Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I'm Free live
Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: November 4, 2009 19:43

With the new live version of I'm Free out,just wondering what is everyones favorite live version?
Oakland 69
Stripped
Hyde Park 69
New Ya Yas version
Shine a Light
I think my favorite is the Hyde Park one followed by the Stripped version.I like em all but those 2 come first.Bill's bass on the Hyde Park version does it for me.

Coming Down Again

Re: I'm Free live
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 4, 2009 19:45

I adore Oakland version, the rhythm's strong like never before and solo is just cute, but everybody seems to look at the song as the setlist's low-point.

Date: November 4, 2009 19:54

The intro to the Oakland version just sucks you in,by the time Mick comes in singing you're like Awww Shit...Ps great song anyway.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 4, 2009 20:02

i think the hyde park version is the best. but the other 69 versions are great too. i don't like the stripped version, the beacon version sounds unrehearsed...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 4, 2009 20:13

Perhaps my favorite Stones song and Oakland '69, 2nd show, is probably my favorite version. The song was reworked with minor 7th chord on the verse and a slower tempo which gave it a melancholy feel which almost seemed to cast doubt on if the singer was really free. I love the guitar solo (though I wouldn't call it cute. Can you explain why you do Amused?) and there is great phrase that Mick plays at around the 5 minute mark that I found to be beautifully understated and lyrical. This version is tied with the Under My Thumb/I'm Free medley from MSG on 27th November. When I first heard it I didn't know that Under My Thumb would segue into I'm Free. I was completely blown away. I love Mick and Keith's guitar interplay on the segue and the riff that Keith plays during the verses on I'm Free (and between verses on Under My Thumb. Keith likes this one, as he has used it a few times) I'm very excited that this version is out on the new Ya Yas release!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-04 20:17 by ChrisM.

Date: November 4, 2009 20:20

There is something in the Stripped version that seems as if you can tell Mick and Keith are thinking of those times 65-69,anyway this is one of there songs that is very underrated.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 4, 2009 20:26

I don't like the song so no live version works for me. There's just something about the song that irritates the hell out of me.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 5, 2009 10:54

the best live version is the studi version. unbelieveble mistakes of charlie in such a millionseller song

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 5, 2009 11:26

Oakland, Boston, San Diego 69, even though only audience sound quality; great rhythm guitar of Keith, brilliant solo of Mick Taylor, complete other, more "spherical" character than the version from Ya Ya's Deluxe.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 5, 2009 12:45

I apologise for the negativity in such a positive thread, but the Shine A Light Version is bloody terrible. Staid, unimaginative, one-dimensional. Every other version I've heard is better than that one - I quite like the one on Stripped.

I nearly always play the song myself, with a little harmonica break in the middle, when I play acoustic sets in pubs. It's a good one because a lot of people know it, although in England I think that's primarily down to the Soup Dragons' version (not very good) which was a big hit here in 1990.

Date: November 5, 2009 14:51

I like Keiths vocals on the Shine A Light version.
That version is as close to the studio version as anyone they ever did.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 5, 2009 14:55

Hyde Park version for me.

includes a trademark Taylor solo...Jagger's vocals are also suited by the slightly quicker pace of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-05 14:57 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:32

The Ft Collins 1969 version is very good IMO, but the audio quality of this show is lacking. Taylor plays some very interesting sequences that I haven't heard on other versions.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 5, 2009 20:02

He does indeed. Some rather avant garde stuff that he tried on the first show of the tour. A rather inventive guitarist is our Mick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home