Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wayne Perkins on Bob Marley, "Hand Of Fate" and auditioning for the Stones
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2010 12:15

Thanks, nice article. Still painful after all those years,that Keith/Wayne story.
With Perkins,or any similar player on guitar ,the Stones would have been a different band.Maybe less commercial,but far more exiting musically spoken. They choose the shallow/safe way.
A bloody shame.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 15, 2010 13:18

Marhsall
WAYNE PERKINS (1951- )

Before he auditioned for Mick Taylor's replacement and recorded with the Stones in 1974-75, American guitarist Wayne Perkins had recorded with artists such as Albert King, the Everly Brothers, Lonnie Mack, Ronnie Milsap, P. F. Sloan, Bob Marley (1973's Catch a Fire) and Joni Mitchell (1974's Court and Spark). Perkins was the favorite candidate along with Ron Wood to get the job. He started contributing early on (1974) in the Black and Blue sessions, and wound up playing on songs like Fool to Cry, Memory Motel and Hand of Fate. Some of the work he recorded there also later wound up on Tattoo You (Slave, Worried About You).

Like Mandel, Perkins' career somewhat aborted after that disappointment. He did went on to play until the mid-1980s, forming a short-lived group called Crimson Tide and recording with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Levon Helm, Glenn Frey and the Oak Ridge Boys.

SLAVE!!! I never knew he played on this track! very cool

I always though it was Pete Townshend who played lead guitar on slave. He was playing in that choppy style a lot around the time of Face Dances which came out at the same time.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 15, 2010 14:13

Townshend sang backing vocals on "Slave" although I don't think they made the final mix (just as he and Ronnie Lane contributed vocals on CYHMK a decade before). He doesn't play guitar on either track. For that, you have to wait for his rather disappointing contributions to SHE'S THE BOSS and GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY. In theory, Jagger and Townshend should have been a great team, but the results left a lot to be desired. Perhaps it would have been different had they written together.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 15, 2010 14:17

I knew Wayne did the awesome solo to Worried About You, but I didn't know he played on Slave. Interesting! ... With reference to the common story about Jeff Beck playing on Slave but his track being wiped for Tattoo You, can anybody here please confirm if the circulating Slave bootleg track actually has Jeff on it?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 15, 2010 14:38

Thank you for posting

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 15, 2010 14:41

Thanks. Interesting read.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 15, 2010 16:24

Thanks!
Great read. Made me go back to the Black and Blue Sessions bootleg and rediscover Wayne. As noted elsewhere, very similar to Taylors playing. Great tone and vibrato.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2010 16:31

The solo in Slave is Keith because Keith is the only guitar on the track. If Perkins is on the song, he sure ain't up in the mix.

But what Perkins says shows that they were interested in the track for Black And Blue.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 15, 2010 18:12

What a great article. Fascinating that Perkins plays on some of their best songs from this period.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 15, 2010 18:25

Amsterdamned
They choose the shallow/safe way.

And sealed their fate, musically.

Wayne would have been an excellent choice, but I think it wouldn't have worked in the (long?) run either. Not because of Wayne, not because of the music, not because of the musical trends, but because of the band's power structure and the Jagger-Richards relationship. Perkins has described it up here rather adequately, I guess. He would have been crushed, just like what has happened with Ron Wood.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2010 18:43

awesome stroy .for me it does not get any better that to have eric clapton himself dial up the glimmers to get wayne a audition .there you have the stamp of greatness from eric clapton himself .that is the top of the summit!!!!!!love those solos on hand of fate and worried about you .

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2010 19:26

without Ronnie, then Some Girls would not exist as it is!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:44

Always loved Perkins since I first learned of his great playing on Concrete Jungle!

Tracks like Hand of fate, Hot Stuff, Memory Motel and Worried about you show what a great musician can do with a song.

Players like Perkins could have done a lot of great and exciting things to the Stones' body of work.

But as much as I'd liked some more thrilling instrumental work to their stuff, - in the long run Mick & Keith were probably right with their decisions.

Not so much musically but for endurance and survival of the band!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:21

first of all iam glad ronnie got the gig but it was a little messed up what they did to wayne, why drag him along like that?

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:02

Hey Skip, if you can't sleep, like myself!, hit me up....

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:28

Marhsall
Hey Skip, if you can't sleep, like myself!, hit me up....

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down''

hmm...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home