Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Love You Live/El Mocambo
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 4, 2009 21:44

LYL has its moments - IORR on Side 4 is crackin' - but in my mind the undeniable highlight is the El Mocambo side. I always felt the Stones should have released the entire club gig and eschewed the stadium schtick for this album...much more interesting than the usual bombast and bellowing in a Hockey arena.

The El Mocambo sides crackles with energy, atmosphere, and electricity...you can almost smell the sweat and smoke and booze oozing from the tracks. What an interesting, fantastic album THAT would have been. Mistakes, bum notes and all...that would have been a real document of the mid-70's Stones...funky, loose, and brave...and it would have been revolutionary.

Instead LYL was yet another rock superstar stadium monolith, of which about 25-30 were released per annum in those days...the El Mocambo side was and remains stunning in its directness and verve...

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 4, 2009 21:53

Ringo Kid
Do somebody know the setlists for both nights?
And what was the name they were announced as those nights? The Cockroaches?

As far as I know the Stones were announced as April Wine.

The setlists according to Nico's database:

770304A 4th March: Toronto, Canada, El Mocambo Tavern, incl.
(Route 66/Honky Tonk Women/Hand Of Fate/Fool To Cry/Crazy Mama/
Crackin’ Up/Around And Around/Melody/Star Star/Worried About You/
Let’s Spend The Night Together/Band introduction/Little Red Rooster/Luxury/
Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)
Note: Soundboard recording was made by Eddie Kramer. Some songs are
unverified.

770305A 5th March: Toronto, Canada, El Mocambo Tavern
(Honky Tonk Women/All Down The Line/Hand Of Fate/Route 66/Fool To Cry/
Crazy Mama/Mannish Boy/Crackin’ Up/Dance Little Sister/Around And Around/
Tumbling Dice/Happy/Hot Stuff/Star Star/Worried About You/Let’s Spend The
Night Together/Worried Life Blues/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Rip This Joint/
Band introduction/Little Red Rooster/Luxury/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)
Note: Soundboard recording was made by Eddie Kramer. Some songs are
unverified.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: November 4, 2009 22:30

April Wine opened the show. The Cockroaches were a pseudonym the Stones used.

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: November 4, 2009 22:44

I've also just heard that they used the name April Wine, after the canadian band with the same name. Never heard that before.
Much more songs on the 2nd night. I think it looks strange, but have no real idea. If it says so on Nico's site, I believe that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 4, 2009 23:11

No instruments overdubbed on their live albums? HA! There is a third guitar on LSTNT on Still Life for one. Neighbours on Licks. Vocal O/Ds galore on all of the albums.

Mannish Boy from The Mocambo has Mick O/Ding a harmonica AND the screaming. That's just pitiful. The drugs must have been great back then for them to think that that was a good idea. Can't recall anything about 5 guitars on Crackin' Up.

I've always wished to hear more from The Mocambo.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: November 4, 2009 23:17

April Wine released a live album from their gig opening for the Stones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_El_Mocambo

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 4, 2009 23:22

@#$%&
April Wine opened the show. The Cockroaches were a pseudonym the Stones used.

From Wiki:

"In mid-1977, April Wine was booked to play a charity concert at the famed El Mocambo Club in Toronto, Ontario. Co-headliner on the bill was a band called "The Cockroaches," who turned out to be The Rolling Stones. The pseudonym was a poorly kept secret and huge crowds turned out for the event. April Wine's performance was captured and released as the album Live at the El Mocambo. The band got its first chance at touring the U.S. following the El Mocambo gig, first opening for The Rolling Stones, then for various popular headliners, including Styx, and fellow Canadian band Rush."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 5, 2009 00:32

>> If it says so on Nico's site, I believe that. <<

Nico's site is brilliant, of course, and one of the most brilliant parts is that he makes it clear when it's speculation.
note the "Some songs are unverified" - we just don't know for sure what the setlists were.

Posted by: SeanC ()
Date: November 5, 2009 01:41

is there any chance of a post of this version of the gig?? The one UrbanSteel posted - is that VGP version? The artwork has no record label logo that I have?
Im confused as I didnt realise there more versions and sources of these shows - my ears are like junkies for this!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 5, 2009 04:26

Time for the Stones to do what Dylan has done, and selectively release watershed concerts from their career. The whole El Mocambo gig would be a great subject for one such release.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: November 5, 2009 05:08

Amen Great response . This is the album that got me into the Stones . Always love to hear this !

