in the studio. the way the song takes shape. It starts out sounding like shit. When they add the bongos, thats when It really takes off. Theres one part where Niki Hopkins is playing organ before he switched to piano. I like when Mick talks about it after words. He laughs and says "remember that OTHER beat we were doing? What was that all about? it was completley different!"

Date: April 30, 2006 04:04

loog droog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Having it both ways will pop up years later when
> Jagger insists "Sweet Neo Con" isn't about George
> Bush. But this will be long after The Stones
> insist, "It's only rock and roll."
>
Another having it both ways example is "Neo Con" and how this tour was sponosored by Ameriuest. Bush appointed someone from Ameriquest as an ambassador to some nation, I dont remmeber which one.
personally, I dont hold it against them. but, It is an example of the having it both ways idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 04:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 30, 2006 05:00

If you are a serious stones fan, buy it. The studio stuff well makes up for the other half, keith and charlie , it's very cool, watch it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 30, 2006 05:03

forligan Wrote:
> If you are a serious stones fan....

Don't worry, he's not.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 30, 2006 07:04

In terms of looks alone, this video is my all-time favorite Keith Richards look, especially, the white shirt on the bar stool, playing the bass. He's absolutely perfect there IMO. Takes my breath away.

If it already hasn't been done, I wish someone would put that video out with just the Stones part, I hate having to fast forward through all the rest of it. But the Stones part is worth it's weight in gold. I

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 30, 2006 07:05

no wonder you ain't lookin' too good - what're u doin up at this ungodly hour?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 30, 2006 07:10

hahaha tods drunk!

Date: April 30, 2006 07:11

not yet!

Date: April 30, 2006 07:15

StonesTod Wrote:
no wonder you ain't lookin' too good - what're u doin up at this ungodly hour?

It's only 12:15!!! You didn't say crap the other day when I was up posting at 4:00 am!

Date: April 30, 2006 07:19

but I thought it

Date: April 30, 2006 07:23

So are all you guys drunk and enjoying your Keith night?

I can't play loud music tonight, so you'll have to enjoy some for me.

Date: April 30, 2006 07:24

i'm not drunk, i'm just drinkin' (good song by that name, btw)

Date: April 30, 2006 07:26

I don't know that song. It sounds country-ish though. Who's it by?

Date: April 30, 2006 07:28

Albert Collins and Geoff Muldaur both do nice versions - blooze song....heard of either guy?

Date: April 30, 2006 07:32

Yeah, I know a little bit of Albert Collins, not the other guy though. I have a double cd of his that came out in the early 90's. I have to confess though, the first time I ever even heard of him was in that Adventures in Babysitting movie. He had a great scene in that one. That movie also had Gimme Shelter in it YAY!

Date: April 30, 2006 07:36

Collins was a blooze icon - "Master of the Telecaster" - died about a decade ago. One of the greats. Muldaur was married to Maria Muldaur (Midnight at the Oasis) - he was in Butterfield's Better Days band among other highlights - he's still around. Great singer....

Date: April 30, 2006 07:38

Was she also an actress? Born Free comes to mind.

Date: April 30, 2006 07:43

don't think so - she's still around - just had a comeback album last year. Remembe the bluesy hit from around '74 - I'm a Woman (W-Ooooo-M-A-N)...not the Helen Reddy hit...(I was a dj around then)

Date: April 30, 2006 07:47

I am sure I know that song, I listened to a lot of radio back then.

Also, I think the one I'm thinking of is Dina Muldaur.

Lot's of dj's or former dj's on this site. Pretty cool.

Date: April 30, 2006 07:49

tough way to make a living. my brother did it until a couple of years ago - was a big time guy in the midwest with a syndicated radio and tv interview show. we used to dj at different stations in same towns - lotsa fun stories there...used to cue up songs together

Date: April 30, 2006 07:51

StonesTod Wrote:

lotsa fun stories
> there...used to cue up songs together

That does sound like fun. Hey how old are you, I don't know why, but I was thinking you were like 47/48. You would've been a really young dj back in the early 70's, or am I mixing you up with someone else.

Date: April 30, 2006 07:53

you might be mixing me up with T&A....but then again I do that too....right, JJF?

yeah I'm in that range...started dj'ing at 14 (when voiced drop)

Date: April 30, 2006 07:58

That's ok, people get me mixed up with Jessica Alba all the time too (i wish)

14, that's impressive, I don't know what I was doing at 14, probably making prank phone calls to cute boys with my girlfriends (is Billy home?, OMG HE"S HOME, HANG UP!!!!HAHAHAHAHA) Those were the days.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home