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 5, 2009 05:38

if someone would just be brave enough to remix some of these albums it would help so much. the edit between honky tonk women and if you can't rock me is atrocious. the sound is awesome initially but then 'if you can't' starts up and the kick drum disappears. same with 'hot stuff' and a few others. it is really inconsistent.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 16, 2017 23:25

Four Stone Walls
Thanks Mathjis,

You can hear 5 guitars on Cracking Up?

Always liked Ronnie's contribution on CU - and now you imply that it wasn't live? Nor Keith's?

Bah, Humbug.

Cracking up: If you compare the youtube videos from the bootleg to Love you Live, you will hear there is a guitar missing right at the beginning. Simply because Ronny wasnt playing until a few seconds later.

LYL at second 9: [www.youtube.com]
NO guitar at second 5: [www.youtube.com]

The guitars are live there are just more guitars added. Mostly licks.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 17, 2017 05:12

LYL should have been all El Mocambo. Double live albums were the rage of 1977 after the success of FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 17, 2017 05:23

71Tele
The Stones on the El Mocambo side of LYL are vibrant, tight, crisp, and sound great. The other three sides are lackluster, and the band sounds tired and murky. My question: Does anyone know why they didn't just take the entire live LP from the El Mocambo performances instead of using tapes of the 76 European tour for most of it? Did they not play complete sets at El Mocambo? This has always puzzled me.

Try side 4 again

Date: May 17, 2017 23:42

exilestones
71Tele
The Stones on the El Mocambo side of LYL are vibrant, tight, crisp, and sound great. The other three sides are lackluster, and the band sounds tired and murky. My question: Does anyone know why they didn't just take the entire live LP from the El Mocambo performances instead of using tapes of the 76 European tour for most of it? Did they not play complete sets at El Mocambo? This has always puzzled me.

Try side 4 again

Then: try side 1 again. And turn it up!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2017 15:41

Bashlets
LYL should have been all El Mocambo.

And it would have been the third time in a row (73 75 76) a Stones tour was not covered by a live release...? Unthinkable, so yes LYL had to feature 75-76 live material.

Date: May 18, 2017 16:16

The overdubs on Crackin up are acutally quite nice. I guess it is Ronny.

But it sounds like there are no overdubs on JJF if I compare it to the video. Even keith little @#$%& up made it on the record.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 19, 2017 02:11

schwonek

No, it's Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 14:05 by Koen.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 19, 2017 11:08

dcba
Bashlets
LYL should have been all El Mocambo.

And it would have been the third time in a row (73 75 76) a Stones tour was not covered by a live release...? Unthinkable, so yes LYL had to feature 75-76 live material.

Sixth time: 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976.

They were contractually not allowed to release any ABKCO owned material on a live release until December 31, 1975.

Mathijs

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: May 19, 2017 12:02

Great live album, love all the El Mocambo side but above all i can't ever get enough of IORR from Toronto. Every version of IORR since that show disappoints.

Date: May 19, 2017 12:04

stone4ever
Great live album, love all the El Mocambo side but above all i can't ever get enough of IORR from Toronto. Every version of IORR since that show disappoints.

That's perhaps a bit strong, Riffie, but that LYL version of IORR is really cooking!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 19, 2017 13:06

Thanks for reminding me of this album. I'm listening to El Mocambo bootleg right now, and indeed, it's very good.
And yes, so is the IORR version on LYL.
The only sad thing is, it sort of makes you miss the Rolling Stones.

Date: May 19, 2017 13:14

There are great latter-day version as well. This one cooks!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:17

Yes, that's a good one too. A bit more polished, but with a lot of power.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: May 19, 2017 22:59

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever

That's perhaps a bit strong, Riffie, but that LYL version of IORR is really cooking!

I still enjoy it played over the years but I can't recall it having this much drive and build up towards the end. It's just so alive with the piano and the band at full tilt, Keith coming through loud on back up vocals.
Does anyone know if it was recorded visually ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 00:25 by stone4ever.

Date: May 19, 2017 23:12

Koen
schwonek

No, it's Ronnie.

Damn it. I knew there was something off about it.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 19, 2017 23:58

Anyone for a LYL deluxe release with a complete Mocambo set and a Paris 76 blu ray?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 20, 2017 00:00

DrPete
Anyone for a LYL deluxe release with a complete Mocambo set and a Paris 76 blu ray?
+1!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 20, 2017 00:26

Rollin' Stoner
DrPete
+1!

Yeah that would be lovely : a DVD/CD 1976/77 combo would be lovely.

Videojames if you read this thread... cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home